Hammy: Eichel's outburst was 'staged'

PASabreFan

Paul Hamilton on the pregame show tonight on WGR said he spoke with two former NHL players who believe Jack Eichel's postgame outburst had to be staged, because otherwise it would have happened before the media got in the room. Logic a little shaky, but Paul said he has come to agree with that opinion, saying he had initially fallen for Jack's act.

Staged for what purpose?

What do we have in Jack's recent behavior (disciplined for something and held off the first power play of a game; cursing in the background after another game; the outburst in the lockerroom; and pointed comments to the media)? Ink blot test for sure. What do you see?

Paul Hamilton on the pregame show tonight on WGR said he spoke with two former NHL players who believe Jack Eichel's postgame outburst had to be staged, because otherwise it would have happened before the media got in the room. Logic a little shaky, but Paul said he has come to agree with that opinion, saying he had initially fallen for Jack's act.

Staged for what purpose?

What do we have in Jack's recent behavior (disciplined for something and held off the first power play of a game; cursing in the background after another game; the outburst in the lockerroom; and pointed comments to the media)? Ink blot test for sure. What do you see?

Would those former players be Rivet and Peters?

And he smashed his stick on the goal posts at the end of two recent games, both in full view of the cameras/media, and I don't think the anger was any less honest/potent because of that, either.

I suppose it's what exactly is meant by "staged". Doing it in plain view of others on purpose? Makes sense. It would be hokey if Eichel was literally staging it all, i.e. He was laughing beforehand and proceeded to step into Christian Bale mode for the media, in some sort of elaborate set up. But I highly doubt that's the case.

Edited by Thorny

So he wanted the media to know he was furious. So what?

Bone can suck it on this one.

What if his "sources" are Rivet and Peters as speculated? Are they Sabre employees? Do the Sabres produce the show? Are Peters and Rivet trying to send a message to Eichel that his antics aren't professional? Are they souring on Eichel? Is Hamilton? There could be nothing here, there could be lots of intrigue. It could just be a frustrated young player who's miserable with losing or it could be future franchise player being miserable with being here period. Or being here with this coach.

I'm not speculating or anything.

What if his "sources" are Rivet and Peters as speculated? Are they Sabre employees? Do the Sabres produce the show? Are Peters and Rivet trying to send a message to Eichel that his antics aren't professional? Are they souring on Eichel? Is Hamilton? There could be nothing here, there could be lots of intrigue. It could just be a frustrated young player who's miserable with losing or it could be future franchise player being miserable with being here period. Or being here with this coach.

I'm not speculating or anything.

I think it's fair to infer that those two bright lights were Hamilton's "sources." What a media-churned tempest in a teapot.

Rivet and Peters can go take a flying leap. I don't listen to the show very often, but I know for sure that I value the takes of Petey not at all. I have strong opinions on that fella. I'm not sure what Hamilton's angle is -- he can be good with insight, but giving that story any traction seems like a waste of time, and the sort of muckraking/narrative invention that can give media types a bad name. 

As for your three posited scenarios -- miserable with losing, miserable in Buffalo, miserable being with this coach -- I think those permutations are certain, unfounded and very unlikely, and possible, in that order.

I never saw it discussed here: There was some E(5) noise out there that Eichel allegedly told Vesey to avoid Blysma, if he knew what was good for him (Vesey). That is possibly 100% baloney, invented from whole cloth. But I think there's quite possibly truth to Eichel not liking the way Bylsma coaches this team. 

I think it's fair to infer that those two bright lights were Hamilton's "sources." What a media-churned tempest in a teapot.

Rivet and Peters can go take a flying leap. I don't listen to the show very often, but I know for sure that I value the takes of Petey not at all. I have strong opinions on that fella. I'm not sure what Hamilton's angle is -- he can be good with insight, but giving that story any traction seems like a waste of time, and the sort of muckraking/narrative invention that can give media types a bad name. 

As for your three posited scenarios -- miserable with losing, miserable in Buffalo, miserable being with this coach -- I think those permutations are certain, unfounded and very unlikely, and possible, in that order.

I never saw it discussed here: There was some E(5) noise out there that Eichel allegedly told Vesey to avoid Blysma, if he knew what was good for him (Vesey). That is possibly 100% baloney, invented from whole cloth. But I think there's quite possibly truth to Eichel not liking the way Bylsma coaches this team. 

What steaming pile that is. There is no way that is true.

This is how I feel about this topic.

It's also reported that the only player in the locker room at the time of Jack's outburst was Lehner who was being interviewed by the press at the time. Not implying anything in particular but who really knows what was going thru the kids mind when it happened but 99% of the time the conjecture surrounding this type of thing is usually WRONG.

What steaming pile that is. There is no way that is true.

This is how I feel about this topic.

This reaction is a little bizarre considering that Smell was incredibly careful to qualify his statement as pure speculation. But it is enjoyable seeing your feathers get ruffled every time someone is mean to poor old Bylsma, who has a Stanley Cup after all!

This reaction is a little bizarre considering that Smell was incredibly careful to qualify his statement as pure speculation. But it is enjoyable seeing your feathers get ruffled every time someone is mean to poor old Bylsma, who has a Stanley Cup after all!

I just thought it was funny.

I just find it interesting that people are blinded by their misguided hate so much that they could even find it plausible. A teenager after his first year has this wealth of knowledge about NHL coaches enough to sacrifice playing with someone he knows could help the team in order to protect that player from the big bad meanie Bylsma?

C'mon.

This reaction is a little bizarre considering that Smell was incredibly careful to qualify his statement as pure speculation. 

Fwiw, I didn't take the clip (had to re-listen three times!) as being directed to me, so much as to the person who floated the rumour (and I'm not sure who that was).

I just find it interesting that people are blinded by their misguided hate so much that they could even find it plausible. A teenager after his first year has this wealth of knowledge about NHL coaches enough to sacrifice playing with someone he knows could help the team in order to protect that player from the big bad meanie Bylsma?

What people?

In any case, I didn't cite the rumour because of any kind of hate, misguided or not. I cited it because it seemed like there could be a kernel of truth in it, i.e., that Eichel dislikes the stretch pass, chip and chase system that Bylsma uses -- that Eichel, who's young but has played hockey coached by presumably smart coaches (USA Hockey, BU), might think that Bylsma's system is antiquated and is wasting his and teammates' talents.

I'm sure Eichel stumped for Vesey to join him in Buffalo, as best he could. But might Eichel have also given Vesey an honest appraisal of Bylsma as a coach? He might have. It would have been the honest appraisal of a 19 year-old elite prospect, for whatever that's worth (maybe a lot?). And, if he did give an honest appraisal, might it have reflected negatively on Bylsma? It might have. I think maybe it would have, were it given.

I just thought it was funny.

C'mon.

Jack is wise beyond his years. :P 

I totally agree that it's likely he likes/is fine with Dan, who is a player's coach from what I've heard. That's where I'd bet my money, at least. But the idea that a star player doesn't like his coach isn't wild and totally unheard of. Crosby just last year, for example. I'm pretty sure the Penguins players were done with our very own Dan Bylsma too, by the end, but I have to go somewhere and can't look into that to verify/get details until later. It probably happens with every coach eventually.  

I think the posters with misguided hate who will find anything to build on that hatred don't exist on this board, though. I think this board is reasonable, realistic, and rational. 

I should have used an emoji for the second part of my last post, because I was just ribbing ya. 

FIRE DAN BYLSMA 

Staged for what purpose?

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Fwiw, I didn't take the clip (had to re-listen three times!) as being directed to me, so much as to the person who floated the rumour (and I'm not sure who that was).

What people?

In any case, I didn't cite the rumour because of any kind of hate, misguided or not. I cited it because it seemed like there could be a kernel of truth in it, i.e., that Eichel dislikes the stretch pass, chip and chase system that Bylsma uses -- that Eichel, who's young but has played hockey coached by presumably smart coaches (USA Hockey, BU), might think that Bylsma's system is antiquated and is wasting his and teammates' talents.

I'm sure Eichel stumped for Vesey to join him in Buffalo, as best he could. But might Eichel have also given Vesey an honest appraisal of Bylsma as a coach? He might have. It would have been the honest appraisal of a 19 year-old elite prospect, for whatever that's worth (maybe a lot?). And, if he did give an honest appraisal, might it have reflected negatively on Bylsma? It might have. I think maybe it would have, were it given.

And this appraisal may have happened just in casual friendly conversation. Remember, Jack and Vesey were friends well before the Sabres acquired his rights, well before anyone knew he'd be a UFA for that matter.

One of the two players mentioned maybe Marty Biron. He was on GR this AM was asked about what Eichel did and he was not a big fan.

Right - there's Marty too.

I'm at a loss over why they're still talking about it. I guess it's because they all talk for a living.

I may be wrong - may be blinded by my desire for Jack to be(come) The Man - but I don't care for this line of talk. A young player with eilte talent had what amounts to a tantrum because he hates losing. I don't see the point of belabouring the matter -- unless, of course, the point is to keep people listening, calling in, clicking through.

Hammy's eventual conclusion seems to be based on Eichel's delayed reaction that may have been timed to media presence. He's been around a long time and seen a lot of lockerroom drama, so I think his opinion carries weight. Maybe there's a suspicion that there's more to the story than a tantrum about losing. I'm thinking player revolt against the coach.

Hammy's eventual conclusion seems to be based on Eichel's delayed reaction that may have been timed to media presence. He's been around a long time and seen a lot of lockerroom drama, so I think his opinion carries weight. Maybe there's a suspicion that there's more to the story than a tantrum about losing. I'm thinking player revolt against the coach.

Troll much???

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.