OT - Gregg Allman RIP

TheAud

Passed away with friends and family at his side today, aged 69 years. 

I have a very personal emotional connection to the music of the Allman Brothers Band and Gregg Allman. Live at Fillmore East of course gets a lot of love but Brothers and Sisters, Eat a Peach, and even some of the comeback albums like Seven Turns and Shades of Two Worlds are fantastic. I love Gregg's solo effort Laid Back and enjoyed his fairly recent album Low Country Blues. My understanding is that a new album is set to be released, now posthumously, in September.

I lived in Macon, GA for two years, literally a block away from the building that once house Capricorn Records where the first Allman Bro's albums were recorded. We used to eat at the H&H Restaurant where the band ate in their early days. During the heyday they used to fly Mama H with them to cook. Gold records and pictures adorned the walls as a result.  One night, I was reading the excellent bio of the band "Midnight Riders" by Scott Freeman and saw that Gregg's second marriage had been presided over by Judge Taylor Phillips, in Macon. I leapt off the couch and called my fiance (now ex-wife) as she and I had just met with Judge Phillips and he agreed to marry us that June. When we met with him again I asked about the Allman marriage. He told us about it and mentioned that Gregg left his chewing gum in the ash tray. After he left, the Judge's secretary asked him if she could have it! They were 'as big as the Beatles' (at least in some places) at the time. 

Got to see the band four times, twice with Dickey, twice with Trucks & Haynes. I'd argue they were the greatest Southern Rock band, and one of, if not the greatest, rock bands the United States has ever produced.

RIP Gregg and enjoy hanging with Duane again after all these years.  

Edited by Sakman

Such a amazing talent...being 59 and growing up in the late 60s and early 70s I was so into music and it was plentiful. Today is a bunch of crap being passed as music...Gregg, along with so many others, produced so much wonderful music and the memories live on forever..RIP

I know its a later song of theirs, long after Duane died, but this has long been my favorite:

The thing is, when you finally replace Duane with the ultra talented Warren Haynes (who wrote it) and then eventually replace the legendary Dickey Betts with the phenomenal Derek Trucks...well that's a legendary band.  Gregg, Butch, and Jaimoe just kept the spirit constant throughout. 

Thank you for posting this...I love this song too. Great stuff between Derek and Warren on this performance - wow! BTW other versions of this on a couple of Gov't Mule albums are also very good and you might enjoy them (if not already familiar). I have it on The Deep End, Volume 1 and really like it.  

Actually I just went to Youtube to save this to my list of liked videos and saw the date and location...Beacon Theater in 2008...it's possible I was at that show! Or at least I was at a show in the same Beacon run that year. 

Edited by Sakman

This is very cool:

Very cool.

Surprised how few people here reacted to this. Gregg is one of the very best.

For me, this one wasn't surprising at all.  If anything, it was expected.  There were rumors a couple of months ago that he was under the care of hospice.  I don't know that it was ever confirmed.  But it was fairly common knowledge that he had a number of health problems.

Was never a real big fan of southern rock as a genre, but I did enjoy the hell out of the Allman Bros Band.  Fantastic musicality regardless of the lineup.  Glad I saw them live the lat time the played Darien Lake.

Thanks for sharing the videos!

Greg led a full and colorful life - still cannot understand the Cher thing - may he R.I.P.

Duane was one of a kind, and in my opinion, impossible to replace. Nevertheless, kudos to them for bringing in Warren then Derek to keep the band moving forward while giving full props to the legacy.

Dickey Betts lost my respect for liking to hit his women.

Great band, who bring back great memories for me of a very fun and formative stage of my life. Makes me smile to think about the mid to late 70's...

So this came up the other night talking about the band with some friends. Do you guys consider them blues music? I know they're, primarily, considered southern rock, but to me they're a blues outfit. I suppose the distinction is minor, but I got looks like I was crazy when I called them 'blues'.

Early Allmans?  Mostly straight-ahead blues band who happened to have southern roots.

They were a different breed than Marshall Tucker Band, Outlaws, and ARS, which I (and probably most) consider among the pioneer Southern Rock bands

Early Allmans?  Mostly straight-ahead blues band who happened to have southern roots.

They were a different breed than Marshall Tucker Band, Outlaws, and ARS, which I (and probably most) consider among the pioneer Southern Rock bands

Agree with this. Recently as I've gotten more into various Chicago Blues acts of the 50's I'm struck with the similarity to Live at Fillmore East in many respects. 

The Dickey Betts tunes were more pure 'Southern Rock' whereas the songs penned by Gregg leaned heavily into Bluesland. 

Agree with this. Recently as I've gotten more into various Chicago Blues acts of the 50's I'm struck with the similarity to Live at Fillmore East in many respects. 

The Dickey Betts tunes were more pure 'Southern Rock' whereas the songs penned by Gregg leaned heavily into Bluesland. 

Couldn't agree with you more :thumbsup: !

So this came up the other night talking about the band with some friends. Do you guys consider them blues music? I know they're, primarily, considered southern rock, but to me they're a blues outfit. I suppose the distinction is minor, but I got looks like I was crazy when I called them 'blues'.

Good call

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.