Jack Eichel: Maturity and Growth

LGR4GM

Jack Eichel said there are a lot of good leaders in the room. "16 teams are going to play in the playoffs for the next few months and we aren't going to do anything so it starts now." "last year I was frustrated and bitter... I didn't handle things the right way. I think I have learned some things and matured a bit as a person. Am I upset about how things have went, yea. It's not a time to sit here and pout and give you guys one word answers I think." His exit interview this year stands in stark contrast to last year. It borders on captain level. That said, words are words. I agree with Jack saying the team needs to change and he needs to change but until they do, meh. I suppose the first step in having a problem is admitting you have a problem. 

His full comments are here: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-4918/t-277437090/c-59733203

Edited by LGR4GM

It's Jack's team now and forever.  Pin the C on him and lets go.  Surround him with guys he likes and/or respects (most of which will be around his age) and lets go.  

By the way Liger, you are in rare form.  I think these exit interviews really got to you.  Frankly, I didn't give a crap about what any of these guys say.  Their actions this year spoke volumes.  No words are going to take away or mitigated their lack of effort, their lack of leadership and their lack of responsibility for the mess they created this season.  

The exit interviews LOCKER ROOM CLEAN OUT INTERVIEWS were what I wanted to hear in December. "We aren't coming to the rink every single day ready to work and battle. We the players need to change. We aren't good enough and that has to get fixed by us." It is the first time in years I have actually heard basically the entire team say, we are responsible and it is about freaking time. Yes you all need to change. Great Eichel had .955 ppg that's fantastic but we still finished last. Why was the team garbage in November and December and March for that matter? You don't get to pick the 82 games you feel like showing up for. You have to play every game. You have to play the entire game. This team doesn't have enough talent to win on talent alone. For the first time, they seem to ###### get that. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Honestly think he needs to call MacKinnon and talk to him about what he did to turn the Avs around and become a 40g scorer. From what I've heard, MacKinnon basically turned that team around himself because he was so mad about the season before

I don’t think there is any doubt Botterill intends to build around Jack, that he will be given the C next fall, and that he spent this year grooming him for the role.

It is also my opinion that theyve been largely successful in the latter.

Agreed and that may be why OReilly is pouting. He knows he screwed up not bringing Jack into the fold and instead of two opposites. By working with the young stud and being his mentor and guide this would have helped guys like Sam and ERod. The rift you see is evident by the two opposites responses and ROR being alone talking about himself on an iceberg. Love RORs game but can Sabres handle the two together. Wish they could make a peace and sit down and be amicable.

Edited by North Buffalo

Honestly think he needs to call MacKinnon and talk to him about what he did to turn the Avs around and become a 40g scorer. From what I've heard, MacKinnon basically turned that team around himself because he was so mad about the season before

Did I hear Housley in his interview yesterday reference what the COL players did? I think I did.

Agreed and that may be why OReilly is pouting. He knows he screwed up not bringing Jack into the fold and instead of two opposites. By working with the young stud and being his mentor and guide this would have helped guys like Sam and ERod. The rift you see is evident by the two opposites responses and ROR being alone talking about himself on an iceberg. Love RORs game but can Sabres handle the two together. Wish they could make a peace and sit down and be amicable.

but they went hat shopping together that one time. (wish i could find the content.)

Listening to his interview, it didn't sound like he knows what needs to be done to get this team moving in the right direction.    Didn't get many answers.

OTOH, listening to guys like Wilson and Pominville shed some light on what ails this team, and what needs to change.

1. Stay healthy

2. Age normally

Jack’s natural talent and progression will have him there soon, he’s equaling or surpassing Mackinnon’s production at the same age. We just need to improve the team around Jack.

Listening to his interview, it didn't sound like he knows what needs to be done to get this team moving in the right direction.    Didn't get many answers.

OTOH, listening to guys like Wilson and Pominville shed some light on what ails this team, and what needs to change.

Maybe it's hard for Jack to evaluate from up on the mountaintop.  Pominville has more experience and has seen a few different systems and teams.  Wilson also comes from a different, and well-functioning, organization.  Jack may be at a disadvantage because his only pro experience is..... YOUR BUFFALO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.