GDT: Islanders at Sabres, Sat. 11/2/19, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For the old-timers, having the Islanders in on 70s Night, and having 70s Night go like this, is pretty fitting. They're one of the teams the Sabres couldn't get past in the playoffs in the 70s (and very early 80s).

In 1980 I really thought that the first year under Bowman was going to be special.  It was until the semi-finals.  Instead it was the first cup (not cusp) for the Islanders and the last year of the French Connection.

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'll go out on a limb and say the Sabres have generated an NHL-average of scoring chances through two periods, if not more than average. (Of course you're saying "good chances.")

It's all part of RK's master plan.

Wouldn't be sure. But if you're appealing to the sentiment that we often seem so CLOSE to scoring, and are just missing some execution, keep in mind that this is true of all teams, elite scoring ones and otherwise, and the difference is the elite ones also score more goals than everyone else.

We've essentially reverted back to the point shot prioritization now that teams are tightening the screws and less space is available by sheer breakdown, which is exactly why we were a good goal scoring team last year until we weren't, and going forward it's going to get harder and harder to create offense, and we still have all the same guys that struggled with it for years for us, with only Johansson as a meaningful newcomer, who I don't think is going to be leading any charges to offensive relevancy. 

The hope before the season was that you'd get some unexpected growth, but while I don't think any forwards are underperforming, I can't say that any of them are going above and beyond reasonable expectations.

Which is why so many didn't think the offseason would be complete without one more top six forward trade. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.