2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Winnipeg would also make sense like Ehlers and something. I wonder if it is Ehlers and Copp for Reinhart and something. 

Probably Risto/Montour.  Copp could temporarily fill the 2C with the hopes that Cozens is ready in a year or two. Ehlers has five years left at 6 Million AAV, which is probably cheaper than Samson will be but still it feels like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. 

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

That's a hint at a certain trade Kevyn Adams is working on...

I know you said you were asked not to mention the team involved but do you know all the players involved?  If so,  What is your personal Feeling on the trade if it goes through?  How do you think fans will generally feel about it.

Just now, Flashsabre said:

I know you said you were asked not to mention the team involved but do you know all the players involved?  If so,  What is your personal Feeling on the trade if it goes through?  How do you think fans will generally feel about it.

I know the biggest players in the trade, unsure about the details as far as picks/prospects go. I would be very positive about the trade if it went through, and I believe most fans would like the trade.

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

He's both.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm was the nightmare line 1-2 years ago.

Lindholm would be the perfect target, playing both Center and RW. He could be the 2C and if Cozens takes that spot he can slide into a RW Role on one the Top 2 Lines. 

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

I know the biggest players in the trade, unsure about the details as far as picks/prospects go. I would be very positive about the trade if it went through, and I believe most fans would like the trade.

You do not have to answer this of course, but is the other team still playing or have they been eliminated? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Reinhart, Cozens and Montour for Gaudreau and Monahan.

That would be what, the 3rd biggest trade in franchise history, after Gare/Foligno and Lafontaine/Turgeon.

Talk about a statement move.

(I think the Flames fans would riot.)

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

No thank you, I'd do it with Mitts vs Cozens perhaps but I'd want Bennett too.

I'm interested to see what the team would look like should a trade similar to this occur. 

I went with Reinhart, Risto, Mitts, and a 3rd for Gaurdreau and Monahan, as an inbetween for these trade proposals. 

Skinner-Eichel-Oloffson

Gaurdreau-Monahan-Kahun

Johannson-Cozens-Thompson?

Ruotsaleinen?-Lazar-Okposo

Dahlin-Jokiharju

McCabe-Montour

Bryson?-Miller

Ullmark

Hutton

I went with players that the sabres had under contract/hold the rights of. I would like Girgs/Larsson resigned to fill out that 4th line, give us a defensively responsible line. I also obviously would want to replace Bryson, (I don't think he's NHL ready) that could be a UFA, or a small trade. 

I think that's a playoff roster. Our Defense is mostly intact, which was our strength last year, and our forwards are SIGNIFICANTLY improved. I would be happy with this roster going into the season. 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Lindholm would be the perfect target, playing both Center and RW. He could be the 2C and if Cozens takes that spot he can slide into a RW Role on one the Top 2 Lines. 

You do not have to answer this of course, but is the other team still playing or have they been eliminated? 

I would rather not say, as the possible teams for this trade have already been narrowed down significantly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sabresparaavida said:

I would rather not say, as the possible teams for this trade have already been narrowed down significantly.

Yeah....hahaha. We Sabres fans will heavily iterate over anything that may contain hope.

I just hope the team in question is either eliminated, or about to be soon.Hypothetically, if Sean Monahan is the target, and wins the cup this year, I imagine trade negoiations would suffer as a result.

Just now, Gabrielor said:

I mean...it was never a big list ?

I can't tell if it was the playoffs, or the lottery, that narrowed this down...and was it teams bounced from the playoffs, or teams that made it on further...all very interesting.

At the very least, it's something to be excited about from one of our own, with a reputable record. I love it

We should look to add Copp even if we find a way to make McDavid our 2C

12 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I'm interested to see what the team would look like should a trade similar to this occur. 

I went with Reinhart, Risto, Mitts, and a 3rd for Gaurdreau and Monahan, as an inbetween for these trade proposals. 

Skinner-Eichel-Oloffson

Gaurdreau-Monahan-Kahun

Johannson-Cozens-Thompson?

Ruotsaleinen?-Lazar-Okposo

Dahlin-Jokiharju

McCabe-Montour

Bryson?-Miller

Ullmark

Hutton

I went with players that the sabres had under contract/hold the rights of. I would like Girgs/Larsson resigned to fill out that 4th line, give us a defensively responsible line. I also obviously would want to replace Bryson, (I don't think he's NHL ready) that could be a UFA, or a small trade. 

I think that's a playoff roster. Our Defense is mostly intact, which was our strength last year, and our forwards are SIGNIFICANTLY improved. I would be happy with this roster going into the season. 

Go get Ian Cole for that LD spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I can't tell if it was the playoffs, or the lottery, that narrowed this down...and was it teams bounced from the playoffs, or teams that made it on further...all very interesting.

At the very least, it's something to be excited about from one of our own, with a reputable record. I love it

Personally I think it is a team that was in the play in round and I am curious to see if it is Winnipeg who was bounced or Calgary who is still going. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Reinhart, Cozens and Montour for Gaudreau and Monahan.

That would be what, the 3rd biggest trade in franchise history, after Gare/Foligno and Lafontaine/Turgeon.

Talk about a statement move.

(I think the Flames fans would riot.)

I would have a hard time giving up Cozens, but would include Mitts and #8 to get it done.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Re signing in Buffalo would not be a priority for Gaudreau, so hopefully there are other targets 

This is an issue -- he has 2 more years until UFA.  He's from NJ, so would be much closer to home here than in Calgary, but not as close, or desirable, as Philly, Washington or the NYC teams.  But maybe if the team takes a couple of big steps and it becomes fun to play here again...

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is an issue -- he has 2 more years until UFA.  He's from NJ, so would be much closer to home here than in Calgary, but not as close, or desirable, as Philly, Washington or the NYC teams.  But maybe if the team takes a couple of big steps and it becomes fun to play here again...

Damn I misread the contract on capfriendly as EXP = expires in 4 years, not EXP = experience of 4 years...

I'm assuming any deal like that might come with a sign and trade, especially given the uncertainty of the 2020-2021 season. At least I hope so. 

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Damn I misread the contract on capfriendly as EXP = expires in 4 years, not EXP = experience of 4 years...

I'm assuming any deal like that might come with a sign and trade, especially given the uncertainty of the 2020-2021 season. At least I hope so. 

I don't think teams can give extensions to players until there is 1 year or less remaining on the player's contract.  So trading for anyone with 2 years left until UFA means you're trying really hard to sell the player during that first year so he's willing to sign an extension during the summer after that year.  If he's not willing to do so, you're in the Skinner situation all over again during that 2nd year, and you have to seriously consider trading him by the deadline.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I don't think teams can give extensions to players until there is 1 year or less remaining on the player's contract.  So trading for anyone with 2 years left until UFA means you're trying really hard to sell the player during that first year so he's willing to sign an extension during the summer after that year.  If he's not willing to do so, you're in the Skinner situation all over again during that 2nd year, and you have to seriously consider trading him by the deadline.

Is that real? Seems like a dumb rule

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.