Which QB Do the Bills Draft?

GASabresIUFAN

Bills Draft  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Bills Draft a QB in the 1st Round

• Yes, they trade into the top 10 to get their Franchise QB
    • Yes, they let draft come to them and grab one with pick 12 or later.
    • No, they miss out on the big guys, but draft one in a later round
    • No, they don’t draft a QB at all.
  2. 2. Which QB Do They Draft?

• Sam Darnold - USC 6-3 221
    • Josh Rosen - UCLA 6-4 210
    • Josh Allen - Wyoming 6-4 237
    • Baker Mayfield - Oklahoma 6-0 216
    • Lamar Jackson - Louisville 6-3 205
    • Mason Rudolph - Oklahoma St 6-4 235
    • Luke Falk - Washington St 6-3 211
    • Other - such as Kyle Lauletta, Chase Litton, Riley Ferguson, or Mike White
    • Other - not listed.

How many guys saying trade the farm for a QB loved Murray paying whatever it took to get his guys?

Qb in football is completely different than any other position in sports. Kane isn’t a qb. ROR isn’t a qb. It’s apples and oranges.

None of these guys are Carson Wentz or Luck and that is a huge problem. This is a perfect storm. 4 talented but imperfect QBs w 1 st rd grades and 6+ teams desperate for a long-term starting QB. I don’t envy him this decision.

I understand our desperation. Beane has a solid playoff roster, tons of picks but no QB. Taylor wasn’t the answer. But now what? He has a chance if he uses these picks right to build a great team, but no QB no team. Still can’t throw it all away just to get a flawed QB

Now if these guys have major flaws then sure I’m hesitant to trade away all the draft capital as well. But if you are putting your career on the line believing a certain guy can be the guy then you go for it. Even if the bills are really good and deep, how far can AJ Mccarron get them?

Qb in football is completely different than any other position in sports. Kane isn’t a qb. ROR isn’t a qb. It’s apples and oranges.

That’s true. The likelihood of Kane and O’Reilly panning out is much higher than the likelihood of a top10 QB.

Now if these guys have major flaws then sure I’m hesitant to trade away all the draft capital as well. But if you are putting your career on the line believing a certain guy can be the guy then you go for it. Even if the bills are really good and deep, how far can AJ Mccarron get them?

Who knows?  Case Keenum anyone?  Right player in the right system with the right coach can win and win big.  The QB doesn't have to be Rodgers, Brees, or Brady.  Nick Foles just won a Superbowl.  

That’s true. The likelihood of Kane and O’Reilly panning out is much higher than the likelihood of a top10 QB.

My point exactly.  I'm not giving up this draft just to get a flawed QB who still might not play for 2 years.

Not saying it’s impossible but in most years it’s the teams with the star qb who go the furthest. If these three qb have major flaws then so be it but without a top 15 qb were spinning in circles like we have since Jim Kelley.

Not saying it’s impossible but in most years it’s the teams with the star qb who go the furthest. If these three qb have major flaws then so be it but without a top 15 qb were spinning in circles like we have since Jim Kelley.

Kelley was a heck of a hockey writer. 

NO!  Don't Do it.  Every year they waste picks on QBs who can't get the job done.

And thus every year they trade a poor finish for a poor pick which ensures another poor finish which ensures another poor pick.

Don't Don't It.

Just do the BPA and have ammunition for a trade down the road. 

[i can't stand football anymore, but I cannot help but hear the hubbub.]

I've read some mock drafts issued since the Jets trade and I think the Bills still have some flexibility.  It depends on the Giants and Dolphins.

Draft order

1. Cleve - QB - Darnold

2. Giants - Need QB but may not take one. (RB, DL, OL & QB)

3. Jets - QB - Rosen

4. Cleve - RB Barkely or DE Chubb

5. Denver - QB Mayfield

6. Colts - have Luck thus Fitzpatrick or Edmunds or R Smith or who cares

7. TB - Has Winston 

8. Bears - Have Trubisky

9. SF - Have Garoppolo

10. Raiders - Have Carr

11. Dolphins - If they have given up on Tanneyhill, then QB otherwise.....

12. Bills - Need QB - Allen?

So if the Giants pass on a QB, we need to jump Miami to make sure we get a QB.  If the Giants take a QB, then who cares what the Dolphins do.  In that case it's likely that we can wait til 22 and grab either Rudolph or Jackson depending on what the scouts like (or don't like).  Also I might grab Falk in the 4th rd (or end of the 3rd as an insurance policy if management isn't sold in Peterman.

Note: The Cards signed Bradford, but may want a young QB at 15 and the Chargers at 17 could also be interested in a project QB to eventually replace Rivers.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I've read some mock drafts issued since the Jets trade and I think the Bills still have some flexibility.  It depends on the Giants and Dolphins.

Draft order

1. Cleve - QB - Darnold

2. Giants - Need QB but may not take one. (RB, DL, OL & QB)

3. Jets - QB - Rosen

4. Cleve - RB Barkely or DE Chubb

5. Denver - QB Mayfield

6. Colts - have Luck thus Fitzpatrick or Edmunds or R Smith or who cares

7. TB - Has Winston 

8. Bears - Have Trubisky

9. SF - Have Garoppolo

10. Raiders - Have Carr

11. Dolphins - If they have given up on Tanneyhill, then QB otherwise.....

12. Bills - Need QB - Allen?

So if the Giants pass on a QB, we need to jump Miami to make sure we get a QB.  If the Giants take a QB, then who cares what the Dolphins do.  In that case it's likely that we can wait til 22 and grab either Rudolph or Jackson depending on what the scouts like (or don't like).  Also I might grab Falk in the 4th rd (or end of the 3rd as an insurance policy if management isn't sold in Peterman.

Note: The Cards signed Bradford, but may want a young QB at 15 and the Chargers at 17 could also be interested in a project QB to eventually replace Rivers.

More and more, I think the Giants are taking a QB at 2. 

I also think there is a really good chance that the Dolphins are taking a QB -- and may be looking to move up to do it. 

To your bolded point: I think this sort of assumes that the Bills see the first tier of QBs as interchangeable -- that they'd be happy with any of them with a top-12 pick. I get the sense that's not the case, though. I think they have 2-3 guys that they really like and would take at #12 or higher (if they can get there), but that, failing that, they're going to wait to take someone less heralded. 

There's a lot of truth to this. 15 of the past 17 AFC championships, for example, have come from teams led by just 3 future first-ballot Hall of Famers - Brady, Manning, and Roethlisberger. The anomalies to this trend come from teams with absolutely elite defenses combined with competent QB's or teams whose otherwise mediocre QB's had monster single seasons. The bottom line is that an NFL QB is extremey important to a franchise's success. Way too important, if you ask me. But I don't write the rule book for the modern NFL, which seems to be over-the-top in its favoritism toward QB's and WR's at the expense of DB's and DL's.

Interesting stat: in their franchise history, the Bills have drafted 33 times in the top-12. They have taken 6 RB's, 4 WR's, 3 TE's, 5 OL, 9 DL, 2 LB, and 4 DB's. Not one single QB.

I was certain they were going to trade up into the top 3 picks to get one of the top guys. I think it's less likely now.

After the Jets trade my new gut feeling: I think Rosen, Allen, Mayfield and Darnold are all gone by pick 5 and maybe the Bills trade up slightly (pick #8 w Bears) to ensure they get Jackson, which I don't love. 

Edited by Lanny

If there isn't a decent QB available to draft, then don't draft a QB.    

Buddy Nix's enormous mistake - he skipped years he SHOULD have drafted a QB (with a good classes)  and waited until a terrible QB class to squander picks on EJ Manuel.   Who was, and is, horrible as an NFL QB, BTW. 

With a team that's struggled with futility so long,  it's hard to say 'wait a season or two' - but that might be the right decision - and shore up other positions now, and maybe look at trading for a franchise QB down the road.  

But just 'doing something' doesn't solve the Bills chronic problem of one mediocre QB after another.   And it might make it worse - wasting draft picks on another bust. 

Edited by Jsixspd

Answer one: They see what is there pick 12 or later.*  <--- What I think will happen.

Answer two: Trade up to draft Mayfield  <--- what I want to happen

*required Bills cynicism  --- Then proceed to draft positions that they don't need because "best available" or take "sure bet" NCAA standouts that don't translate to the NFL well and we regret trading Tyrod "checkdown" Taylor after getting beat 27-6 by the browns  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.