Front Page Redesign

Eleven

You know what, I never go to the front page, but just did.

I like it a lot, but I don't know what it was like before this.

Front page is where all the best news is. Especially from out-of-town media when the Sabres play. It's great to read articles from "foreign" media who cover the Sabs' opponents.

Front page is where all the best news is. Especially from out-of-town media when the Sabres play. It's great to read articles from "foreign" media who cover the Sabs' opponents.

I noticed that it looks full of info and such.  I think I will go there more often, time permitting.

Yuck. No you don't. I'm like 50% done. It looks like a hound's breakfast right now.

As I sort things out, I'm trying to:

1. get mobile responsive

2. add https

3. increase readabilty

4. speed up load times

5. remove all my good intentions that never amounted to anything

Yuck. No you don't. I'm like 50% done. It looks like a hound's breakfast right now.

1. get mobile responsive

2. add https

3. increase readabilty

4. speed up load times

I actually do!  The only change I'd make is move the "Join the Discussion" link to the top of the topic list.

Otherwise I think it looks very nice and clean, and it loaded VERY quickly, more quickly than the old one ever did.

I'm not on mobile, though.

I actually do!  The only change I'd make is move the "Join the Discussion" link to the top of the topic list.

Otherwise I think it looks very nice and clean, and it loaded VERY quickly, more quickly than the old one ever did.

I'm not on mobile, though.

yeah, I haven't even touched the sidebar. I'm just working on the news feed at the moment (fonts/sizes/spacing/"day" grouping/format).

1. get mobile responsive

2. add https

3. increase readabilty

4. speed up load times

Okay glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for it, lol.  Is the shortcut to the Aud Club going to come back (the one on the right side under the list of recent threads)?

Okay glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for it, lol.  Is the shortcut to the Aud Club going to come back (the one on the right side under the list of recent threads)?

ha, well it depends - when did you not care for it? Just now or early today/last night?

"COMMUNITY DISCUSSION" is a direct link now on the side bar as well as direct link in the menu below the header.

ha, well it depends - when did you not care for it? Just now or early today/last night?

"COMMUNITY DISCUSSION" is a direct link now on the side bar as well as direct link in the menu below the header.

More yesterday than today.  ;) It's a lot easier to read for someone like me, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ginormous new font size on everything.  But good to know about the Community Discussion link... I was used to one that went straight to the Aud Club (I think?), but this works!

More yesterday than today.  ;) It's a lot easier to read for someone like me, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ginormous new font size on everything.  But good to know about the Community Discussion link... I was used to one that went straight to the Aud Club (I think?), but this works!

yeah, I see it goes to the forum index page. It's on my list of things to look into. For now, it's an extra click - sorry about that. But the menu should be a straight click.

As for font size. The trend has been for larger for years. I tried to strike a balance from the cramped design before and the Helen Keller font sizes of today.

yeah, I see it goes to the forum index page. It's on my list of things to look into. For now, it's an extra click - sorry about that. But the menu should be a straight click.

As for font size. The trend has been for larger for years. I tried to strike a balance from the cramped design before and the Helen Keller font sizes of today.

My post-LASIK eyes thank you, good sir.   :thumbsup:

I must say, I did like the old one better, namely because of the whole right side which is now missing.

But it is not. The front page is now responsive, so that mobile users no longer have to zoom in and pan left and right. The right bar information is located after the articles on smaller, mobile screens.

n.b. clicking "Community Forums" at the top takes you directly to The Aud Club.  Clicking "Community Discussion" on the right takes you to the main forums page.

I understand the inconsistency. I would actually like the opposite and it is on my to do list (the change isn't trivial on the right hand side).

I understand the inconsistency. I would actually like the opposite and it is on my to do list (the change isn't trivial on the right hand side).

It's not a problem, at least the way I see it; I just wanted to point out where the links are so other posters can follow them.

I like it on mobile, but I never use the front page on mobile. 

I don't like it on desktop, but that's the only time I use the front page. 

My major gripe is that there's too much white space/it's boring. If I were a fan looking for a forum to post on for the first time, I don't know if I'd be as attracted to Sabrespace if the front page in its current state was my first impression. 

I like it on mobile, but I never use the front page on mobile. 

I don't like it on desktop, but that's the only time I use the front page. 

My major gripe is that there's too much white space/it's boring. If I were a fan looking for a forum to post on for the first time, I don't know if I'd be as attracted to Sabrespace if the front page in its current state was my first impression. 

A couple points:

1. Over 50% of my traffic comes from mobile, which is a sobering thought given that none of my properties were ever optimized for a mobile experience.

2. Google pushes the design with their algorithm. If a site is not mobile optimized, you get downgraded. 16px is now the Google recommended font size (I can remember using 10/11 pt size a long time ago.) I've tried to add just enough white space to let it breathe, but not going overboard. I've eliminated 50% of the white space from the base theme design. I'm trying to strike a balance. I think the old design was really claustrophobic. 

3. My primary goal was to make everything functioning properly for mobile. So, right now - a bunch of items are "good enough" simply because they aren't broken. I have a laundry list of remaining tweaks.

4. Pictures and logos are what makes sports sites attractive. I have to always balance that since the logos aren't mine photos are copyrighted. The eye candy is minimal at the moment, but whatever additional visual pop I cna add has to be legalish and sustainable.

Is there a fan site that stands out to you?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.