GDT: Buffalo @ Winnipeg, 3:00 pm est, 1-10-2016

WildCard

Reinhart found some puck luck finally, the puck seemed to follow him tonight

That's what one of the scouting reports said about him- that the puck follows him around.  I searched but couldn't find the quote, but I remember reading it in one of the scouting reports leading up to the 2014 draft.

I loved the joy from Sam on the bench late, the gratitude he showed Kane, and the affection the kid got from his teammates when the hattie was confirmed.

Kane has played better games for us, but he couldn't have made a better statement than that pass — to the Jets, Winnipeg, or his teammates.

A goal by Kane while skating by Stafford and Myers would be nice. Better yet I hope Sam gets his 3rd tonight.

Perfectly predicted.

AAOOOO AOOO AOOOOO!!! WE GOT A WIN BOYS!!  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiRy3PqVcw

Awesome!

Sam gets 3rd star because the Winnipeg media are butthurt wimps.

Tell me about it. Imagine having to live here and dealing with it all the time...

I loved the joy from Sam on the bench late, the gratitude he showed Kane, and the affection the kid got from his teammates when the hattie was confirmed.

Kane has played better games for us, but he couldn't have made a better statement than that pass — to the Jets, Winnipeg, or his teammates.

Completely agreed.

I wish more people would post videos like MODO has  :worthy:

Spot on

AAOOOO AOOO AOOOOO!!! WE GOT A WIN BOYS!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiRy3PqVcw

This is gold

Team Building

To my eye his back leg was off the ice but not over the line. I think it was a brilliant play by Sam because if not Stafford breaks his stride and cuts off the passing lane. Nope, Samson stays a stride a hard and gets the hattie. Nice

I know it was an empty net, still nice

Front skate over the line and back skate over it is offside. I don't know why the rule is written like that. It might be helpful if it were tweaked, given the difficulty of reviewing those plays. Of course the best thing would be to totally scrap the offside challenge.

He's probably concussed from all the helmet taps, pats, jabs and wacks, if he wasn't already from Byfuglien.

My game notes:

- The Winnipeg fans really hate Kane.  I don't think I've ever seen a crowd that relentless in booing a guy and cheering every time he got hit.

- As dudacek noted, Kane didn't have a great game, but he kept coming and his pass to Reino on the ENG was a thing of beauty -- as a sweet pass, as a game-sealing play and as a message about the kind of teammate he is. 

- Of the 4 principals in the trade, I thought Stafford had the best game.  Among many other fine plays, he tied up Kane to prevent him from scoring on the putback (although Kane should get some credit for skating hard and being in position to score).  If Stafford were that engaged on a consistent basis, none of us would've wanted the Sabres to let him go.

- I know Hellebucyk has been playing well, but goaltending was the difference in that game.

- I thought Winnipeg played the more physical game.  It would've been nice to have had Deslauriers.

- I didn't think the head shot on Reino was a dirty play by Byfuglien.  It looked to me like Reino didn't realize that puck was going to contested and he went after it head-first.

- I also didn't think Weber's hit from behind was a dirty play -- I thought the Jet turned into the boards at the last second before the hit.

- Speaking of Byfuglien, Winnipeg is crazy if they let him go to save money but give Ladd a big contract.  Byfuglien is a major force and Ladd is pretty much JAG.

- I thought Myers and Bogo were both pretty good but unspectacular.  Armia was a nonentity.

- Overall:  good win mentally for the boys for a number of reasons.  Among other things, if they score more than 2 goals, they can win plenty of games.

You need to come out of your shell!!! I want to be like MODO when I grow up.

Toronto initiates it. As much as I dislike the offside challenge, if they're going to have it, they have to have a failsafe for the end of a game when the coach can't challenge.

The dinosaurs and the code will say Reinhart put himself in a vulnerable position and Buttuglien couldn't help himself.

Aww :D 

Great win, hopefully this gives some piece and taste for more. 

This is gold

Team Building

Sabres winning, is Gold indeed! :D

- I thought Myers and Bogo were both pretty good but unspectacular.

Myers' play to prevent the empty net goal was spectacular. If go frame by frame, he absolutely put that puck off the post and out. Other than that, he was Tyler Myers. No regrets.

Love that building. The PA calls of the goals right off the ensuing faceoff, how sharp. No reason it can't be done everywhere. Cough cough Buffalo. I thought there was a modest cheer for Bogosian the first time he had control of the puck for a few seconds, when he was standing behind the net. Classy.

One thing bugs me though. The spotlight on the faceoff dots before a faceoff. How does the league allow this? They were shut off all night a few seconds before the drop, but on a faceoff with the goalie pulled, they left them on. Seems like it would distract the road player who's not used to it.

Keep blaming everything but Eastside's inability to handle disagreement.

He definitely comes off as a true-believer (and I mentioned it to him in the Politics thread); any argument that runs contrary is wrong and this is why. He's not angry or a jerk about it, though. Sad to see him go.

Dear City of Winnipeg,

F. U.

Love,

Evander Kane

As others have said the assist was the perfect way to go, better than actually scoring the goal himself. The one shot of Samson's face after the goal when Kane skated up said to me, "dude, I can't believe you passed up a chance to shut up the crowd" along with complete gratitude.

Skimmed thru the thread quickly after the game.

First, congrats on the win.

If anyone thinks there is racism towards Kaner or Buff or blacks in Winnipeg, it would be very, very little. Buff sells the most jerseys by far and if he is moved, it is because Chevy and he could not agree on a deal. Buff is loved by the fans. If there is racism here, it is directed more towards the native indians.

Also, before calling for a suspension on Buff, take a look at the dirty hit from behind (a much more dangerous hit) by Weber? on Ehlers.

Fine, review both. Doesn't make an elbow to the head OK.

Myers' play to prevent the empty net goal was spectacular. If go frame by frame, he absolutely put that puck off the post and out. Other than that, he was Tyler Myers. No regrets.

Love that building. The PA calls of the goals right off the ensuing faceoff, how sharp. No reason it can't be done everywhere. Cough cough Buffalo. I thought there was a modest cheer for Bogosian the first time he had control of the puck for a few seconds, when he was standing behind the net. Classy.

One thing bugs me though. The spotlight on the faceoff dots before a faceoff. How does the league allow this? They were shut off all night a few seconds before the drop, but on a faceoff with the goalie pulled, they left them on. Seems like it would distract the road player who's not used to it.

Oh, at the game there was a HUGE cheer for Bogosian during the anthem when it showed him on the big screen. Bogosian deserved a warm welcome, but that's not why they cheered him. It was ridiculously loud, it was merely an attempt by the fans to contrast that reaction to their reaction to Kane. It was to try and make Kane feel worse. The entire game was basically about Kane for the fans at the arena. It was the subtext of everything for them.

This board routinely chases new people out. It's not a good thing.

I missed all the drama during the game.  Just went back to his post history to see what led to EastsideOasis's leaving.  I saw several of the posts as they happened and frankly that was nothing more than normal forum banter.  Then he just got fed up and flamed out.  If someone leaves after such mild disagreement, so be it.  If he's going to be that high maintenance and be all about the drama, we don't need him.

Oddly enough, leading up to that I thought that while I didn't agree with him, he was pretty steady in making his points.  I didn't detect any "warning signs" until his last post (which I read for the first time just now).

This board routinely chases new people out. It's not a good thing.

I disagree. I'm one of the newest posters on here and I enjoy the conversations I've had with people. Oasis made valid points, as did others. The entire conversation was cordial and seemed like the exact kind of conversation you would join a board like this to have. Not anyone else's fault that he flamed out and left. I'd say it was just an overreaction to good banter personally.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.