Lost Point Countdown: -15 Final: 78 (Mathmatically Eliminated)

MattPie

I thought you would kill off this thread once the countdown reached 0, but the negative countdown does add a sort of elegance to the futility.

I'm torn, perhaps I should have, but at this point I'm interested how far off they end up and how close 93 is to being "right".

What we've all been waiting for....

BUF is currently sitting 7th in points lost %.

NHL Lottery Odds for 7th place team....

1st pick: 6.50%

2nd pick: 6.87%

3rd pick: 7.23%

7th pick: 28.87%

8th pick: 39.94%

9th pick: 11.66%

10th pick: 0.74%

Chance to move up: 20.59%

Chance to move down: 70.41% 

Hockey Reference now has seven teams with ZERO probability of making the playoffs.  Understandably,  Buffalo is among that worst 7 in the league with zero chance.  And yet this is the 2nd year of a high dollar, high profile coach and a supposed 'rebuild' team, and only March 22, and out of it. Again.  

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.cgi

Edited by Jsixspd

Hockey Reference now has seven teams with ZERO probability of making the playoffs.  Understandably,  Buffalo is among that worst 7 in the league with zero chance.  And yet this is the 2nd year of a high dollar, high profile coach and a supposed 'rebuild' team, and only March 22, and out of it. Again.  

Zero seems unlikely, but < 0.05 % isn't. :) The Sabres have to be close to mathematical elimination by now though.

Buffalo:

Chance to move up: 0%

Chance to move down: 90%

Edited for accuracy based off of Bettman's desires.

Buffalo:

Chance to move up: 0%

Chance to move down: 90%

Edited for accuracy based off of Bettman's desires.

No Bettman suspended Risto for 3 games to help the Sabres lose more games and therefore get a better draft slot.

btw i this up... it's completely wrong, forgot to factor in the Vegas team which gets the same odds as the 3rd place team..

To be honest, they held out longer than I expected. All that's left is can Jack, and the Sabres, manage 1 Point per game.

At this point what good does winning a couple of extra games? I hate to say this, but every point hurts our draft position and that's all that is really left of this season.

At this point what good does winning a couple of extra games? I hate to say this, but every point hurts our draft position and that's all that is really left of this season.

Jack I'm rooting for 1 PPG. The team it's more amusement to see how low they'll go. I'd be fine with losing to slide down in the rankings.

post-1315-0-65234700-1428418180_thumb.png
post-1315-0-26375500-1427422963_thumb.jpg

The season was lost when they dropped below 93 points maximum.  Unfortunately they won a few games which really hurts the draft prospects.  :(  

Was anyone thinking they were still in it at 88 pts max?   LOL.    That would be 5 fewer points than any team has ever qualified for the playoffs with.  

It's up to TEN teams now that have zero % chance of the playoffs.  Sabres were lucky to get in on this EARLY, eh?   ;)

The season was lost when they dropped below 93 points maximum.  Unfortunately they won a few games which really hurts the draft prospects.   :(  

Was anyone thinking they were still in it at 88 pts max?   LOL.    That would be 5 fewer points than any team has ever qualified for the playoffs with.  

It's up to TEN teams now that have zero % chance of the playoffs.  Sabres were lucky to get in on this EARLY, eh?   ;)

Philly *and* Mor-ray-all made it in with 88 in 2009, and there have been a handful of 91s and 92s in the last 12 years, but Dallas missed with 95 in 2011. 93 is an average that's a decent predictor but not set in stone. Boston is sitting in 8th right now with 86, and should end up right around 92-93 points if they keep the same pace. St Louis is at 88 with 7 games to play, so they'll likely be above 93.

BTW, we should all be rooting for Tampa, the Fishers, and (ick) Boston if we want Toronto eliminated. :)

Philly *and* Mor-ray-all made it in with 88 in 2009, and there have been a handful of 91s and 92s in the last 12 years, but Dallas missed with 95 in 2011. 93 is an average that's a decent predictor but not set in stone. Boston is sitting in 8th right now with 86, and should end up right around 92-93 points if they keep the same pace. St Louis is at 88 with 7 games to play, so they'll likely be above 93.

BTW, we should all be rooting for Tampa, the Fishers, and (ick) Boston if we want Toronto eliminated. :)

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't do enough research.  

I think I hate Boston more than the Leafs. 

No worries! I remember the 2009 playoff bubble race being wacky. Philly and NYR tied and it came down the last game of the season head-to-head, win and playoffs, lose and golf. The game went to OT and NYR sandbagged it figuring Lundqvist would win a shootout over whoever the Flyers had. Whoops. I remember it because it was a day game and I was in my yard digging up the garden listening to the game. Due to the tie breaker, Philly was #7; either out or the #7 seed can't happen too often either.

Everyone should hate Boston more. Hell, I hate Boston more than ISIS. Sure they're religious zealots that kill innocent people and subscribe to a perverted version of their faith, but the other side is freaking Boston. Yuck.

Sabres need 5 of the remaining 8 points to match last year's 81 points. Over a full season, that's a 102-point pace.

Also, Colorado's Max Points right now is 51. That's terrible on a level we can't even fathom.

2013–14 82 21 51 10 52           2014–15 82 23 51 8 54

Oh, we can fathom it alright...

Edited by Thwomp!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.