Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ogre

OT: The Gardening Thread

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, ubkev said:

Oh yeah, @Ogre! Well I got 6600 sq feet of land and most of that is the footprint of the house! Lol. Damn, I wish I had land! You really make me jealous. Every picture looks awesome.

Thank you. Lots of work though. And the rocks! My God the rocks! I’ve retained the sides of the driveway with them, covered the under workings of the deck with them, gardened around them and built this retaining wall complete with stone stairs. Every single one those rocks were from the property and I have piles of them yet. When I dig a hole, no matter how small, I find more rocks!

1C544D1D-B784-4E43-8D13-88ACB617FBEA.jpeg

21BD4050-5635-4F5E-8CBC-C3467B09C49F.jpeg

4A6CD795-1122-4FBA-A3C0-189602F4252F.jpeg

B2468D29-AC55-4BB4-868D-7814435072DF.jpeg

66EE6D77-D8B7-4B8E-86D9-8843338F52AF.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean @Ogre. Just the other day as I was planting my peppers and cucumbers, I pulled out enough rocks to successfully paper weight my patio tablecloth.

...that's the same, right?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@Ogre, fantastic!!

We are in the process of moving much of our 20+ year old perinial garden to the new house.  Including smallish rodos and magnolias, assorted trees, assorted bushes and such.  It's a pretty big job, but we are determined not to leave it all behind.

Thank you. I am totally with you! I moved as many of mine as I could when we built the house. These peonies have lived a long storied life. They were my great-grandmother’s. My mother moved them to her property when her mom went into assisted living. I got them ten years ago and have moved them 3 times. I love having that connection to my past so we added some of her grandmother’s irises to “Fossil Rock”as well. We have two beloved pets buried here so it’s a fitting memorial.  Look closely and you’ll see why we call it that.

CC73DFA0-7AB2-484C-BF0E-8B2D7CC9E75B.jpeg

8BF49610-9EA1-4FAA-B4CA-2788808FF273.jpeg

83B9B4E5-87F9-4463-AEE1-6FEE86FD5850.jpeg

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Chipies are cute.  I saw one just this morning.  I named him Chippy Weasel.

Why? Does he look like Brad  Marchand? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Snakes

I keep my topsoil for the taters under a tarp and there’s always a dozen or more snakes under there. There was a big fat one next this guy put he was too fast for a pic. Haven’t seen one chipmunk around here!

771729CF-FAA1-4162-8158-DB73BF7EB5FD.jpeg

C5E1B505-2BE1-4FC2-8148-816A2C36577D.jpeg

2 hours ago, rakish said:

A few years ago I built a greenhouse, but this year I decided I didn't need 8' walls, I just needed to keep the groundhogs out, so I broke it down to 3 feet. Growing 3 or 4 kinds of tomatoes, zucchini, honeynut squash, basil, oregano.

The blue bucket foreground is goldfish to provide some nitrogen, doesn't work as well as I had hoped, maybe I need more goldfish.

Tomatoes started to flower this week.

greenhouse.JPG

tomato.JPG

I love it. Great use of reclaimed materials!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ogre said:

I keep my topsoil for the taters under a tarp and there’s always a dozen or more snakes under there. There was a big fat one next this guy put he was too fast for a pic. Haven’t seen one chipmunk around here!

771729CF-FAA1-4162-8158-DB73BF7EB5FD.jpeg

C5E1B505-2BE1-4FC2-8148-816A2C36577D.jpeg

And you won't see any either! Good critters to have around. They don't bother people and they keep pests out of your plants. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Thank you. I am totally with you! I moved as many of mine as I could when we built the house. These peonies have lived a long storied life. They were my great-grandmother’s. My mother moved them to her property when her mom went into assisted living. I got them ten years ago and have moved them 3 times. I love having that connection to my past so we added some of her grandmother’s irises to “Fossil Rock”as well. We have two beloved pets buried here so it’s a fitting memorial.  Look closely and you’ll see why we call it that.

CC73DFA0-7AB2-484C-BF0E-8B2D7CC9E75B.jpeg

8BF49610-9EA1-4FAA-B4CA-2788808FF273.jpeg

83B9B4E5-87F9-4463-AEE1-6FEE86FD5850.jpeg

Damned glaciers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Damned glaciers...

Had a lengthy conversation with the Ontario county water and soil guy while we were doing the perk test for the septic. Basically hanging out and waiting for water to drain from these holes in the ground. He started telling  me about the Canandaigua loam on one side of the property vs the Honeoye loam on the other. Apparently the glacier stopped halfway through my property. 
 

According to the reports from the two wells that have been drilled here, I have 12” of topsoil, 12” of clay and 190’ of gravel/rocks all the way to bedrock. 
 

Need some rocks?

Edited by Ogre
Autocorrected to glazier but those are hot dogs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this bad boy sunning himself in the yard today while I was mowing. Northern Water Snake. Known to our family as our frog and rodent eating neighbor, Mr. Snakerson.

IMG_20200605_113800.jpg

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Found this bad boy sunning himself in the yard today while I was mowing. Northern Water Snake. Known to our family as our frog and rodent eating neighbor, Mr. Snakerson.

IMG_20200605_113800.jpg

That's on big ***** snake!!

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
it look like it could have me for lunch ... I'm not a fan of big snakes ... small ones I can tolerate
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been growing hardneck and softneck garlic for a couple of years now. Maybe 50 plants of each. The German hardneck grows much better at my place but the softneck originally came from an older Italian gentleman who I'm sure has now passed.  I'm partial to the softneck, as the fellow brought it from Italy with him. Garlic is super easy to grow, and you can enjoy it pretty much all year long. 

Also have a couple cherry tomatoes, green peppers, heirloom tomatoes, and scorpion peppers......and 2 years ago, planted 8 elderberry plants. This year I'll have berries! Maybe enough for a pie if I can keep the birds away......

Miracle grow is your friend.....

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garlic ... yummy.

@hsif, I take it you dry some at harvest time and plant it late in the fall.  You are right garlic is easy to grow.  Good luck with you bird issue.  We have a number of wild elder at the old garden and are taking some small cuttings to the new house.  We never harvested the berries, but it was a hoot to watch the birds eat them.  They would always over indulge and they would get stoned from eating too many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, hsif said:

Been growing hardneck and softneck garlic for a couple of years now. Maybe 50 plants of each. The German hardneck grows much better at my place but the softneck originally came from an older Italian gentleman who I'm sure has now passed.  I'm partial to the softneck, as the fellow brought it from Italy with him. Garlic is super easy to grow, and you can enjoy it pretty much all year long. 

Also have a couple cherry tomatoes, green peppers, heirloom tomatoes, and scorpion peppers......and 2 years ago, planted 8 elderberry plants. This year I'll have berries! Maybe enough for a pie if I can keep the birds away......

Miracle grow is your friend.....

I used to pick garlic in the muck as a summer job. Endless fields of the blackest dirt ever. Good money for a teenager. I still grab a braid from there when I'm home in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I used to pick garlic in the muck as a summer job. Endless fields of the blackest dirt ever. Good money for a teenager. I still grab a braid from there when I'm home in the summer.

My son worked a few summers in the muck.  Onions, tomatoes, potatoes, squash...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our space is really limited, so we’re doing the best we can with what we have.

 

82CCA485-FE40-46C5-B38E-B487E74C7953.jpeg

3049E651-2C03-447A-A7BF-6B1D05CC9699.jpeg

83F010F0-A235-42C9-AFA0-B4EA34840244.jpeg

DF71EA82-A5D0-44C2-80D8-8B3B764646F1.jpeg

85E1CD6A-A270-467A-A855-A75BCD0B20D7.jpeg

Oops! Lest I forget. Mrs. CC is looking forward to seeing roses pop out.

DC9A18C7-790C-444F-A72A-7C534C50A0A4.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Weave said:

My son worked a few summers in the muck.  Onions, tomatoes, potatoes, squash...

Yup. Picked pumpkins and squash in the fall one year too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@hsif, I take it you dry some at harvest time and plant it late in the fall.

yep....the bigger cloves go back into the ground around Oct 15th...…. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weave said:

My son worked a few summers in the muck.  Onions, tomatoes, potatoes, squash...

My dad was a produce manager and went on to work for a grocery wholesaler in the southern tier. I have a vague memory of taking a day trip with him one day when I was pretty young through what I think he called "Muckland." I remember him talking about the soil. South of Rochester somewhere, I think.

Funny memory to come back all of a sudden. Muckland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hsif said:

Tom Rivers is a local treasure.  He's published a couple of books about the area.  Spent a year working in the fields along side tmigrant workers and published the story..  Good stuff.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

My dad was a produce manager and went on to work for a grocery wholesaler in the southern tier. I have a vague memory of taking a day trip with him one day when I was pretty young through what I think he called "Muckland." I remember him talking about the soil. South of Rochester somewhere, I think.

Funny memory to come back all of a sudden. Muckland.

Close.  South and west of Rochester.  It's a weird place to drive through.  The roads are higher than the fields, so you are looking down on them.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We survived the crows. The spots they decimated were replanted with beans. So it’s a push I guess. This large unfenced garden is over planted because of the vermin. Now it’s the deer eating the sunflowers. They did the same thing last year and I didn’t have an answer. This time I put DoppleOgre back up and made a gallon of dried habanero tea and sprayed the entire garden. I guess I’ll see if they eat very many more by tomorrow.

I’m watering with 150 gallons every day it’s so dry. I’m hammering my orchard with 100 gallons every other day and it’s really paying off. It’s exhausting though. 
 

My heirloom popcorn is definitely going to be knee high by the Fourth of July and if my habanero spray works I may actually get to eat some this year.

 

6B22940E-A643-4700-B83A-1D39902E93EB.jpeg

9BFB7C2E-78C7-45A6-8713-E0A87815F0F7.jpeg

Edited by Ogre
NOT orchid. Weird autocorrect
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ogre said:

We survived the crows. The spots they decimated were replanted with beans. So it’s a push I guess. This large unfenced garden is over planted because of the vermin. Now it’s the deer eating the sunflowers. They did the same thing last year and I didn’t have an answer. This time I put DoppleOgre back up and made a gallon of dried habanero tea and sprayed the entire garden. I guess I’ll see if they eat very many more by tomorrow.

I’m watering with 150 gallons every day it’s so dry. I’m hammering my orchard with 100 gallons every other day and it’s really paying off. It’s exhausting though. 
 

My heirloom popcorn is definitely going to be knee high by the Fourth of July and if my habanero spray works I may actually get to eat some this year.

 

6B22940E-A643-4700-B83A-1D39902E93EB.jpeg

9BFB7C2E-78C7-45A6-8713-E0A87815F0F7.jpeg

You and all your land!!! That's it I'm posting my garden pictures tomorrow. I'll show you!!!

 

 

I'm so friggin jealous, btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ubkev said:

You and all your land!!! That's it I'm posting my garden pictures tomorrow. I'll show you!!!

 

 

I'm so friggin jealous, btw.

That’s just my experimental garden. I’ve crawled on my knees to pick rocks, plant seeds, pull weeds. My back! My knees! Very small gains so far. The raised bed fenced in gardens are the easy ones. 
 

I saw an Amish dude up North that had a big wheeled cart that had an open bottom that he could lay prone, pull himself along and do his business. That makes ME jealous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ogre said:

That’s just my experimental garden. I’ve crawled on my knees to pick rocks, plant seeds, pull weeds. My back! My knees! Very small gains so far. The raised bed fenced in gardens are the easy ones. 
 

I saw an Amish dude up North that had a big wheeled cart that had an open bottom that he could lay prone, pull himself along and do his business. That makes ME jealous!

My lot is 60'x110' 

You're gonna be soooo impressed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...