Jump to content
Ogre

OT: The Gardening Thread

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, ubkev said:

My lot is 60'x110' 

You're gonna be soooo impressed!

I got my teeth into gardening while living in an apartment. I “branched” out in the mobile home park. Gardening is all about the small space.
 

I’m cranking huge amounts of effort into something I get very little from except knowledge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I got my teeth into gardening while living in an apartment. I “branched” out in the mobile home park. Gardening is all about the small space.
 

I’m cranking huge amounts of effort into something I get very little from except knowledge. 

What more do you need than knowledge?

....and peppers. You definitely need peppers.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not going to claim credit for these beautiful specimens of chicks-n-hens. Mrs. iT’s idea and project. I just water them. They are interesting though. Once they’ve taken hold, look the F out!

DE77016F-BA50-42BD-8A5D-2557480C568E.jpeg

EBBFC87F-6FDB-43DD-9247-0E7CBF8DF559.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather is perfect for working in the new gardens today.  I will be starting soon.  There maybe some worthy pics today.  We are really just getting started with our gardens here.  I think I mentioned that we are moving a large part of our old gardens from the old house.  Several trees and large rodos have been moved already and are replanted here.  Setting them again with leaves and more pine needles today.  It will be a long hard day, but I love it.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching a mama grey catbird vomit food into the mouths of her 3 newly hatched chicks, in their nest, in the back of one of my rose bushes. 

Yo, birds are ***** disgusting!

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 9:47 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

The weather is perfect for working in the new gardens today.  I will be starting soon.  There maybe some worthy pics today.  We are really just getting started with our gardens here.  I think I mentioned that we are moving a large part of our old gardens from the old house.  Several trees and large rodos have been moved already and are replanted here.  Setting them again with leaves and more pine needles today.  It will be a long hard day, but I love it.

I’ll admit that I am VERY impressed that you took your trees too! That is a lot of hard ass work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The light green you see is Golden Purslane. It keeps the water around the pumpkin and squash roots, is friggin delicious and super nutritious. That entire crop is from the seeds scattered from tilling last years crop. 

87BD0919-46FB-4B43-8A73-353B2F95FB7C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs. iT planted the fenced in raised bed. She aight.

0FBDFE5D-F548-469E-BE48-A24AE4A34B20.jpeg

C927FCB6-2448-48C7-B1D3-EEE50AFD41EF.jpeg

84EBDFB0-B6D3-4E3D-8285-300BDD4334E5.jpeg

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The taters have been my toil. Adirondack Blue this year. I’ve already pruned flowers so I’m hopeful for a bountiful crop.

48776062-8F16-4345-8E02-EC944F2964F9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ogre said:

I’ll admit that I am VERY impressed that you took your trees too! That is a lot of hard ass work!

Yes, well I did the hardest part ... I pointed and got out of the way. 

The moving of large trees and bushes is the very reason why big strong men were invented.  I love big strong men.  The more the better.  The bigger and stronger the better.  I am always on the lookout for big strong men.  I just can't get enough of big strong men.  Do you get my point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to be an idiot when I try something like this, so I hope this works ...

100_5354.JPG

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
seems to have worked ... that is the biggest rodo we moved from the old house
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I tend to be an idiot when I try something like this, so I hope this works ...

100_5354.JPG

Lol, you really do live on the border of the Arctic Circle, don't you!? My Rhododendrons have been done for almost a month now. 

Nice plant btw! I've got 2 that are that color and one that's maybe 2 shades darker.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ubkev said:
8 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

 

Lol, you really do live on the border of the Arctic Circle, don't you!

Look at those conifers in the background. They’re 15’ tall and probably 100 years old...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some really incredible projects youse guys got going on.  I'm envious of the amount of property you have to do all this.  

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 10:21 PM, Ogre said:

I’m cranking huge amounts of effort into something I get very little from except knowledge. 

And hopefully some decompression from the world.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ubkev said:

Lol, you really do live on the border of the Arctic Circle, don't you!? My Rhododendrons have been done for almost a month now. 

Nice plant btw! I've got 2 that are that color and one that's maybe 2 shades darker.

Not only that, but even with global warming and all that jazz (hey, oh Freddie ... We love you!!) the Arctic Ocean is still bone chilling code even in July / August.  I'm just thankful that it is not frozen solid year round any more, eh.

And thanks.  That rhodo is probably 10 to 15 years old.  We got from a friend in a 5" pot back then.

13 hours ago, Ogre said:

Look at those conifers in the background. They’re 15’ tall and probably 100 years old...

Very observant, my friend.  The Arctic Tundra really makes for slow growth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not only that, but even with global warming and all that jazz (hey, oh Freddie ... We love you!!) the Arctic Ocean is still bone chilling code even in July / August.  I'm just thankful that it is not frozen solid year round any more, eh.

And thanks.  That rhodo is probably 10 to 15 years old.  We got from a friend in a 5" pot back then.

Very observant, my friend.  The Arctic Tundra really makes for slow growth.

If Halifax is in the tundra then I must be in Santa’s workshop!

I have been to the northernmost community in Ontario, Fort Severn. That was the end of the boreal forest and the edge of the tundra. Tallest tree I saw was probably 20’. No idea how old it would have been.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, French Collection said:

If Halifax is in the tundra then I must be in Santa’s workshop!

I have been to the northernmost community in Ontario, Fort Severn. That was the end of the boreal forest and the edge of the tundra. Tallest tree I saw was probably 20’. No idea how old it would have been.

You know these Yanks will believe anything we tell them.

No word of lie ... when I graduated from college a bunch of buddies and I went to The Bahamas as a graduation party down.  We met several great people on vacation from PA there and they were all convinced (easily convinced) that we all lived in iglos, even in downtown of The Great Satan.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my typing .. .still not very goodly ... damn phone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Indabuff said:

And hopefully some decompression from the world.

A small garden is Zen. A large time/financial investment is not. My fenced in stuff is a source of Joy. This experimental garden can be frustrating. I grew up on a farm so I understand the perils. The GD vermin loot you like a band of bandits. 
 

Right now the sunflowers are being gobbled up at a rate that I could end up with a handful of flowers from HUNDREDS of plants. I tried a habanero spray but they ate them anyway. Yesterday I drove some posts and wrapped a few hundred feet of fishing line around them. I hunkered on the deck and watched them tonight. They were befuddled by the invisible barrier. Good. Go F yourselves you thieving bastards.

 

0297B5EC-35B0-46FF-BF61-EF178524978A.jpeg

5674713D-9535-4133-858A-256BF4F79A64.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ogre said:

A small garden is Zen. A large time/financial investment is not. My fenced in stuff is a source of Joy. This experimental garden can be frustrating. I grew up on a farm so I understand the perils. The GD vermin loot you like a band of bandits. 

That's what 22s were made for.  Are you talking about deer or actual vermin as in rodents?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

That's what 22s were made for.  Are you talking about deer or actual vermin as in rodents?

The deer are at an infestation rate around here. The farmer that we let have rent-free access to the larger lots had 12 nuisance permits last year. You have to prove a significant loss of income to get those permits. It doesn’t even make a dent in how many deer there are. This particular garden is devoted to learning how to defeat these pricks. (That’s why all my other gardens have a six foot fence).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ogre said:

The deer are at an infestation rate around here. The farmer that we let have rent-free access to the larger lots had 12 nuisance permits last year. You have to prove a significant loss of income to get those permits. It doesn’t even make a dent in how many deer there are. This particular garden is devoted to learning how to defeat these pricks. (That’s why all my other gardens have a six foot fence).

I was going to suggest a nuisance permit but I know they're normally reserved for farmers around these parts.  Doesn't necessarily mean the farmer has to be the one pulling the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I was going to suggest a nuisance permit but I know they're normally reserved for farmers around these parts.  Doesn't necessarily mean the farmer has to be the one pulling the trigger.

I take a deer every year but what the hell am I going to do with all the rest? 
 

My new plan for next year is to plant some dummy gardens that I don’t bother weeding. Enough that they can have whatever and leave mine alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ogre said:

I take a deer every year but what the hell am I going to do with all the rest? 

Food bank donation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...