SCOTUS: How did we get here, and where are we going?

darksabre

4 hours ago, LTS said:

Couldn't it be said that the executive branch has been expanding power through the use of executive orders and that's gone unchecked for decades?

There have been some ebbs and flows, but yea, at least since the Depression (and arguably before), the expansion of executive power is one of the primary themes of American politics. And given the current geographic polarization of the parties, I'd argue there is only meaningful checks and balances today during times of divided government. Of course, divided government also makes lawmaking almost impossible because of that very same geographic polarization. Absent party coalitions changing, I don't see this reality shifting much. And make no mistake, party coalitions will change. It's just a question of how long it takes. 

18 hours ago, LTS said:

Over/under on when the 2 term limit for Presidency is rescinded?

Now I've done it.

If it didn't happen with Obama, it won't happen with Trump. He'll be replaced in six years. 

On 10/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, Sabel79 said:

7EF8E84C-EF36-4CF8-A104-E11E8560186D.gif.4bfc3f142c3728156c87379b8eeed749.gif

Somebody got it. 

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

Entirely more likely that we just stop having elections.  As soon as 2020.

More likely attempt. Create a national security emergency and then claim it isn't safe to hold elections. Much easier then a constitutional amendment to remove term limits. Other option is to allow the election and then claim you won even if you lost. I would expect that would be a tactic of the Trump Regime. 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Somebody got it. 

More likely attempt. Create a national security emergency and then claim it isn't safe to hold elections. Much easier then a constitutional amendment to remove term limits. Other option is to allow the election and then claim you won even if you lost. I would expect that would be a tactic of the Trump Regime. 

There are already rumblings.  We’re going to hear what a security disaster this upcoming election was after it’s over and regardless of results.  We’ll be told they can’t be trusted and until it gets figured out we need not have elections for security reasons (it will be figured out never, by the way).  

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Somebody got it. 

Straight out of the Hillary playbook. How'd that work out?

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That would be my concern. Trump has a flagrant disregard for the Constitution and it is a reason he only wants his own sycophants in power positions. 

The economy is on an upward trend. Unemployment is the lowest it's been in a half century. The new NAFTA deal was a huge win. Jobs are increasing. N Korea stopped firing missles. The Iran nuke deal was scrapped. NATO countries are being held financially accountable for the first time. But Trump's a big meanie. OH, THE HORROR!!!!!!

The economy is on the exact same trend it was under Obama. Same for employment, the trend simply continued under Trump. You have no proof yet that the NAFTA deal is good or bad, I would guess it may be good judging from preliminary forecasts but we don't know yet. lol North Korea does this all the time, they get hot then cool then get hot again. It is the typical cycle, when they start letting UN inspectors into the country I will be impressed. Speaking of dictators, I noticed that Russia has really stopped up their game in the last 2 years. NATO countries are being held responsible, you are right there. 

Your last sentence is garbage. Considering I was speaking to Trump's disregard for the Constitution and not the extent of his other policies your entire response ignored my original premise but you knew that. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

So you agree it's trending upward. Great!

I agree that the trend started in 2010 has continued. The incline in the GDP is basically unchanged. Obama started the recovery and it has not been stopped by Trump. Considering all he has done domestically is give tax cuts, that isn't surprising. That said, I think we are headed towards another recession as there is ample evidence that corporations are making big money while jobs are not keeping up with the cost of living. 

Edited by LGR4GM

The election hacking, to me, is a serious cause for alarm.  It's certainly an avenue that would lead to some kind of voting suspension. If one things about the SuperMicro chip situation it is easy to see how the same kind of program could be worked against the company building the voting machines.  It's damn near impossible to protect against chip level backdoor operations.

We're likely to see more information on these types of things popping up over the coming years. 

1 hour ago, LTS said:

The election hacking, to me, is a serious cause for alarm.  It's certainly an avenue that would lead to some kind of voting suspension. If one things about the SuperMicro chip situation it is easy to see how the same kind of program could be worked against the company building the voting machines.  It's damn near impossible to protect against chip level backdoor operations.

We're likely to see more information on these types of things popping up over the coming years. 

Election hacking? Still? Really?? C'mon...

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree that the trend started in 2010 has continued. The incline in the GDP is basically unchanged. Obama started the recovery and it has not been stopped by Trump. Considering all he has done domestically is give tax cuts, that isn't surprising. That said, I think we are headed towards another recession as there is ample evidence that corporations are making big money while jobs are not keeping up with the cost of living. 

You sound like you are hoping for a recession so you can say because Trump. 

18 hours ago, Hank said:

You sound like you are hoping for a recession so you can say because Trump. 

I think a recession is coming. When is uncertain. Trump could enact policies if he's in office to help prevent it but judging from what he's done so far, he'll protect businesses over employees. 

Edited by LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think a recession is coming. When is uncertain. Trump could enact policies if he's in office to help prevent it but judging from what he's done so far, he'll protect businesses over employers. 

Businesses ARE the employers. No?

Separately, WHY do you think a recession is coming? Based on what?