Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

The Sabres' "anchors" aren't holding them back right now. It's ok.

Bull . Between Ennis, Moulson, Bogosian, and Gorges that is almost 19 miilion in cap space for dead weight next season. There's no possible way that much dead wood isn't impacting our ability to ice a better team this season.

Edited by Drunkard

######. Between Ennis, Moulson, Bogosian, and Gorges that is almost 19 miilion in cap space for dead weight next season. There's no possible way that much dead wood isn't impacting our ability to ice a better team this season.

We have 24 million in cap space next season (2017/2018)

It looks like the Islanders protected list was irrelevant - they paid a first and a second to keep their roster intact and dump a contract.

I'm thinking the best way to look at is something like a mid-first for DeHaan and a second to dump Grabovski.

We have 24 million in cap space next season (2017/2018)

So we could have 43 million and 4 more open spots. Enough to extend Kane and bring in someone like Shattenkirk or someone else who would actually earn their paycheck.

My point still stands. We could ice a much better team without those guys. Maybe we wouldn't have wasted the ELC's of Eichel and Reinhart. At this rate we'll be wasting the cheap years for Nylander and Guhle next waiting for these bums to come off the books.

So Hamsammich was actually right about Carrier/Ullmark?

No forkin' Schlitz?

Surprised. Really thought William was unprotected as a sweetener to either get a D or lose a Moulson. (Or ideally lise a Moulson while gaining a D.)

I'm surprised you would think Carrier has the kind of value to be able to move Moulson.  It shows two things, Carrier has very very little value and Moulson's contract is that bad.

Really ? 

Gorges gone after this year, Moulson in 2 years, Bogo is the only one that might stifle us a bit.

If you see what other teams payed, florida for smith comes to mind ( that is not even a really bad one).

my sentiments exactly, of to bed 03.30 am  :blink:

Should have worded that differently. I was OK with losing any of the players on the non protected list including Ullmark or Carrier

The dream scenario was Vegas taking Bogo, Moulson, or Ennis's Contract, that obviously didn't happen so that was disappointing

As you mentioned the price for doing so would have been very expensive

So we could have 43 million and 4 more open spots. Enough to extend Kane and bring in someone like Shattenkirk or someone else who would actually earn their paycheck.

My point still stands. We could ice a much better team without those guys. Maybe we wouldn't have wasted the ELC's of Eichel and Reinhart. At this rate we'll be wasting the cheap years for Nylander and Guhle next waiting for these bums to come off the books.

C'mon man there's a huge bright side.  The Ennis contract isn't that bad in real money but with an additional $1 mil per makes it less cap friendly - I suspect Moulson will be bought out which obviously only saves us 2/3 and extends out 2 additional years but that may have more value than him playing - Gorges is only for one more year and we can use him as a 3rd pair D or the 7th - Bogosian just has to play better, period, he's shown that he can be a good player and Housley's got to get it out of him. 

We're not in bad shape and if we want Kane we can have him without money being an issue.  Keeping Lehner at 4.5-5 million is really where we should be focusing our attention. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we're without financial flaws in terms of contracts but we're definitely not in a situation that we can't build this team exactly how we choose to.  It'll be fun to see how JBot makes his decisions and he'll have plenty of financial flexibility to do so.

I'm 42 years old and have been "watching" the Sabres since being a small child. I'll admit that because I didn't play organized hockey (just in the street) I never learned the game. Just probably in the last 10 years I've made an effort to learn the game (hope that makes sense).

I'm really surprised/disappointed at the reaction by several posters I've come to respect and I've learned a lot from. I'm finding it hard to believe that some posters actually think we had a chance for Ennis, Bogo or Moulson to get selected - especially by just exposing them. The word protected keeps getting flown around for Ennis and I can't help but chuckle. We did not protect Ennis - he simply was not getting selected and certainly not without giving significant draft pick(s).

They made an organizational decision to keep Ullmark instead of Carrier. I'm shocked there's posters actually correlating that to not liking JBot. It's such an insignificant move and I'm happy we are an organization that had the ability to come out relatively unscathed with this expansion. This expansion draft didn't thwart the direction we're going in one bit. Fully understanding we have bad contracts but there's no chance those players were in play - they're our bad contracts to deal with and shouldn't have been seriously thought as ones we could dupe the new team into taking. That's how unattractive they are.

Not only that, this "draft" was nothing but a dog and pony show. Each GM knew who they were taking and why. Due to the trading aspect of this "draft", no one really was "protected". It didn't matter who was official protected and exposed because every player was potential in play to be moved or be a pawn. It would've been a lot more interesting if the NHL said "no side deals" to influence selections.

I expected Moulson moving on also costing a 4th or so.

You're one of my favorite posters so with all due respect - I just don't see the value there for LV or any team.  I think the price to take on Mouson's contract would probably be more like offering our 2nd - they'd say no.  They'd ask for our #8 and we'd say no. 

Obviously I have no knowledge of this and the expansion isn't something many people can be well versed on.  I did hear enough conversation that to take on contracts like that LV would want very high picks.  They just weren't as desperate as many people originally thought - mainly because there were teams (unlike us) that actually had to expose players that had a significant money contract but were much better player options than Moulson.

You're one of my favorite posters so with all due respect - I just don't see the value there for LV or any team.  I think the price to take on Mouson's contract would probably be more like offering our 2nd - they'd say no.  They'd ask for our #8 and we'd say no. 

Obviously I have no knowledge of this and the expansion isn't something many people can be well versed on.  I did hear enough conversation that to take on contracts like that LV would want very high picks.  They just weren't as desperate as many people originally thought - mainly because there were teams (unlike us) that actually had to expose players that had a significant money contract but were much better player options than Moulson.

I probably discounted that they'd already taken on the Clarkson contract & another 1 or 2 that made it easy to get to the floor / near the cap.

I also apparently overvalued the $2MM/ yr already paid out on that $5MM/yr cap hit. Throw in his usefulness in front of the net on the 1st PP & his wife's ties to McPhee & I did believe the Sabres could dump him for Carrier & a pick. :oops:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.