SCOTUS: How did we get here, and where are we going?

darksabre

27 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Barrett is bit too young and inexperienced but  i otherwise like her.

Completely true. We have her words more than her actions because of such a small sample size, but she's come off as the most-strict originalist, whereas the other guys have decisions/arguments on the record that stray from this line. Of course, in due time where she is that could become the case for her too. 

Hopefully Trump keeps her at the top of the list for next time ?

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Completely true. We have her words more than her actions because of such a small sample size, but she's come off as the most-strict originalist, whereas the other guys have decisions/arguments on the record that stray from this line. Of course, in due time where she is that could become the case for her too. 

Hopefully Trump keeps her at the top of the list for next time ?

I am not sure Trump will get a next time. I also don't think in the next 2 years she will have gained sufficient experience. Kavanaugh at the least seems like an experienced candidate who understands the law. I just hope he remembers the law of the United States of America trumps his religious leanings. 

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Aren't we supposed to wait until the next election, Mitch?

He just meant presidential elections... suddenly... now that it impacts him. Of course the Dems are dipshits for getting rid of the 60 vote threshold on lower court appointments so they helped this entire mess. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am not sure Trump will get a next time. I also don'tisthink in the next 2 years she will have gained sufficient experience. Kavanaugh at the least seems like an experienced candidate who understands the law. I just hope he remembers the law of the United States of America trumps his religious leanings. 

If the Republicans build on their Senate majority this November, I'd expect there is a very real possibility that Thomas retires this Spring.

And, while it is obvious that Ginsberg plans on dying on the Court, that won't necessarily happen at a convenient time for her supporters.

My guess is that 45 gets 1 more nominee on the bench after Kennedy's replacement.

Considering how disorganized the Democratic party is and how out of touch they are with life, I could see them losing seats in November. 

Just now, Taro T said:

Kagen was nominated & confirmed in '10.  This isn't a Presidential election year.

Which btw, is the biggest load of horse##it ever. You know it. I know it. McConnell knows it. If it is say September, sure but January... jesus f##ing hell do your jobs. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Considering how disorganized the Democratic party is and how out of touch they are with life, I could see them losing seats in November. 

In the Senate, that is nearly a given.  It's roughly a 2-1 D vs R seat defense.

History says the President's party loses seats in the Housein the midterm.  Very interested in how that plays out.  With a trade war, that'll be a given.  With indictments for MYR & CFH likely in late Summer & the economy doing well, he may actually a handful of seats.

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Kagen was nominated & confirmed in '10.  This isn't a Presidential election year.

My point is that the shenanigans in 2016 were bs.  And they were, and we all know it.

Edited by Eleven

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

My point is that the shenanigans in 2016 were bs.  And they were, and we all know it.

Republicans are so much better at the "game" of politics than Democrats are and until far more liberals actually go vote instead of just attending opposition rallies and acting like keyboard warriors it's going to stay that way.

The timing is no coincidence. Trump has been lobbying behind the scenes to get someone on the court to retire before the midterms and he found the best piece of red meat he could to satisfy his base. Record disapproval ratings? Who cares. He's about to replace the so called swing vote on the Supreme Court with a Conservative that will likely want to overturn Roe v Wade and Marriage Equality. This is the exact type of thing that Evangelicals use to justify voting for an adulterous, bully, predator, with a foul mouth who has been married 3 or more times. They will come out in droves to support him because despite his life of sin, he's actually more effective for their cause than guys like Mike Pence or Mitt Romney have ever been.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I am not sure Trump will get a next time. I also don't think in the next 2 years she will have gained sufficient experience. Kavanaugh at the least seems like an experienced candidate who understands the law. I just hope he remembers the law of the United States of America trumps his religious leanings. 

He certainly will. It won't be painted that way by people who think the purpose of the court is to drive the policy they like, and judge its success by whether laws are implemented with their goals (see the Colorado bakery case) but he will. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

My preference would be for the Senate to go back to the rules that were in place prior to Reid blowing them up.  

Short of 1 party ending up w/ a supermajority and feeling magnanimous in victory, doubt we ever get back there, sadly.