Goaltending - Hidden Strength or Problem Waiting to Surface.

GASabresIUFAN

I was really impressed with Lehner last night. I know he wasn't overly challenged, but his movement, ability to square to the shooter all looked better.

I think he understands that this year is his make or brake year in the NHL as his bridge deal expires. If he wants no. 1 goalie money he needs to play at an all-star level this year to convince GMTM to lock him up long-term.

His off-season conditioning and weight loss was the first step to making goaltending one of our strengths. Only injury or really bad play in front of him could derail him at this point.

If he puts in the year I think he can, I may get over being pissed about giving up a 1st rd pick to get him.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I'm cautiously optimistic about our goalie situation. I think Lehner has the raw talent to be our starter. I just hope the changes he made to his training allow him to be less injury prone. I have hope. It seems like he's done the right things and the early results are good.

I think we've got enough okay prospects in the system that if Nilsson has to start for a while we'll be okay. I'm hoping for a productive year from our prospects. It would be nice to see someone break out in the A or elsewhere.

Lehner is fine as long as he stays healthy. And even if he doesn't I would not be surprised if another goalie suddenly came along and played well. Goalies seem to be a position that are generally easy to fill. Not always, but seems there is an abundance of goalies out there 

I think goaltending just isn't as critical as it used to be due to the improvement in team defense and the way the game is called by the zebras. Every year there seem to be 10 guys putting up Hasek like numbers and it feels like the majority of goals come from crashing the net and getting rebounds and deflections that the goalie loses in traffic anyway. There are a few stud goalies (Lundqvist, Price, etc.) but the top tier guys earn a fortune so you're usually better off getting an average/decent keeper and spending the cap space elsewhere.

It's too bad the NHL is not ready to implement the new goalie equipment standards.... or are they?

IMO, this will help bigger, heftier goalies like Lehner who will use the large size gear anyway (chest protector/pants) vs skinnier goalies like Miller, Bishop who will need to drop a few sizes.    

I was really looking forward to watching goalies make more athletic reactionary saves vs passive positional saves, but I suppose we'll have to wait a bit longer.

That said, I like BUF's goalie situation, Lehner looks good so far, and I'm pleasantly surprised by Nilsson's performance.    

I think goaltending just isn't as critical as it used to be due to the improvement in team defense and the way the game is called by the zebras. Every year there seem to be 10 guys putting up Hasek like numbers and it feels like the majority of goals come from crashing the net and getting rebounds and deflections that the goalie loses in traffic anyway. There are a few stud goalies (Lundqvist, Price, etc.) but the top tier guys earn a fortune so you're usually better off getting an average/decent keeper and spending the cap space elsewhere.

Of course if one Sabres develop turns into a price, pay em but yeh I agree. Sabres need a D and a pure scorer. Hopefully Nylander is one answer and Nelson, Falk, Guhle and Borgen are able to keep developing. Really liking the addition of Falk.

Edited by North Buffalo

Of course if one you develop turns into a price, pay em but yeh I agree. Sabres need a D and a pure scorer. Hopefully Nylander is one answer and Nelson, Falk, Guhle and Borgen are able to keep developing. Really liking the addition of Falk.

Yeah, if a true stud develops in your system you should definitely keep them but I would never sell the farm for one and would prefer to build up the defensive and forward ranks instead. 10 guys put up Hasek like numbers every year but it's usually different guys, outside of the few elite ones. Hell, even during the tank we were getting solid goaltending from seemingly everyone and I was half expecting Irbe to get the key to the city. When all your coach teaches is "compete" and Alamo mode and collapsing in front of the net though, your goalie is bound to put up a decent save percentage when facing 40 shots a night.

Yeah, if a true stud develops in your system you should definitely keep them but I would never sell the farm for one and would prefer to build up the defensive and forward ranks instead. 10 guys put up Hasek like numbers every year but it's usually different guys, outside of the few elite ones. Hell, even during the tank we were getting solid goaltending from seemingly everyone and I was half expecting Irbe to get the key to the city. When all your coach teaches is "compete" and Alamo mode and collapsing in front of the net though, your goalie is bound to put up a decent save percentage when facing 40 shots a night.

Yeh agree

So true! 

I'm not sure what training a goalie can do to prevent a concussion from happening again.  I liked the way Lehner was moving last night and I like a goaltender with attitude - he's got that in spades.  He seems dedicated and when coupled with natural size that's a nice combination. 

Out of shape Lehner showed flashes last year.

Definitely looking forward to watching him healthy & focused this year.

D is still waaaaay too thin but between the forwards & Lehner this should be a playoff team.

My worry is Lehner could look worse than he should, if the D isn't up to par in front of him. He may not be getting adequate help back there on some nights. I think it's something we should collectively keep in mind when analyzing his game this year.

My worry is Lehner could look worse than he should, if the D isn't up to par in front of him. He may not be getting adequate help back there on some nights. I think it's something we should collectively keep in mind when analyzing his game this year.

You can't have it both ways, but we will try.

I can see a scenario where people will agree the defence is awful, Lehners numbers will be good, but people will still blame Lehner,

I think he's already looked pretty good behind Falk, Austin, Burgdoerfer and friends.

I do think some people will be quick to jump on Lehner if the defence has too many bad nights because that's what fans do with goalies.

And a large portion of the fan base has a need to justify the narrative that we overpaid.

Lehner is going to fool people this year because he will make it look easy and they willl call the .924 save percentage a mirage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.