GDT - Maple Leaves @ Sabres - December 4, 2018 - 7:30 PM (EST)

Sabres Fan in NS

This one is for all you stats guys. 

According to our 10 game streak stats I think we have them right where we want them , behind going into the last period so we can force OT and steal it in OT and end up tied with them when done... 

Everybody goes home happy because nothing gets decided till the next game. Still have 3 left after this one... 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t need to be a top team. Just need to win more than zero games in four. Still a period to turn it around.

It's just balance returning to the world for a team that was lucky enough to win 10 in a row. And we're playing way better tonight than we did the past 3, against one of the best 4 teams in the league. I don't get the angst.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

I don’t know if I would say that. I think we are keeping up with them and they had time off and we are on a back to back with a flight. 

Not saying they’re garbage.  But after 3 straight losses and potentially 4 staring us in the face, just saying, we have a ways to go, the streak made us overlook the issues.  As soon as the magic went away, the bad stuff started to show again

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Duff is starting to sell the need for secondary scoring pretty hard. "Don't rely on the Eichel line for scoring." Uh, OK. I'm pretty sure you need to rely on the line with the $10 million anchor and the guy who's about to get $8 million-ish.

And the Eichel line has our only goal. And had our only goal last night. It's not like the line is being blanked.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Duff is starting to sell the need for secondary scoring pretty hard. "Don't rely on the Eichel line for scoring." Uh, OK. I'm pretty sure you need to rely on the line with the $10 million anchor and the guy who's about to get $8 million-ish.

I'm not sure what our depth scoring is right now, but when I counted a few weeks ago, they were pacing for dead last in the league again, while the top line was scoring like one of the best in hockey. 

Duffer is probably referring to that. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's just balance returning to the world for a team that was lucky enough to win 10 in a row. And we're playing way better tonight than we did the past 3, against one of the best 4 teams in the league. I don't get the angst.

People just were hoping for a President's Trophy after the streak. But reality is starting to seep in. This is a borderline playoff team and is probably at least a full year away from being up there with the Nashvilles and Tampa Bays and Torontos.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You're selling them short. Aren't you a sample size guy? Can you win 10 games in a row in the NHL on luck?

2 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Not saying they’re garbage.  But after 3 straight losses and potentially 4 staring us in the face, just saying, we have a ways to go, the streak made us overlook the issues.  As soon as the magic went away, the bad stuff started to show again

This is true. I don't think anyone questions the needs to be addressed, just how.

For me, I don't want Botterill giving up any of the high end picks. That means a hockey trade.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Duff does work for the Sabres. I read his comments as covering for Eichel.

And maybe he is, but he's also not entirely wrong. The numbers support his premise. The Leafs, on the other hand, have two Eichel-caliber lines. Hopefully that's what we have next year with Mittelstadt, but right now, it's top line or bust.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

You're selling them short. Aren't you a sample size guy? Can you win 10 games in a row in the NHL on luck?

Absolutely. Teams have fallen backwards into wins for an entire season before. 

Also, to be clear, it wasn't purely luck. An average team is going to win some games. But weren't 7 out of 10 1-goal games? And a bunch in OT as well? Winning all 10 definitely had a significant luck factor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.