contract buyout options

JohnRobertEichel

The Sabres currently have 9 players in the organization whose contracts are worth $2 million+ per year and run beyond this season.

Five of them clearly have trade value, so I'm not too concerned about unloading these players: Eichel, O'Reilly, Pominville, Ristolainen, Scandella.

Two of them suck major balls, but their contracts are only for one more year and aren't so large that JB couldn't dump them off in a trade: Beaulieu ($2.5 million) and Moulson ($3 million).

The two that I'm most worried about are Bogosian (2 years, $6 million each) and Okposo (5 years, $6 million for first three, $4 million for last two).

What do you all think about this? Is it worth buying out Bogosian and Okposo? Do they have any trade value whatsoever? I'm not 100% clear on the NHL buyout rules, but it looks like each might cost about $2 million per year for about twice the remaining years on their contract. I'm not sure how much this would hinder what JB wants to do in the future....

Best way to evaluate a potential buyout is capfriendly’s buyout tool. KO isn’t being bought out. Before the crater that is the last 3 games, his production was back to prior levels. He is finally healthy.

Bogo is gone. If Jbot can’t find some kind of trade, he’ll be bought out at season’s end.

No, don't spend a dime-in cap space-that isn't going to help the team once/if we quit sucking huge knob. We're not going to be good before the deals are up so basically wait until they're all off the books

I agree with this. No sense in buying players out while the team is this bad. Sure it cuts their cap hit in half, but it also extends them out twice as long. Why prolong their cap hits into times when we hope the team will finally be turning the corner?

Gorges is off the books this season (hopefully we can trade him for a 7th round pick at the deadline)

Moulson is off the books after next season (hopefully he chooses to retire after he gets his $1 million signing bonus on July 1st, 2018)

Pominville is off the books after next season as well, but he actually produces so I wouldn't look to move him until next season's trade deadline (assuming we'll be sellers again)

Bogosian is off the books the season after that and since his biggest issue is chronic injuries he can be put on IR any of the numerous times he'll be on the shelf and he'll only count against the cap if we have the space anyway

Okposo, O'Reilly, and Eichel are the only real dangers of long term players not living up to their contract. I'd honestly be looking to move Okposo but his value has got to be really low right now. Unfortunately if he improves his play to the point he raises his value, they'll probably want to keep him. O'Reilly is still productive but I'm sure he's available for the right return and love him or hate him we're stuck with Eichel for almost a decade.

I don't think Pommer will produce much, and I don't think anyone would take him in trade.

When he's a pending UFA (next season) he should be able to fetch something at the deadline. Especially since we can retain 50%. A prorated $2.8 million cap hit for a guy with his playoff experience should be enticing to some team, even if he only fetches a 3rd round pick or a middling prospect, it's better than nothing (again this assumes we'll be sellers again at next year's deadline).

When he's a pending UFA (next season) he should be able to fetch something at the deadline. Especially since we can retain 50%. A prorated $2.8 million cap hit for a guy with his playoff experience should be enticing to some team, even if he only fetches a 3rd round pick or a middling prospect, it's better than nothing (again this assumes we'll be sellers again at next year's deadline).

This is fair and reasonably possible assuming he hasn't fallen off the Moulson cliff.  My point was more that no one is going to take him this season or next summer. 

This is fair and reasonably possible assuming he hasn't fallen off the Moulson cliff.  My point was more that no one is going to take him this season or next summer. 

I agree. I wouldn't even want to move him before the next deadline though. We're already almost assuredly losing Kane and I personally would like to send Okposo packing as well. We'll be thin enough on talented wingers as it is.

I agree. I wouldn't even want to move him before the next deadline though. We're already almost assuredly losing Kane and I personally would like to send Okposo packing as well. We'll be thin enough on talented wingers as it is.

Is it not time that you get with the Swedish revolution, fyllbult?

I agree with this. No sense in buying players out while the team is this bad. Sure it cuts their cap hit in half, but it also extends them out twice as long. Why prolong their cap hits into times when we hope the team will finally be turning the corner?

Gorges is off the books this season (hopefully we can trade him for a 7th round pick at the deadline)

Moulson is off the books after next season (hopefully he chooses to retire after he gets his $1 million signing bonus on July 1st, 2018)

Pominville is off the books after next season as well, but he actually produces so I wouldn't look to move him until next season's trade deadline (assuming we'll be sellers again)

Bogosian is off the books the season after that and since his biggest issue is chronic injuries he can be put on IR any of the numerous times he'll be on the shelf and he'll only count against the cap if we have the space anyway

Okposo, O'Reilly, and Eichel are the only real dangers of long term players not living up to their contract. I'd honestly be looking to move Okposo but his value has got to be really low right now. Unfortunately if he improves his play to the point he raises his value, they'll probably want to keep him. O'Reilly is still productive but I'm sure he's available for the right return and love him or hate him we're stuck with Eichel for almost a decade.

Bogo counts against the cap when on IR. You are thinking of LTIR.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.