Idea: Offer sheet Nikita Kucherov

Hoss

I just don't think it'd work--they'd match. I think the goal would have to be to make it so financially untenable that they are willing to deal Fowler at a reduced asking price. Which, yes, I am also on board with :)

why would they consider trading you fowler after you did that?

As I see it, the challenge with offer sheets isn't a future offer sheet in retaliation, it's that you might lose at least one trading partner for a while after you do it.  And, who knows, others might not want to trade with you because of their distaste for it.  Speculating, of course, but I think the stakes for Murray are high because the dude loves to trade, and risking a trading partner or partners over a player is a maybe a larger gamble than over-paying for a player or two.

I can buy that, but I do think that Murray would overpay for a player that he is in love with. He has shown that sometimes you have to overpay to get the player you want. And I think he respects the rules and would not consider it to be a situation where he is taking advantage of a team and losing a possible trade partner. Instead he is paying a premium for a player and giving up assets in draft picks. ..something I think he values. Once those all align, I expect him to offer sheet someone. And if he does. ..I expect it to be a big offer that he would win because zfg....go big or go home

I'm on board the offer sheet train but I'd rather go for Lindholm than Kucherov, especially when we still have a good chance to sign Vesey. I'd also rather wait until we extend Ristolainen, whether it's a 3 year bridge deal or locking him up for the next 8 seasons.

proven talent ready to enter his prime right now.. over a couple 1st rd picks in the future that may come of age another 4-6 years down the road..

This teamis ready to make huge strides immediately. A high quality LW is needed and vets on the market are ho hum

As I see it, the challenge with offer sheets isn't a future offer sheet in retaliation, it's that you might lose at least one trading partner for a while after you do it. And, who knows, others might not want to trade with you because of their distaste for it. Speculating, of course, but I think the stakes for Murray are high because the dude loves to trade, and risking a trading partner or partners over a player is a maybe a larger gamble than over-paying for a player or two.

It would hope an NHL GM wouldn't be so petty as to shy away from getting a player he really wants from a team just because the team offer sheeted him a few years back. That, plus we tried to trade for Fowler apparently and were rebuked anyhow. But, of course we have zero details about that potential trade and what really went down.

What kind of compensation would we have gotten from Edmonton if we didn't match their offer sheet for Vanek?

Four firsts, but before you say ZOMG!, Edmonton in 2007 was only a year removed from being in the SCF; those picks may well have ended up in the 20s with Vanek on the team and other moves made.

Four firsts, but before you say ZOMG!, Edmonton in 2007 was only a year removed from being in the SCF; those picks may well have ended up in the 20s with Vanek on the team and other moves made.

Would Vanek have made them that much better? It's all hindsight at this point. I'm sure there's a parallel universe in which Darcy let him go, took the compensation and won a Stanley Cup by now....and not related to hockey but in this same universe they'd have In-N-Out's on the East Coast and I'd be banging models.

What kind of compensation would we have gotten from Edmonton if we didn't match their offer sheet for Vanek?

4 1st round picks. Not a typo. 4.

Would Vanek have made them that much better? It's all hindsight at this point. I'm sure there's a parallel universe in which Darcy let him go, took the compensation and won a Stanley Cup by now....and not related to hockey but in this same universe they'd have In-N-Out's on the East Coast and I'd be banging models.

And it really doesn't matter if Vanek made them better or not. 4 1st round picks is a king's ransom, if it is the last pick in the 1st. However, Darcy still would've been picking them and we wouldn't have been able to keep them if they panned out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.