Expansion Protection

Trettioåtta

In Friedman's 30 thoughts, there was a GM quote that implied that since the NHL hates NMCs, they expect them to be required to take up a spot on the teams' lists of protected players. Eichel and Reinhart will be safe, and I think Ullmark will too, so I go:

Forwards

O'Reilly
Ennis

Kane

Larsson

Girgensons

Foligno

Player acquired between now and then via UFA/trade

Defensemen

Risto

Bogo

McCabe/Pysyk
(I'd hope for a Bogo trade and a better LHD to take Bogo's spot, then I'd pick whichever of Pysyk/McCabe develop better between now and then for the other spot)

Lehner as the protected goalie, obviously.

Sam, Jack, Guhle, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, and 2016 first round pick will all be protected.

Who do you think we could get for Bogo that wouldn't involve giving up someone that you would like to protect? I for one wouldn't mind Ennis in a package for someone, but would that be enough to get someone better than Bogo?

Forwards:

O'Reilly

Girgensons 

Ennis 

Deslauriers 

Foligno

Defense:

Risto 

Pysyk 

Bogo 

(the rest are meh in my opinion)

Goal:

Lehner 

(is there even a chance of loosing Johnson if Lehner protected?)

Same disclaimer about the young'uns being automatically protected. 

Edited by Ottosmagic13

Who do you think we could get for Bogo that wouldn't involve giving up someone that you would like to protect?

Forwards:

O'Reilly

Girgensons 

Ennis (although I wouldn't mind seeing him gone as a part of a blockbuster D trade) 

Deslauriers 

Foligno

Defense:

Risto 

Pysyk 

Bogo 

Goal:

Lehner 

I doubt it when there are tandems of Elliot/Allen, Gibson/Andersen, Bishop/Vasilevskiy etc

Come back next Summer on this topic, for its rumoured the league won't touch players with NMC, they won't count against the players you can protect.

Are you sure? This is the opposite of what I had read: teams can't expose players with a NMC and they count against the protected cap. If that's true, and a NTC is handled the same as a NMC, we'll not only have to protect Bogosian, but...Gorges. If that's how it works, I will pay a team to take Gorges.

Are you sure? This is the opposite of what I had read: teams can't expose players with a NMC and they count against the protected cap. If that's true, and a NTC is handled the same as a NMC, we'll not only have to protect Bogosian, but...Gorges. If that's how it works, I will pay a team to take Gorges.

Guess I read that differently then.

Who do you think we could get for Bogo that wouldn't involve giving up someone that you would like to protect? I for one wouldn't mind Ennis in a package for someone, but would that be enough to get someone better than Bogo?

Forwards:

O'Reilly

Girgensons 

Ennis 

Deslauriers 

Foligno

Defense:

Risto 

Pysyk 

Bogo 

Goal:

Lehner 

Skaters: O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart, Larsson, Kane, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Pysyk.  And Lehner.  

In all of the discussions about potential expansion draft rules, a couple execs warned the “25 per cent rule” did not get enough play. If you spend to the projected ceiling of $74 million, you’ll have to expose at least $18.5 million of unprotected salary. That’s not going to be easy, especially if players with no-move clauses can’t be exposed.

Lol this might suck even more for rebuilding teams like the sabres and the leafs.

Would the 25%/18.5MM be AAV or the player's salary for the specific expansion year? AAV would make sense since we're talking 25% of the cap and AAV=cap hit. However, it wouldn't be the most accurate representation of what the expansion team would really be paying the exposed player, right? But it would still be the accurate representation of the cap hit they'll take on if those contracts transfer 1:1. 

Take Moulson for example: his 2017-18 salary will be $3MM, but his cap hit is $5MM. Hopefully he'd count $5MM towards our minimum exposure. 

Assuming NTCs don't have to be protected (which is currently unclear), Moulson+Gorges+Bogosian puts us at $14 million. The spare parts that get exposed will cover the rest.

HahahahahahahahahahBogoHahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

Tim Murray smirks at Harrington

Are we sure that the likes of Eichel and Reinhart will be exempt from needing to be protected? If expansion was taking place let's say for the '17-'18 season, those two would be heading into the 3rd year of their ELCs. Aren't the only players exempt those on the first 2 years of said contracts?

Are we sure that the likes of Eichel and Reinhart will be exempt from needing to be protected? If expansion was taking place let's say for the '17-'18 season, those two would be heading into the 3rd year of their ELCs. Aren't the only players exempt those on the first 2 years of said contracts?

According to friedman they will be excempt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.