McKenzie speculates that Stamkos will end up in Buffalo

Brawndo

i've got a teenager who caught the journalism bug. bad. i'll support her in whatever she (reasonably) wants to do, but kerfluffles like this remind me just how frickin' difficult it is to be a journalist in the Twitter era.

I know plenty who have zero trouble being journalists in this era. Almost every one of them I'm thinking of thrives in it because they actively engage in reporting on social media without engaging with the masses of doofuses who try to ruin it.

(The doofus here is the one tweeting idiotic things at journalists, not the journalists responding to them)

JW - we disagree. Clearly pretty strongly. I've made my thoughts clear both at you and to you now. That's fine. I'm glad you joined the discussion and got an opportunity to explain yourself while giving me the opportunity to do the same. It was an enjoyable exercise and I respect you for keeping it mostly civil as I hope I did, as well. You're a good journalist. Respect to you and yours and I look forward to your reporting in the future.

If you've got any other thoughts or questions about my thoughts or questions then feel free to continue either here or in a direct message.

Edited by Hoss

How anybody can put stock in a Tweet without taking the time to do a little more research is beyond me. Journalism has become a joke and some of it has to do with the fact that people are easily duped. McKenzie clearly talked about Buffalo being Stamkos' best place to go and he gave his reasoning. No where did he say Stamkos wanted to come to Buffalo.

I know plenty who have zero trouble being journalists in this era. Almost every one of them I'm thinking of thrives in it because they actively engage in reporting on social media without engaging with the masses of doofuses who try to ruin it.

Well, okay. From what I see, the immediacy of the news cycle can greatly complicate the craft.

How anybody can put stock in a Tweet without taking the time to do a little more research is beyond me. Journalism has become a joke and some of it has to do with the fact that people are easily duped. McKenzie clearly talked about Buffalo being Stamkos' best place to go and he gave his reasoning. No where did he say Stamkos wanted to come to Buffalo.

yup and yup.  It all took off with the cropped clip of Mckenzie tweeted by some crappy fan account.  it edited out the part where the segment was pure speculation.  That turned into Mckenzie said stammer to buffalo holy crap what jersey # will he wear. 

Well, okay. From what I see, the immediacy of the news cycle can greatly complicate the craft.

This is certainly true. But being a journalist is far from the hardest craft and far from the least rewarding, according to those I know who have enjoyed success in this era. If she's passionate about it I'm sure she'll be great at it. It's a tough business, as they say, but it's not rocket science or medical practice.

(The doofus here is the one tweeting idiotic things at journalists, not the journalists responding to them)

JW - we disagree. Clearly pretty strongly. I've made my thoughts clear both at you and to you now. That's fine. I'm glad you joined the discussion and got an opportunity to explain yourself while giving me the opportunity to do the same. It was an enjoyable exercise and I respect you for keeping it mostly civil as I hope I did, as well. You're a good journalist. Respect to you and yours and I look forward to your reporting in the future.

If you've got any other thoughts or questions about my thoughts or questions then feel free to continue either here or in a direct message.

i'm not sure what we're disagreeing over.

you suggest i changed my story: i didn't.

you suggested i did what "mediocre public figures often do:" as if i'm not supposed to take some offense to that.

you then called me out by writing: "Wawrow, if you're reading this: why must you be such a dick?"

hey, you brought up the question, i simply responded with some answers you didn't exactly like or agree with.

guess i'm just being a dick again.

jw

yup and yup.  It all took off with the cropped clip of Mckenzie tweeted by some crappy fan account.  it edited out the part where the segment was pure speculation.  That turned into Mckenzie said stammer to buffalo holy crap what jersey # will he wear. 

this made me laugh. (also, the answer is 91!)

57345562.jpg

hey, you brought up the question, i simply responded with some answers you didn't exactly like or agree with.

jw

I don't understand where you're coming from here. I was settling on a point and saying I appreciated how you handled this, not anything near calling you a dick. The conversation was mostly civil considering our level of disagreement. We disagree. It happens. It doesn't mean you're being a dick. Or even that I am (I know I was as I believe you were on Twitter).

I was certainly being unfair in the "mediocre" comment. I apologize for that. Uncalled for and untrue. If either of us is mediocre it's me but I haven't approached that level yet.

I don't understand where you're coming from here. I was settling on a point and saying I appreciated how you handled this, not anything near calling you a dick. The conversation was mostly civil considering our level of disagreement. We disagree. It happens. It doesn't mean you're being a dick. Or even that I am (I know I was as I believe you were on Twitter).

I was certainly being unfair in the "mediocre" comment. I apologize for that. Uncalled for and untrue. If either of us is mediocre it's me but I haven't approached that level yet.

fair enough.

jw

Boooo. I just got my 2nd beer too. 

Drink to peace. ;)

slowpoke. i'm on my fourth.

jw

See this is the problem. Real world people are out there drinking as if they were camping at this time of day while people with beer in the names just get blasted for their opinions as being the town drunk regardless of the time of day. It's racist bias and needs to stop. Cheers :beer:  

I will wait till game time to partake today. 

Hey guys, look, I found where this thread went!

45]

xvx84nnqjk9bokm82d8p_bigger.pngThe Buffalo NewsVerified account@TheBuffaloNews

A case of tunnel vision: Vehicle driven into Metro Rail tunnel near Tupper. http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/vehicle-driven-into-metro-rail-tunnel-near-tupper-20160216

CbXBQ2XWAAAnOEj.jpg

Spoiler alert: they got the car out.

Hey guys, look, I found where this thread went!

A case of tunnel vision: Vehicle driven into Metro Rail tunnel near Tupper. http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/vehicle-driven-into-metro-rail-tunnel-near-tupper-20160216 

CbXBQ2XWAAAnOEj.jpg

Kane. First he spends all of his free time sexually harassing people, then he skips out on practices and travels wherever he feels, whenever he feels, and now this!? Let me guess, he was drunk snapchatting driving 103 MPH and he forgot there was a rail line there. Get rid of this guy NOW!

###### Kane. First he spends all of his free time sexually harassing people, then he skips out on practices and travels wherever he feels, whenever he feels, and now this!? Let me guess, he was drunk snapchatting driving 103 MPH and he forgot there was a rail line there. Get rid of this guy NOW!

Bob McKenzie said he wants to go to Tampa.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.