2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

That's fair.  But I want the guy the Sabres think will turn into the best player.  Period.  Make some trades, sign some free agents to shore up the D. 

It wasn't long ago this franchise had the most depth on D.  It was starving for scoring forwards and centremen.  Teams needs change all the time.  Take the best player because whoever is chosen at 8th needs to be an impact player in 3 years, whether it's D or F.

I think the most likely scenario in this draft will be that the BPA at #8 is going to be a defender. Unless Makar, Heiskanen, and Liljegren are all gone at #8 and then a forward most assuredly slid and we should take the forward. 

There's a chance Pettersson slides into that top 7 or even maybe a Necas.  This draft is a cluster of talent between picks #3 and easily #12. 

I think the most likely scenario in this draft will be that the BPA at #8 is going to be a defender. Unless Makar, Heiskanen, and Liljegren are all gone at #8 and then a forward most assuredly slid and we should take the forward.

There's a chance Pettersson slides into that top 7 or even maybe a Necas. This draft is a cluster of talent between picks #3 and easily #12.

And that's fine. Any of those 3 seem to be worthy of the pick. Just don't want to pass on someone with more upside because we have to take a d.

Then good. I'm obviously stating that the focus for #8 will be defense. If you or any other fan considers that player BPA then wonderful lol.

I think my issue is this idea that there is this 1 player who will be the best available. In 2015 yes. McDavid gone so the next best is Eichel hands down. At #8 in this draft, pick your poison.  It is so clustered. 

I think my issue is this idea that there is this 1 player who will be the best available. In 2015 yes. McDavid gone so the next best is Eichel hands down. At #8 in this draft, pick your poison. It is so clustered.

True agreed. BPA at #8 will be GM discretion for sure.

I don't see any D in this draft that will provide a huge contribution within the next two years.  If we still have a big need in 2 years then we're already in trouble.

We will need D in 2 years. Where else are we going to get a top pair D man?

All we have heard is that this expansion period will present the best chance to trade for players that wouldn't normally be available. If we are unable to acquire a solid D man through trade even now, I don't have much optimism about being able to do so later.

I don't see any D in this draft that will provide a huge contribution within the next two years. If we still have a big need in 2 years then we're already in trouble.

The problem is that this can be said of any defenseman drafted. They aren't likely going to make a meaning contribution with the next 2 years, but this isn't a reason to ignore drafting them high. Maybe GMTM had that on his mind when he didn't draft defense last year.

I think Arizona's board looks very much like Canucksarmy's. They just posted Liljegrin at 6. If my finger counting is correct, Liljegren is CA's highest rated defenseman. If Liljegren is gone before 7, I'm guessing they go Pettersson or Suzuki, the latter being well off the consensus.

It's the eye-test people that like Makar, Vancouver, probably Vegas, New Jersey even, though I would think they would slide back to do it.

Colorado I could see taking Makar too. I wonder if a player like Suzuki or Tippett though really does it for Arizona. Both have the stats that Chayka might like. Suzuki with that late 99 birthday and all those points is gotta be in Arizona's top 10.

Vancouver taking Pettersson or Liljegren makes sense to me. Vegas I think takes Glass. They really need a center. Idk anyway I slice it, I can't help but get at least 1 of those 3 defenders to #8. It also forces Dallas to take a defender, but they could do anything at #3.

Edited by LGR4GM

Only 2 of Mittlestadts assists in the USHL came as primary assists. Over 2/3 of his production came on the PP. I think that might drop him on my list now that I know that.

Wow, that's a very interesting stat. As someone already leaning heavily towards D, this steers me further from Mittlestadt.

I think if available at #8, Liljegren is probably the best player.

Agreed. From many mocks though, and the conversation here, it could be that all 3 of Makar, Heiskanen and Liljegren are gone at 8. What do we do? I trade down for Valimaki.

Wow, that's a very interesting stat. As someone already leaning heavily towards D, this steers me further from Mittlestadt.

Agreed. From many mocks though, and the conversation here, it could be that all 3 of Makar, Heiskanen and Liljegren are gone at 8. What do we do? I trade down for Valimaki.

I know it happened last year but what are the odds that 3 d go in the top 7? Not very often from a mathematical standpoint I don't think. 2012 was like all d but that doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

Thorny, I'm right there with you. If we don't get get one of top 3, trade down and get Valimaki. I think this kid is somwhow being overlooked. He dominated in the WHL last year. He also has size and speed. Something the guys in front of him lack.

That said, if Jbot fixes the D with some younger guys, like a Brodin for example, then I'm willing to look at another LW at 8. That said I like Vesalainen and would trade down to get him also.

Thorny, I'm right there with you. If we don't get get one of top 3, trade down and get Valimaki. I think this kid is somwhow being overlooked. He dominated in the WHL last year. He also has size and speed. Something the guys in front of him lack.

I like Valimaki as well. Defends poorly, essp one on one battles, opponents go wide on him with ease and he doesn't have the best feet. But those #'s he had in the WHL are hard to over look. Kid can play, but to determine how good he is will all depend on how much he improves with skating/foot work.

This is the most difficult draft to mock.

My feeling right now is that Llijegren isn`t going in top 10.

Initial Mock Draft. 

I think there are going to be trades so im just going to do order of the draft

Feel fairly confident in the top 4 and the order

1) Hischier 

2) Patrick

3) Heiskanen

4) Vilardi

Now its just guess work

5) Glass

6) Mittelstandt

7) Makar

8) Tippett Buffalo at this time but still hope they move up to 6th

9) Pettersson

10) Kostin

for the record i think Liljegren goes between 12-15.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.