Predictions for 2017-18 Season

Marvelo

2-4-3 means they went to overtime 3 times as well. They were showing strong signs right out of the gate.

Will say even in the first year of Babcock a supposed tank year I enjoyed the season as the team played hard each game

It’s right the current Sabres will take some time to get to know the new system

But I expect from game one they will be a hard working team and much more fun to watch

The situation with Eichel's new contract appears to be a Catch-22.

Eichel signing a new contract is predicated on whether Buffalo becomes a winning franchise.

Buffalo being a winning franchise is predicated on Eichel leading the way. 

Eichel is only 20 years old and IMO is hardly able to lead at this stage of his career.

There is a fragile supporting cast of Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane and Okposo. These four all are flawed players, although Reinhart hasn't started to scratch the surface. The rest of the group are a bunch of pluggers.

Ultimately I agree with several posters...Buffalo is not going to be a winning franchise until Nylander and Middlestadt kick in, if they kick in.

That might be a ways off and by that time, Eichel may go to a team that's already winning, which I think is all he wanted in the first place. 

Edited by Marvelo

The situation with Eichel's new contract appears to be a Catch-22.

Eichel signing a new contract is predicated on whether Buffalo becomes a winning franchise.

Buffalo being a winning franchise is predicated on Eichel leading the way. 

Eichel is only 20 years old and IMO is hardly able to lead at this stage of his career.

There is a fragile supporting cast of Reinhart, O'Reilly, Kane and Okposo. These four all are flawed players, although Reinhart hasn't started to scratch the surface. The rest of the group are a bunch of pluggers.

Ultimately I agree with several posters...Buffalo is not going to be a winning franchise until Nylander and Middlestadt kick in, if they kick in.

That might be a ways off and by that time, Eichel may go to a team that's already winning, which I think is all he wanted in the first place.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your "hot takes" uniformly come across as uninformed.

Time to get back to actual predictions................

I joined this board when they fired Murray. I guess there's some silence policy when you first join but I was excited we were finally going the right way. Doubled that with Housley's hiring, was afraid they'd hire Sutter or some other dinosaur with old time thinking. Forgot I was on this board but was hugely optimistic about the possible turnaround. Then I remembered I was here and checked in. I have been slowly watching my optimism erode and now my fears that this will take longer than we want it to have more weight behind them than any blind optimism.

I've seen bits of several teams in preseason, and sad to say they all looked way ahead of what we showed. Now its just preseason, but................

So, unless there is some miracle magical turnaround (fingers crossed) and it all suddenly falls together in the first month, I see us close to or dead last.

I joined this board when they fired Murray. I guess there's some silence policy when you first join but I was excited we were finally going the right way. Doubled that with Housley's hiring, was afraid they'd hire Sutter or some other dinosaur with old time thinking. Forgot I was on this board but was hugely optimistic about the possible turnaround. Then I remembered I was here and checked in. I have been slowly watching my optimism erode and now my fears that this will take longer than we want it to have more weight behind them than any blind optimism.

I've seen bits of several teams in preseason, and sad to say they all looked way ahead of what we showed. Now its just preseason, but................

So, unless there is some miracle magical turnaround (fingers crossed) and it all suddenly falls together in the first month, I see us close to or dead last.

Pokey, I also believe that even an improved Sabres team may struggle to get out of 7th in the Atlantic.  There are many solid teams in the division with more proven track records and add that the hated Leafs are likely to continue to improve. Add in the new system and roles on this team causing them to really struggle out of the gate.   However I believe they will click in the second half, but it probably won't be enough to make the playoffs.   

That said, ask yourself two questions.  1) can this forward group with help from more dynamic D like Scandella, Baloo and Antipin score 20 more goals then last season?  Hell, Jack may increase his total alone by 15. 2) Can this upgraded D group decrease the shots against Lehner and therefore also the goals against by the same 20 goals?  I think this is likely.   If both of these things happen the Sabres goal differential will go from -32 last season to +8 and the Sabres will be in the thick of the playoff battle.  

Actual footage of Marvelo after that ^ post:

:lol:

Pokey, I also believe that even an improved Sabres team may struggle to get out of 7th in the Atlantic.  There are many solid teams in the division with more proven track records and add that the hated Leafs are likely to continue to improve. Add in the new system and roles on this team causing them to really struggle out of the gate.   However I believe they will click in the second half, but it probably won't be enough to make the playoffs.   

That said, ask yourself two questions.  1) can this forward group with help from more dynamic D like Scandella, Baloo and Antipin score 20 more goals then last season?  Hell, Jack may increase his total alone by 15. 2) Can this upgraded D group decrease the shots against Lehner and therefore also the goals against by the same 20 goals?  I think this is likely.   If both of these things happen the Sabres goal differential will go from -32 last season to +8 and the Sabres will be in the thick of the playoff battle.

They will definitely be in the battle. The Q is whether they enter it early enough to get a playoff spot. Homer says yes. But if the6

they aren't at least 3-5-2 through 1st 10, they're likely screwed.

:lol:

They will definitely be in the battle. The Q is whether they enter it early enough to get a playoff spot. Homer says yes. But if the6

they aren't at least 3-5-2 through 1st 10, they're likely screwed.

That's key. They can afford a mediocre start. But not a terrible one.

Well I suspect the Hurricanes, Lightning and Flyers will all be better than last year so unless somebody falls apart totally only Detroit, Florida and the Devils are in the bottom battle with us. Montreal and Ottawa both have a few question marks but the rest of last years playoff teams are all definitely above us. Just haven't seen much to give me optimism.

On top of that, our payroll is too close to the cap with what we have. If we stink up the first few months I wouldn't be surprised if we see yet another tear down and start over. In that case, I would say only Risto and Eichel are safe. But that's only an IF. We could still surprise. I'd love to be wrong.

Well I suspect the Hurricanes, Lightning and Flyers will all be better than last year so unless somebody falls apart totally only Detroit, Florida and the Devils are in the bottom battle with us. Montreal and Ottawa both have a few question marks but the rest of last years playoff teams are all definitely above us. Just haven't seen much to give me optimism.

On top of that, our payroll is too close to the cap with what we have. If we stink up the first few months I wouldn't be surprised if we see yet another tear down and start over. In that case, I would say only Risto and Eichel are safe. But that's only an IF. We could still surprise. I'd love to be wrong.

The payroll issue is a holdover from ex-GMTM with nearly 9 mill wrapped up in Gorges and Moulson. Gorges comes off the books this season and Moulson will be traded or bought out by next season. Also if the team fails, expect Kane to be traded, leaving only Bogo's bloated deal to contend with.

However if we are going to improve, our next wave of kids (Guhle, Nylander, Mittelstud and Asplund) are going to have a make an impact sooner then later so that we can afford Jack, McCabe, and Sam, since it is beginning to look like Bailey's group may never be more then bottom depth.

There is still enough here to be competitive but we are going to need to stay healthy and have guys like Antipin, Pouliot and Griffith to exceed expectations.

Edited by GASabresFan

Again explain your cap issue. You keep dropping this cap problem like it's some fact of life when it isn't. The Sabres are not in cap trouble.

Good post. I feel exactly the same.

I've watched quite a bit preseason, mostly teams out west, and they all look light years ahead of BUF. I'm bracing for another loooong season.

Year three of the Eichel era: this is when the seeds we planted with all that suffering are supposed to begin the bear fruit.

I expect some rough moments in transition. Phil and the players will have to persevere through them.

Jack needs to be elite.

Risto and Sam and Robin need to be very good.

Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe need to be useful NHLers or more.

The Rochester kids need to start breaking the ceiling

Players have to emerge (Griffith? Antipin? Rodrigues?) from unexpected places.

One could argue that none of these things have happened.

Some have to start this year.

Year three of the Eichel era: this is when the seeds we planted with all that suffering are supposed to begin the bear fruit.

I expect some rough moments in transition. Phil and the players will have to persevere through them.

Jack needs to be elite.

Risto and Sam and Robin need to be very good.

Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe need to be useful NHLers or more.

The Rochester kids need to start breaking the ceiling

Players have to emerge (Griffith? Antipin? Rodrigues?) from unexpected places.

One could argue that none of these things have happened.

Some have to start this year.

Will anyone be potentially satisfied with a non-playoffs season this year? For me that's the success/fail barometer for this year. No excuses, get in.

So ...... 6th or 7th in the Atlantic.

Puck Daddy has us 7th in the Atlantic, and Hockeynews has us at 6th.

Well, this guy says something quite different haha:

https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/status/914528327377006592

Will anyone be potentially satisfied with a non-playoffs season this year? For me that's the success/fail barometer for this year. No excuses, get in.

Yes, I could be satisfied depending on how well they play and compete closely for a playoff spot. I am one on this board who tries not to overrate our team or underrate the opposition.

Yes, I could be satisfied depending on how well they play and compete closely for a playoff spot. I am one on this board who tries not to overrate our team or underrate the opposition.

That's fair, but after missing for 6 years straight I think the time is ripe for them to make the playoffs. Just competing (and failing) to get a spot, at this point in the build, for me wouldn't be enough.

I don't think playoffs are an unreasonable expectation at all.

I was listening to Patrick O'Sullivan on the NHL Network and he likes our forward group, but is worried about our D group.  I found his take on the forwards interesting, because after I compared Reinhart new line to Kadri's line in Toronto, I'm more comfortable with our bottom 6, although I don't we can expect much out of our 4 line scoring wise.  He also likes Scandella and Risto, but wonders if McCabe has more upside.  However he thought Baloo could really benefit from getting out of Montreal and getting a fresh start in Buffalo.  He thinks he has all the skills to flourish in the NHL.  We need to hope he is right.

Well, this guy says something quite different haha:https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/status/914528327377006592

id be okay with it if and only if we win the lottery. Otherwise...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.