Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

1 - Well, you've admitted that he hired Whaley and that he participated in hiring Rex.  Do I need more proof?

2 -- No.  As team president, his role was to make money AND produce a good team that isn't an NFL laughingstock.  He made a short-term decision to increase revenue by implementing the Toronto series, which materially contributed to the Bills' chronic losing and their "achieving" NFL laughingstock status.

3 -- So "someone has to be the GM" excuses hiring a terrible GM?

His involvement in football operations stretches back further than this;   When Levy left he assumed the post of GM - and was responsible for the horrible Nix/Gailey era of fail.  

The last thing Pegula should have been doing was extending Brandon's tendrils throughout his nascent sports empire - why on earth name a guy with zero hockey experience as Sabres President?  Especially a guy with a long history of horrible football decisions?

https://twitter.com/sn590gbrady

Talked to a few NHL people today - "beyond unprofessional" & "aghast" were terms used to describe Pegula actions today....

It's not that you decide to move off of Tim Murray or the more-accomplished Bylsma, but the day AFTER the Eichel story is a bad, bad look.

So because of the EIchel story the Sabres were supposed to be paralyzed?

So he's saying Jack and his agent are lying when they say he didn't say those things?  I guess he shouldn't have asked Tim and Dan what they thought about it then.  Are they the NHL people they talked to?

His involvement in football operations stretches back further than this;   When Levy left he assumed the post of GM - and was responsible for the horrible Nix/Gailey era of fail.  

The last thing Pegula should have been doing was extending Brandon's tendrils throughout his nascent sports empire - why on earth name a guy with zero hockey experience as Sabres President?  Especially a guy with a long history of horrible football decisions?

Well if you believe Terry Pegula, Brandon's area is strictly sales and revenue, not hockey or football operations.

Well if you believe Terry Pegula, Brandon's area is strictly sales and revenue, not hockey or football operations.

Well, I don't believe Pegula;  he's not exactly an open and honest chap;   look at the contradictory and conflicting stories around Rex Ryan's firing;  he provided different accounts of the firing.    He also says he doesn't like to fire people - do you believe that too?  He's fired, what, NINE HCs in a few years time?  

And why would we want a president of the hockey club that's as useless as tits on a bull in a scenario like this?  Contrast Brandon to Shanahan - who would YOU rather have running a club where both the GM and HC are gone?   Which of those gentlemen are  better qualified to provide consul and advice on moving the team forward to ownership?    

IF the only thing that Pegula needed was snake oil, then Russ Brandon is the man to turn to.   But in this situation?  LOL

That doesn't mean we're able to post totally untrue things about people and blow it off as a message board does it? If someone post something I would like more information on I'm going to ask about it. If they can't or won't back it up, then I'm going to say it's BS until I learn otherwise.

It means that someone can post stories they've heard about RB and describe them as stories they've heard.  That's all that's happened -- plus someone else weirdly getting on a high horse and being fairly obnoxious about it.

FYI: The team's record is 24-24 under Whaley.  Practically 0-48.  

You can blame RB for all the losses, just like you can blame Whaley and Overdorf or the midget trainer. When do the coaches and players get blamed?

The last part is just you unwilling to believe anything positive about Brandon. It's a fact he negotiated that lease. Sorry it goes against your preferred reality.

No.  Whaley has been the GM for 4 (awful) seasons.  His records were 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9.

Are you saying that the team president and the GM are not accountable for the team's performance?  Really?

While RB may have participated in negotiating the lease, there is NFW that the decision to make it economically very difficult to move the team came from anyone other than Ralph. 

It means that someone can post stories they've heard about RB and describe them as stories they've heard.  That's all that's happened -- plus someone else weirdly getting on a high horse and being fairly obnoxious about it.

No.  Whaley has been the GM for 4 (awful) seasons.  His records were 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9.

Are you saying that the team president and the GM are not accountable for the team's performance?  Really?

While RB may have participated in negotiating the lease, there is NFW that the decision to make it economically very difficult to move the team came from anyone other than Ralph. 

From Wikipedia:

Whaley was named assistant general manager and Director of Pro Personnel of the Buffalo Bills on February 10, 2010. Whaley oversaw the team's Pro Personnel department and assisted General Manager Buddy Nix in all football-related administrative duties and in the college talent evaluation process until Nix stepped down from the general manager position on May 13, 2013. Whaley became Buffalo's GM three days later.

Whaley has been GM three seasons. That's a fact.  Ralph was in ill health when Brandon did the lease and not involved with the team day-to-day. That's also a fact.  If you want to start making up your own, then I'm not debating you.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Outstanding.

As I posted upthread, Elliotte Friedman, who knows a lot more about this than anyone here, said today that people will be lining up for the GM job.

Numbers (people) mean nothing. If there's not a legit GM amongst them, it doesn't matter.

Just catching wind of all this now.

The firing of GMTM strikes me as strange; Pegula has revealed himself, slowly, over time, to be kind of an idiot and not a good owner at all.

He has lots of money and kept both teams in Buffalo.  Once you get beyond that, his ownership of both franchises has been total crap.

High horse? Obnoxious? Strike a nerve did I?   Don't want a response. Don't post.

That doesn't mean we're able to post totally untrue things about people and blow it off as a message board does it? If someone post something I would like more information on I'm going to ask about it. If they can't or won't back it up, then I'm going to say it's BS until I learn otherwise.

Can opinions be untrue? Can educated guesses be untrue?

(Hint: Not really.)

I don't trust Pegula currently. To much of saying something or nothing and then suddenly changing course. I think Tim Murray should have been given more time, but if his stance was Bylsma stays then he had to go. Bylsma isn't a good coach. 

As for Russ Brandon, I will pause and see what impact he has on the next step of the process. If a coach and GM are hired in that order I will have more thoughts. A gm needs to come in and hire a coach they can work with. 

If he didn't draft the players then what responsibility does he have for the 2013 season? The GM's work cycle starts in May and culminates next April.

It's pretty well settled that drafting EJ was DW's call. Nice one, there.

DW also had the rest of the 2013 offseason -- i.e. free agency deciding on the roster, etc.

It's pretty well settled that drafting EJ was DW's call. Nice one, there.

DW also had the rest of the 2013 offseason -- i.e. free agency deciding on the roster, etc.

If you pin EJ on Whaley does he get credit for trading down and getting Kiko Alonzo?

Why not blame Whaley for the whole 17 years?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So back to Hockey talk because this isn't 2 bills drive...

From what I have read since the firing the issues may have been a long simmering thing that finally Pegula's had had enough of.

I don't know how far I want to take my speculation, but we could go all the way back to GMTM's initial spat with PLF if you want to look for smoke.

At the very least I think what we saw with the whole pep talk thing, and the sudden rule making, is that GMTM had WAYYYYY too much faith in Bylsma. And by the time he started doing what he needed to do, it was too late.

If you pin EJ on Whaley does he get credit for trading down and getting Kiko Alonzo?

Why not blame Whaley for the whole 17 years?

Like any GM, he gets credit for his good moves and criticism for his poor ones -- but most of all, he, like every GM, is accountable for W-L results, because his job is to produce a winning team. He's failed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.