WTF! No game day thread? The boys are in Filly tonight (12/19/19) at 7ET

Hank

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Wonder if Ray can still fight and ps is John Scott available.

Rayzor seems a bit overweight and out of shape these days, but have a look at how far the league has deteriorated! 

As an example, watch that melee surrounding Dahlin from last night.  That is the new thing in the NHL.  Play gets rough and escalates.  The whistle blows.  Players pair up...and then nothing happens.

It's all hugging and avoiding eye contact because no one wants to fight.

In this environment, Rob Ray at his current age/level of physical conditioning would thrive.

Not that he would do it to his own teammate, but can you possibly imagine Rayzor at his current age grabbing Dahlin and lighting him up?  Might end the kid's career.

In the old days, there were always soft guys like this in the league.  The guys who avoid altercations.  The difference is that the team still had a bunch of other guys willing to take care of business.  But now, those other guys are gone.  They're not there anymore, so we are left with these Dave Snuggerud and Christian Ruuttu types engaging in these hug fests.

It's embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I get the joke, but I'm more concerned with having guys like DeBrusk, Coyle, Kuraly, Wagner, Heinen, Norstrom, Bailey, Cizikas, Clutterbuck etc. I realize some of these guys aren't analytics favorites. I don't give a crap, these guys have intangibles that people with a good eye for hockey can value properly.

Absolutely agree. Seems like our "generational" players have to fend for themselves or hope that Delilah doesn't get a hold of Samson's locks.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's the problem with this sentiment. It is highly unlikely you can move a player in a trade that returns equal value. I assume you mean trading 60 pt Reinhart for another 60 point winger that fits your mold better. A team is unlikely to do that without a reason. It is why you see things like the Hall trade where a team gives up a bunch of pieces. 

No, you don't get the 60 point guy you want for your 60 point guy, but maybe you can get  2 guys that were 30 point guys and one of those gets you 50 here playing with Jack and the other guy has a pair on him. You can get valuable pieces that make your team better.

Having said that, do I think there are teams lining up to get Sam on their team? Absolutely not. Most GMs I suspect see him exactly like me and some other people here do. A talented guy who lacks desire, plays inconsistently and for the most part doesn't seem to care or use that talent.  If he does get dealt will he do that elsewhere, maybe, but I doubt it.  

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, you don't get the 60 point guy you want for your 60 point guy, but maybe you can get  2 guys that were 30 point guys and one of those gets you 50 here playing with Jack and the other guy has a pair on him. You can get valuable pieces that make your team better.

Having said that, do I think there are teams lining up to get Sam on their team? Absolutely not. Most GMs I suspect see him exactly like me and some other people here do. A talented guy who lacks desire, plays inconsistently and for the most part doesn't seem to care or use that talent.  If he does get dealt will he do that elsewhere, maybe, but I doubt it.  

Sam Reinhart is not the problem. If he were available, every team in the league would call on him. Literally nothing you described about him is true. He’s had the occasional off game, but he’s been very consistent. Your trade would have all the makings of a ROR part two. Let’s not forget there were plenty calling for him to be traded around here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Sam Reinhart is not the problem. If he were available, every team in the league would call on him. Literally nothing you described about him is true. He’s had the occasional off game, but he’s been very consistent. Your trade would have all the makings of a ROR part two. Let’s not forget there were plenty calling for him to be traded around here. 

I generally agree with this, but IMHO the real question is whether they should give Reino a big contract after this season.  It will probably take $7.5MM or so x 7 years to keep him.  Giving him that kind of contract means you’re married to him as one of your top 4 guys that you’re building the team around — because you only have room for about 4 contracts like that.  

It’s a tricky situation.  I don’t think Reino is good enough for that kind of commitment, but I don’t want to unload him for lesser pieces either.  

17 hours ago, #freejame said:

Two things. One, there is a lot of love for Sam on here, this I know, and it is all despite the facts. He's a soft player who lacks drive and desire. Back in the day we'd have called him a floater. Sure, he does some good things some times, but he wont' do the extra, won't get dirty, won't take the hit. If he was what you think he is, why is he so ineffective in Eichel's absence???? Too man times he's in the right position but he shys away from the effort that really counts. Watch closer. Right near the net he will take a shot in the right general direction and then skate back from the net, rather than going to the net and giving a bump or digging the loose puck or that extra whack. Compare that to any number of Bruins who will dig and dig and fight that puck in by hook or by crook. Sam just skates away to play another day. Floater. Overvalued and symptomatic of everything wrong with this team.

Second, it's only ROR part 2, if you trade for crap players. All depends on who you get back.Nobody says give him away for free, but the team can be better if he's traded rather than:

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I generally agree with this, but IMHO the real question is whether they should give Reino a big contract after this season.  It will probably take $7.5MM or so x 7 years to keep him.  Giving him that kind of contract means you’re married to him as one of your top 4 guys that you’re building the team around — because you only have room for about 4 contracts like that.  

It’s a tricky situation.  I don’t think Reino is good enough for that kind of commitment, but I don’t want to unload him for lesser pieces either.  

but you can't have it both ways. Overpaying him big mistake. Trading him only a mistake if you do a crap trade. 

Team needs character guys. Never quit workers. Guys who care very night. We don't need stars, we need workhorses. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.