Kane is gone. Who is next?

Crusader1969

I was always in the camp to keep O'Reilly around for a couple of more years but the future of this team is so bleak that I think its time to trade him this summer.

How about Scandella, should he be traded ASAP? he is a UFA after next season.

This is seriously not meant as a shot and is a legitimate inquiry cause I’m interested:

Are you excited by the potential prospect of several more years of bottoming out for draft positon?

I edited your post so I can address by number:

1.  Notably, only Baptiste has gotten any real time with the Sabres this year.  I don't think Botterill likes any of those guys with, perhaps, the exception of O'Regan, and I don't think he's any good.

2.  We've been pinning our hopes on him for a while now, haven't we?  I see that he does well in Rochester; I guess he'd better crack the roster next year.

3.  We don't even know that he's willing to sign here.  And he's young and never has played what we would consider a full schedule. 

4.  There's currently a 12.5% chance of that person being in the NHL next year.

5.  I've always thought he was underrated.  He needs to stay healthy, though, and I don't think that's going to happen.

6.  I'm running out of patience with him.

7.  There's actually a fair chance of Reinhart turning it around, and I'd like to see him at center because...

8.  Won't be here.

9.  I don't see a big splash here, either.  It was easier when the team looked like it was a player or two away from a playoff run.  Now it looks like it's a player or two away from the AHL.

1 -- Your response is quite fair, but at the same time there are 6 of these guys, 2 of whom were JBott's pickups (CJ and DOR) and 1 of whom is a former lottery pick.  With luck 1 of them could become a good NHL player.

2 -- Guhle was drafted in 2015, so his career seems to be following the normal trajectory -- 2 post-draft years in juniors and 1 in the A.  It seems like he's highly thought of in the organization.

3 -- I agree that counting on a rookie to carry the mail throughout a season is unrealistic.  This is just one of the irons in the fire though.

4 -- Similarly, I agree that counting on a true rookie in his draft year is unrealistic.  Again, this is just one of the irons.

5 -- The law of averages (hopefully!) says Bogo will stay healthy sooner or later.

6 -- It's possible McCabe's shoulder injury held him back this year.  We'll see.  He's shown plenty of potential but next year is an important one for him.

7 -- There seems to be a good amount of optimism on Reino.

8 -- I understand your skepticism about JBott's endorsement of ROR, but I too expect him to be here.

9 -- I don't think the Sabres will get JT or one of the top 3 or 4 UFAs, but I do expect them to bring in an quality player.

I think the Rochester guys need to be full time NHL players next year. They need to see if there is any hope for any of them.

I could see Guhle now staying in Rochester 1 more year, unless Scandella is traded (hope that happens)

Casey is the wildcard to the turnaround IMO, if he stays in school then plan to turn it around in 19/20

Bogo a full season? probably most unlikely to happen

McCabe, ROR and Samson - will turn it around. Okposo should improve as well, giving him a huge mulligan on this season with the ICU incident.

#1 Goaltender - absolutely right!

Yes indeed -- I should've included him in the "out of the gate, not just garbage time" list.  And I think he's more likely than Reino to play well out of the gate.

I think Russ Brandon desperately needs Dahlin because the Sabres will not be trading for an impact player.

And the jaded fan base is the biggest reason why I expect Casey to be here In October.

Thank god we have Eichel and ROR here already, otherwise flashbacks of Grigorenko playing with John Scott in 12-13 are what your post brought me

Can you imagine how it would look if Eichel went down with another ankle? Please god no.

If this were to happen I would go back into believing "Because Buffalo". Because these injuries are things that would sideline any human on the planet, but it doesn't happen very often to other players. Just ours twice in a year. A third time would be a sign that god hates us indeed.

If this were to happen I would go back into believing "Because Buffalo". Because these injuries are things that would sideline any human on the planet, but it doesn't happen very often to other players. Just ours twice in a year. A third time would be a sign that god hates us indeed.

Well, a year and a half... :/

This is seriously not meant as a shot and is a legitimate inquiry cause I’m interested:

Are you excited by the potential prospect of several more years of bottoming out for draft positon?

Not at all, the exact opposite. This is the same answer I've given you on the draft board.

I want them to come in last this year because I believe (ok 90% sure) all of the top 4 prospects will be in the NHL next season. All 4 (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk and Zadina) have the size and skill already.

Then you add that prospect to Guhle and Casey Mittelstadt, Ullmark, and CJ smith. Then I have hope for a much better product as soon as next season.

However, if CM stays in school then drafting 5th or 6th this year isn't as big a deal because Boqvist, Dobson or Hughes will be another at least. In this case, next year will be just as bad if not worse than this year and we may as well start getting to know the top 4 or 5 guys in the 2019 draft.

What would you do with Scandella?

Not at all, the exact opposite. This is the same answer I've given you on the draft board.

I want them to come in last this year because I believe (ok 90% sure) all of the top 4 prospects will be in the NHL next season. All 4 (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk and Zadina) have the size and skill already.

Then you add that prospect to Guhle and Casey Mittelstadt, Ullmark, and CJ smith. Then I have hope for a much better product as soon as next season.

However, if CM stays in school then drafting 5th or 6th this year isn't as big a deal because Boqvist, Dobson or Hughes will be another at least. In this case, next year will be just as bad if not worse than this year and we may as well start getting to know the top 4 or 5 guys in the 2019 draft.

What would you do with Scandella?

He still has 2 years left at only 4 mil, so I can’t see why we wouldn’t keep him.

Please someone say something positive as i am just on a total downer at the moment. Can we not go back to 2015 with botts as the GM and keep our draft picks from that year.

Dont know where we go next, just need some hope to make me smile again.

What is our there to smile about? TM destroyed this team.

Should be gone - Gorges / Lehner / Johnson / Nolan 

Qualify - Reinhart / Nelson / maybe Wilson / maybe Antipin

Resign - maybe Pouliot / Falk 

Trade - Larsson / Beaulieu / maybe Girgenson

Shop for - #1 defense pair / #1 goaltender 

Pominville to the 4th line or make a Moulson like move

Should be gone - Gorges / Lehner / Johnson / Nolan 

Qualify - Reinhart / Nelson / maybe Wilson / maybe Antipin

Resign - maybe Pouliot / Falk 

Trade - Larsson / Beaulieu / maybe Girgenson

Shop for - #1 defense pair / #1 goaltender 

Pominville to the 4th line or make a Moulson like move

Nelson is a UFA no qualifying involved. Pay him or he shops his services. Also you are not qualifying Reinhart. 3,5 to 4 over 3 years is ball park.

Nelson is a UFA no qualifying involved. Pay him or he shops his services. Also you are not qualifying Reinhart. 3,5 to 4 over 3 years is ball park.

Spotrac has Nelson listed as a RFA. With Reinhart, thought any offer extended is termed a qualifying offer.

im going to be honest. i cant believe that nobody else was traded. when they said at the start of the season everyone not named jack was on the block. 

was jbott asking too much or is the roster that horrible that no other team wanted anyone from the team. 

i know 95% of my posts here are jokes about lehner, but this is an honest question. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.