Kim Pegula - Interview on Women and the NFL

LGR4GM

WC's question was a good and thought-provoking one. It could have been posed about a male spouse of a female multibillionaire. The conversation could have been a good one. It didn't have to have charges of sexism. People are seeing in it what they want to.

It wasn't thought provoking. And you bringing the meddling debate back into it isn't provoking any more thoughts.

Neo will like this. Let the market decide. Stop purchasing the thread's content. Go follow the Vesey talk.

I DO like it. I'd add only that you don't have to let markets do anything. You can only prevent them from doing what they'd like to.

I enjoy KP's involvement and have no quarrel regarding the roles she does and does not play. However they make choices, it seems to work for them. Opinion: I'm sorta proud our teams have ownership comprised of two faces in industries dominated by single faces.

Mrs. Neo and I earn different amounts of money. We live in our house.

You're the one who threw the "offensive and sexist" bomb, sir. WC did not deserve that.

Throwing a bomb implies doing something gratuitously. Not so. I called it like I saw it.

Setting aside what people might "deserve" (I'm not a big believer in people getting what they deserve (because we'd all be in trouble if we got that)), I think the posts above got warranted responses from me.

I DO like it. I'd add only that you don't have to let markets do anything. You can only prevent them from doing what they'd like to.

I enjoy KP's involvement and have no quarrel regarding the roles she does and does not play. However they make choices, it seems to work for them. Opinion: I'm sorta proud our teams have ownership comprised of two faces in industries dominated by single faces.

Mrs. Neo and I earn different amounts of money. We live in our house.

If you're the one who makes more money, and you ever tried to claim ownership to a higher percentage...how long do you think you'd be allowed to live in said house? :p

Blah blah blah blah blah Nazis blah blah blah blah 

Doesn't count

Anyways, I think that Kim Pegula should continue to champion more women in pro football. The league has major issues with domestic violence and more women maybe teaching these guys how to actually talk to women will help.  

Oh, dear Lord.

Thank you, but that is hardly necessary. "PA" will do.

Throwing a bomb implies doing something gratuitously. Not so. I called it like I saw it.

Setting aside what people might "deserve" (I'm not a big believer in people getting what they deserve (because we'd all be in trouble if we got that)), I think the posts above got warranted responses from me.

You kinda had the pin out on that one, wouldn't you say?

It wasn't thought provoking. And you bringing the meddling debate back into it isn't provoking any more thoughts.

It provoked my thought. I can only speak for myself. Meddling is the whole point of the Kim Pegula quote. She is smart enough to know she is not experienced enough to jump into the football side of things right away. The contrast with her husband's approach is fair game.

But why does it matter how she got there? As you say, why don't other women do what she doing? She's pushing involvement more than all but a select few women ever have in an amazingly male-dominated arena. That's the very definition of being a trail blazer.

I think everything matters how you got there. 

I didn't ask. I just like the question.

I think you can tell from this thread who's attached to a ball and chain and who's uncontaminated.

I guess dissenting opinions be damned

I think we've finally come around to the nub of it. Maybe WC's question should have been what did she do to earn the title of active and involved owner? I'm not a fan of sports owners doing anything along those lines. (Surprise!) Buy the team, hire good people and get out of the way. I know that's naive, because I know the wealthy buy teams to be their play things, to play fantasy GM and coach. When it's a "fan" buying "his" team -- sorry, "fans" buying "their teams -- my argument is even stronger. They should want to do what most logically will lead to success on the ice/field. And noobies making decisions is illogical.

Let's follow this to its logical conclusion. I win the Powerball and, as longtime fan of movies, I buy a major studio. (It was a yuge Powerball.) Am I entitled to run the studio? Have I somehow "earned" that right? Is it smart for me to run the studio?

That's what I'm asking. 

You're the one who threw the "offensive and sexist" bomb, sir. WC did not deserve that.

Neo will like this. Let the market decide. Stop purchasing the thread's content. Go follow the Vesey talk.

Seriously, how is this even remotely sexist? I'd ask the same question if it was a man 

Oh please. Nothing Aud said was out of line.

I'd rather a mod nuke the thread. It embarasses me a little bit to have it on the front page.

WC's question was a good and thought-provoking one. It could have been posed about a male spouse of a female multibillionaire. The conversation could have been a good one. It didn't have to have charges of sexism. People are seeing in it what they want to.

Thank you. 

How? I ask a question and most (but True and PA) respond with 'oh lord, this is sexist'

It provoked my thought. I can only speak for myself. Meddling is the whole point of the Kim Pegula quote. She is smart enough to know she is not experienced enough to jump into the football side of things right away. The contrast with her husband's approach is fair game.

No joke, I as going to start a thread about this soon actually, ever since the stadium name changed. Not about Kim herself, but on the appeal of Pegula. I've been a staunch supporter of him, but between paying for the draft, changing the stadium name, etc. I have not been a happy customer. At what point do we get mad at him? Sure he can spend money, and maybe he doesn't meddle, I don't know, but the things he is in charge of, like the aforementioned? I'm angry about

WC.

Your original question was what she'd done to earn the title of owner, and when people replied that she was one of the buyers, you rejoined with 'really? She bought the team?'

I took that to mean that *she* hadn't really bought the team -- Terry had. Because it was Terry's energy business, Terry's money. And what could his wife have done to merit inclusion in the purchase agreement?

Now you're saying a whole lot of other stuff. At least I think you are. Including a reboot of PA's meddling gripe (no thanks on that one).

WC.

Your original question was what she'd done to earn the title of owner, and when people replied that she was one of the buyers, you rejoined with 'really? She bought the team?'

I took that to mean that *she* hadn't really bought the team -- Terry had. Because it was Terry's energy business, Terry's money. And what could his wife have done to merit inclusion in the purchase agreement?

Now you're saying a whole lot of other stuff. At least I think you are. Including a reboot of PA's meddling gripe (no thanks on that one).

Am I? It's the same question; what has she done to earn the right of owner? Others have pointed to because she is married to him, close to him, and maybe she offered invaluable advice in his ear, or knows a lot about the business. I, personally, find this extremely hard to believe. 

The reboot on meddling is entirely my own gripe, and I was going to start a thread about it anyhow. I don't appreciate the charging of admission for the draft nor the stadium name change

Edited by WildCard

Am I? It's the same question; what has she done to earn the right of owner? Others have pointed to because she is married to him, close to him, and maybe she offered invaluable advice in his ear, or knows a lot about the business. I, personally, find this extremely hard to believe. 

I can't unpack this one fully. Punch out, Maverick.

Things that no one on Gods green earth should care about.

Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Lambo Field, Soldier Field, The Aud....these places have history and that name is directly tied to it. The guy dies less than 2 years ago, after donating millions to Buffalo, and a billionaire wants to cash in on a quick buck from it? That's absurd in my book

Edited by WildCard

Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Lambo Field, Soldier Field, The Aud....these places have history and that name is directly tied to it. The guy dies less than 2 years ago, after donating millions to Buffalo, and a billionaire wants to cash in on a quick buck from it? That's absurd in my book

The Ralph doesn't have the cache those other stadiums have. It's not iconic. It's a giant frat party stuck in a non-descript location with only sadness attached to it now.

I'll throw this into the fire. When they purchased the Bills, Terry and Kim did so as joint owners with right of survivorship. From a legal standpoint that means upon either owners death, the asset in this case the Bills, would pass to the other without being subject to the defendants estate or estate tax. Terry even said that he expected Kim to survive him due to age differences. So the fact that both own it equally and one of the owners expects the other to outlive him and be an integral part of the franchise longer after he is gone, it makes sense that she is involved. It also helps defuse any talk of the team moving in the near future. As to the central question, Terry and Kim's combined ability to write a $1.4B check makes them qualified to be owners. The 1.4 wasn't Terry's or Kim's it was marital property. They both decided to spend it on the Bills.

As to being mad at decisions made, your a fan, that accrues immediately. Whether your justified in thinking that your opinion matters to any owner, is where these arguments leave the rails. I have always maintained our opinions are our own and there is no fiduciary duty to anyone outside of shareholders and creditors. But that is just the way it is. You can get on the bus and get off anytime you want, but if you think you are going to influence the driver in any way I think is hubris.

The Ralph doesn't have the cache those other stadiums have. It's not iconic. It's a giant frat party stuck in a non-descript location with only sadness attached to it now.

It's iconic locally

I'll throw this into the fire. When they purchased the Bills, Terry and Kim did so as joint owners with right of survivorship. From a legal standpoint that means upon either owners death, the asset in this case the Bills, would pass to the other without being subject to the defendants estate or estate tax. Terry even said that he expected Kim to survive him due to age differences. So the fact that both own it equally and one of the owners expects the other to outlive him and be an integral part of the franchise longer after he is gone, it makes sense that she is involved. It also helps defuse any talk of the team moving in the near future. As to the central question, Terry and Kim's combined ability to write a $1.4B check makes them qualified to be owners. The 1.4 wasn't Terry's or Kim's it was marital property. They both decided to spend it on the Bills.

As to being mad at decisions made, your a fan, that accrues immediately. Whether your justified in thinking that your opinion matters to any owner, is where these arguments leave the rails. I have always maintained our opinions are our own and there is no fiduciary duty to anyone outside of shareholders and creditors. But that is just the way it is. You can get on the bus and get off anytime you want, but if you think you are going to influence the driver in any way I think is hubris.

A) I understand the need to pass the team on. If he wants to pass the team on to whomever, go for it. If he wants her to be part owner, I honestly don't care. I won't sit around and idolize it though

B) Really? He didn't have enough money to buy the Bills before he met her?

C) People pay taxes to this stadium and this team weather they like it or not

I feel like this is the equivalent of "I'm kind of a big deal"

Seems like just another place to puke and piss.

I laughed :lol:

I mean, the only reasons those other places are so iconic is their winning or, in the case of the Red Sox and Cubs, longevity and awesome fan base. Do we not have the latter with the Ralph?

It's iconic locally

A) I understand the need to pass the team on. If he wants to pass the team on to whomever, go for it. If he wants her to be part owner, I honestly don't care. I won't sit around and idolize it though

B) Really? He didn't have enough money to buy the Bills before he met her?

C) People pay taxes to this stadium and this team weather they like it or not

As to B), no way. He probably didn't have enough to comfortably buy the Bills until after he bought the Sabres and cashed in some more assets.

C.) is a good point. I've never liked the analogy that the Sabres, for example, are just a business and all the rules of business apply. They are a community institution and there's so much emotion and shared-ownership wrapped up in them. It's just different.

Edited by PASabreFan

As to B), no way. He probably didn't have enough to comfortably buy the Bills until he bought the Sabres and cashed in some more assets.

C.) is a good point. I've never liked the analogy that the Sabres, for example, are just a business and all the rules of business apply. They are a community institution and there's so much emotion and shared-ownership wrapped up in them. It's just different.

A/B) Really? Say he cashed in some assets prior to buying the Sabres, couldn't he have bought the Bills? 

C) Exactly

I laughed :lol:

I mean, the only reasons those other places are so iconic is their winning or, in the case of the Red Sox and Cubs, longevity and awesome fan base. Do we not have the latter with the Ralph?

Dedicated for sure but the scene at the frozen sombrero or whatever they are calling it now is disgusting.

A/B) Really? Say he cashed in some assets prior to buying the Sabres, couldn't he have bought the Bills? 

C) Exactly

I don't know. But you were asking about before he met Kim. He said he didn't have the money to buy the Sabres in 2002 and he had already known Kim for over 10 years probably. (Moot point, as he has admitted he didn't know the Sabres were for sale anyway.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.