2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Could you give us a top 8 list, if Colorado took Makar? Thanks in advance.

The great 8 for this draft? It is a little different then 2013 when the Magnificent 7 was all but guaranteed (we should all thank Edmonton for being dumb and taking Darnelle Nurse). This draft is a little more fluid. The great 8 is not as firm. Who can I guarantee go in the top 8? 

Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi, Glass, and Heiskanen are all going in the top 8. That is 5 I feel confident will go. I think Liljegren has a good chance and Makar and Mittlestadt have a good chance. That would be my personal top 8.

Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi, Glass, Heiskanen, Liljegren, Makar, Mittlestadt. My top 8 in no particular order. I would say Tippett, Rasmussen and Pettersson all could slide into that top 8 but Tippett would be the most likely, depends on how teams feel about his defensive game. 

My perfect Draft for Buffalo right now for rounds 1-3

#8 - Liljegren RHD / Heiskanen LHD

#38 - Jukiharju RHD / Frost LHC / Mismash LW

#54 - Reedy RHC / Farrance LHD

#68 - Tyszka LHD / Safin RW 

#78 - Brook RHD / Ikonen RHC (trade #89 + #99 for this pick)

There is a ton of defensive depth in this draft IMPO. 

In the perfect draft we walk away with Heiskanen or Liljegren, Jukiharju, Reedy, Farrance, and Ikonen. 

I am quoting myself because I keep coming back to these hopeful things and thinking through them. I also get new info from guides and a few videos I find so you know, updating things. What am I updating today? This #68 - Tyszka LHD / Safin RW / Phillips LHD

At #68 I want Markus Phillips, 6' 207lb LHD, born in late March 99. I originally had him in that #78 slot but took him out because of a recency bias. He screwed the pooch big time in a game and I was down on him. I thought about that a bit. Then I went out and read all the stuff I could find on him. I think in the 3rd, Arizona could take him. He is Cam Dineen of this years daft IMPO.

The thing I like is everyone talks about his improvement over the course of the last 2 years. He consistently gets better. That is really important and great to see. He skates really well (fast, quick, agile) and he loves playing offense. Known to make some bad puck decisions and also to make some wow passes so little risky. He was 4th in the OHL for draft eligible defensemen scoring. He has been on the Canadian Junior team the last 2 years so they see something in him. He projects to be a 2nd pairing top 4 guy. If he is there at #68, definitely worth taking the chance and using that #68 pick on him.  

Edited by LGR4GM

If we were guaranteed one of Makar or Mittelstadt when Arizona's turn comes up, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

seems likely. If not we would be guaranteed one of Glass or Vilardi or Mittlestadt. If Colorado takes Makar, that means Vilardi slides. I think Vegas is taking Glass if he is available. So that means Arizona has the choice of Mittlestadt or Vilardi at #7. Or they could go off book. The real fun part is if Dallas takes Heiskanen and then Colorado takes Liljegren. Does Vancouver take Makar? 

seems likely. If not we would be guaranteed one of Glass or Vilardi or Mittlestadt. If Colorado takes Makar, that means Vilardi slides. I think Vegas is taking Glass if he is available. So that means Arizona has the choice of Mittlestadt or Vilardi at #7. Or they could go off book. The real fun part is if Dallas takes Heiskanen and then Colorado takes Liljegren. Does Vancouver take Makar? 

Where does the Liljegren rumor come from? Because I was under the impression that it was likely he'd fall, so we wouldn't get any of those guys and would be picking between Liljegren/Tippett/Brannstrom/Petersson or whoever

Where does the Liljegren rumor come from? Because I was under the impression that it was likely he'd fall, so we wouldn't get any of those guys and would be picking between Liljegren/Tippett/Brannstrom/Petersson or whoever

Saw it reported somewhere, can't find the quote right now which annoys me. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Saw it reported somewhere, can't find the quote right now which annoys me. 

And there are persistent rumours that Timothy Liljegren sits atop Jim Benning’s draft list. - See more at: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/do-these-playoffs-show-a-path-forward-for-the-canucks-1.19915650#sthash.LUHmWBuE.dpuf

did I miss something? thought Makar was higher rated then 7 or 8?

He is ranked anywhere from #5 - #10 

And there are persistent rumours that Timothy Liljegren sits atop Jim Benning’s draft list. - See more at: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/do-these-playoffs-show-a-path-forward-for-the-canucks-1.19915650#sthash.LUHmWBuE.dpuf

He is ranked anywhere from #5 - #10 

thought Makar was ranked higher...I'd love to get him. also, Vancouver sure is a mess...absolutely awful and not much ion the way of prospects. and of course those twins making far too much now. yikes

Edited by Sabre fan

thought Makar was ranked higher...I'd love to get him. also, Vancouver sure is a mess...absolutely awful and not much ion the way of prospects. and of course those twins making far too much now. yikes

Found more on Vancouver... apparently there are also strong possibilities that Vancouver takes Mittlestadt https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/29/3-players-the-vancouver-canucks-could-select-5th-overall/

Vancouver has 1 of 2 options. They can draft another defender in the first round which I think would be a mistake if they have access to Glass or Mittlestadt. They need a center in that pipeline bad and as some have mentioned (posters, writers, even gm's) you can get top pairing defenders in the 2nd round. It isn't that crazy. Vancouver has need for forwards in their pipeline but Liljegren would be the perfect fit to Olli Juolevi. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Vancouver is in serious need of a rebuild and down the middle is where you would likely start so that makes sense. makes you wonder how they keep their jobs there in Vancouver after some really bad seasons. coach always takes the blame I guess...

Vancouver is in serious need of a rebuild and down the middle is where you would likely start so that makes sense. makes you wonder how they keep their jobs there in Vancouver after some really bad seasons. coach always takes the blame I guess...

If I were Vancouver, I would take Glass and then Mittlestadt. That would be how I view them. They draft again at #33 and there will be potential top 4 defenders there for sure. 

Man now you guys got me digging into each teams list of players and seeing who they have recently drafted.

Mocking it up again! I am just running ideas seeing what looks good.

New Jersey: Patrick

Philadelphia: Hischier

Dallas: Heiskanen

Colorado: Makar

Vancouver: Glass

Vegas: Mittlestadt

Arizona: Vilardi

Buffalo: Liljegren

Alright in this scenario I change things up. I think Colorado could go defense. I shied them away from Liljegren because I think they will like Makar better. They could also go off the reservation and take Foote because of the Colorado ties. Crazier things have happened at the draft (I'm looking at you Boston and your taking of Zachary Senyshyn). Vancouver takes Glass because they need a center and he would be the best available, they could take Mittlestadt there though. Vegas takes whichever center is left. In this mock they get Mittlestadt which might work great for them because it will take 2-3 years to build anything and then you can bring in Mittlestadt and bam! Team. Arizona could take Liljegren but looking at their recent picks I don't think they would. Vilardi makes sense here or they go with a guy like Tippett because he is probably the best goal scorer in the draft. 

The problem with this draft is how fluid the players are between 3 and 9 or so. They could easily be mixed around. You also have some eruo forwards that could sneak in. Really hard draft to predict and I would predict at least 1 surprise in that top 8. Someone we aren't really talking about but a team is high on. 

The more I read on Colorado the more I wonder what they do if Heiskanen is gone (I think he will be but crazy stuff happens). I just read a fascinating story from a Colorado blogger that had Liljegren slip to the 2nd round... which isn't happening. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Rakish, where are you on Filip Chytil. He's so young for this draft yet spent all of last season playing in the Czech pr league. 

For those curious he is a 6'2" 192lb 17 year old who dropped 50pts in 30games last season in the U18 league and so he moved up to the pro team where he had only 8 pts in 38games. But he was 17 playing against men. Also I am just catching up on him and I am falling in love. Guy passing the eye test hard. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Is there any chance of Patrick slipping out of the top two?

And isn't Hirschier a tad underrated? Looks pretty complete to me, or do the scouts see him as Elias Lindholm?

I mean, if one of the top 2 teams was drunk he could slide or they seriously believe his groan tears will limit is future playing. Is Hischier underrated in terms of being more elite (Matthews, Laine) then they give him credit for? I mean I would say no. He's really good, maybe better then Reinhart and probably better then Elias Lindholm. He is complete but he isn't elite (currently not elite, doesn't mean he can't become elite). 

Is there any chance of Patrick slipping out of the top two?

And isn't Hirschier a tad underrated? Looks pretty complete to me, or do the scouts see him as Elias Lindholm?

I think there is a very good chance Patrick slips in this draft.  He reminds me of Patrik Stefan.  Tons of talent, but tons of injuries.

I'd take Nico in a second over Patrick and never give it a second thought.  

Oh by the way, McKeen's dropped Liljigren down to 20th in their latest rankings.  https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-2017-nhl-draft-rankings-top-31-31st-2017/

Edited by GASabresFan

I think there is a very good chance Patrick slips in this draft.  He reminds me of Patrik Stefan.  Tons of talent, but tons of injuries.

I'd take Nico in a second over Patrick and never give it a second thought.  

If Patrick slips to 8, do you bite?

Bite? I might bite everyone between me and the podium as I kick and push people out of the way in my rush to draft him. MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY!!!

I posted earlier in the thread that I would.  To much talent there not to take him at that point assuming he gets a decent medical review.  However, I'm passing Patrick at 1st overall with Nico sitting there.

Yeah, if he slips, I don't think he gets any further than 5th or 6th.     If he's there at 8, I might try to trade out of that spot to somebody desperate for a center. 

Yeah, if he slips, I don't think he gets any further than 5th or 6th.     If he's there at 8, I might try to trade out of that spot to somebody desperate for a center. 

If he is there at 8 you have to take him. You most assuredly don't trade down. He won't be there past 3 and I would highly doubt past 2. 

Just looking at Chytil this morning. The model doesn't like him at all. I looked at all Czech players at age 17. I looked at all Czech-18 players at 16, couldn't see where the program was obviously wrong. Canucks Army likes him more than me, but they didn't sell me either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.