GDT Prospects Challenge: Pittsburgh 9-11-17 7:00

rakish

I've been pumping the brakes on Guhle, but he sure looked good.

People seemed to have soured on Hudson Fasching after his injury last year.

He wasn't as flashy as Bailey, but the kid sure looks like a pro.

It'll be interesting to see how the defense shakes out this year. We could easily have a really good defensive corps from top to bottom by the end of the season depending on whether or not any holes open up for a player like Guhle. 

It'll be interesting to see how the defense shakes out this year. We could easily have a really good defensive corps from top to bottom by the end of the season depending on whether or not any holes open up for a player like Guhle.

I'd send him to Rochester. More minutes and can learn to be a pro.

Why?

Agreed. He's the type of prospect I usually look down my nose at, and I don't expect him to make it, but he's played well so far.

What I liked about this camp - and I credit Botterill - is the competition that has been set up.

I like to talk about the Rochester four, but guys like Smith and Rodrigues and Griffin aren't going to be handing them spots.

And Girgensons and Moulson and Josefson and Pouliot and Deslauriers aren't going to be giving them away.

That's a dozen guys with a shot at five or six spots. Good place to be, a place we haven't been in a while.

Edited by dudacek

Why?

He was so far out of his league last April that it wasn't even funny. I was at his second NHL game and it was uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly. As we've seen from countless prospect tournaments over the years, performance here means nothing in terms of immediate NHL impact. 

Think Derek Grant making the team again but worse and on the wing. 

Bailey and Guhle certainly look NHL ready, but I'd still send them all to Roch to start the season.    With Smith, Fasching and Baptiste, that's a nice core in Rochester to build something down there.   I'd really like to see these guys have success there, both individually and as a team, before getting regular duty in Buffalo.      Let them play the entire season down there unless somebody breaks out and consistently dominates at that level. 

I don't think either tell us much. Let's see what training camp looks like. If he's AHL bound that's fine.

If he looks like he did in the prospect tournament and in the NHL for his cup of tea and his 4 years of college then he won't end up anywhere near Buffalo

Dude just flat out isn't an NHL player 

Bailey and Guhle certainly look NHL ready, but I'd still send them all to Roch to start the season.    With Smith, Fasching and Baptiste, that's a nice core in Rochester to build something down there.   I'd really like to see these guys have success there, both individually and as a team, before getting regular duty in Buffalo.      Let them play the entire season down there unless somebody breaks out and consistently dominates at that level. 

I'm not buying on Bailey. He's dominated this tournament for 3 years now, leaning on his physical abilities that are only average at the NHL level. He has to stop playing like he's Kucherov if he ever wants to stick. 

I'm not buying on Bailey. He's dominated this tournament for 3 years now, leaning on his physical abilities that are only average at the NHL level. He has to stop playing like he's Kucherov if he ever wants to stick. 

Completely disagree.    He has above average NHL physical abilities.   His speed alone is above average, once he figures it out he's going to be an asset.    Kucherov?   I don't see it.   IMO he's a very similar to Andreas Athanasiou both in skill set and how he plays the game.    

Completely disagree.    He has above average NHL physical abilities.   His speed alone is above average, once he figures it out he's going to be an asset.    Kucherov?   I don't see it.   IMO he's a very similar to Andreas Athanasiou both in skill set and how he plays the game.    

While I agree that he's "strong", he's surprisingly weak on his skates. 

Athanasiou is a bad comparison because he may be the fastest straight-line player in the NHL. He's certainly up there with Grabner, MacKinnon, Wood, McDavid etc.

And by "play like Kucherov" I mean the guy tries to dance and deke and play as if he's a superstar, but his skill set is not up to par to be successful with it. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.