The Home-ownership Thread

darksabre

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Wait, they put carpet on top of carpet?  With the top layer being shag, I picture you sinking right into that floor.  Did you happen to find any small animals or maybe even small children when you removed it?

Found the fossil of a mouse! 

Sidenote: peeling 2 layers of carpet out from underneath baseboard heaters is a severe pain in the butt. 

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

We should have an OT thread for cars.  Bought my wife a 2000 Jeep Wrangler in 2000.  Nineteen years later, there's only 12k miles on it.  Still all original including tires.  We change the oil once every 2 years whether it needs it or not.  The mechanics always do a double take when they record the mileage.  Needless to say, I do almost all the driving.

I think @darksabre started a car thread way back when.  If someone has time to ferret about in the cobwebs of the SabreSpace dungeon they may just find it.  May the force be with you.

I've been watching YouTube videos learning how to do a bunch of this stuff. GF sees me watching a miter saw tutorial and says "you didn't learn to use that thing in wood shop?" To which I replied "woman, I took musical theatre!" 

Yeah, I'm not much of a manly man, but I'm a triple threat on a stage.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Tondas said:

We should have an OT thread for cars.  Bought my wife a 2000 Jeep Wrangler in 2000.  Nineteen years later, there's only 12k miles on it.  Still all original including tires.  We change the oil once every 2 years whether it needs it or not.  The mechanics always do a double take when they record the mileage.  Needless to say, I do almost all the driving.

Start a Club in here. 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Do the members need to be approved?  As owner, can ubkev do it?

A moderator has to approve the club before any of us can start a topic. And no, members don't need to be approved. You're in.

Back to home ownership:

When the thunderstorm blew through last night, it blew over one of our trees.  This tree has a sordid history so I'm not entirely upset it's fallen over.

When we bought the house, we had a tree next to the house taken down (it was rubbing against the eave).  While the arborist was there, he pointed out a tree on the rear of the lot that he said would probably have to come down "in the next few years."  Later that summer, the power company "trimmed" (hacked) the trees at the rear of the lot to provide clearance to the power lines.  This tree was totally stripped of branches all the way up to the very top, where they left a few.  It looked like something drawn by Dr. Seuss.  My wife asked them to take it all the way down at the time as it did not look viable, but they left it.  Last night it was blown over.  My wife called the power company and we're going to file a claim for them to pay for the tree to be removed.  They're supposed to send an adjuster out to look at it.  Meanwhile, I'm getting an estimate from my arborist because I expect the power company to provide a low-ball settlement offer.

Fortunately, it looks like the entire tree fell in the corner of the yard away from the house and didn't take anything of substance out with it.  The new roof on the house is okay.

Edited by Doohickie

We're going to try to get the power company to pay for removal.  If so I'll just have my arborist do it.  I need him to do some other stuff around the yard anyway.  If the power company stiffs us, a friend has already volunteered to help me clean it up.  Personally I want the power company to pay something out, because their contractor ruined the tree.  I think they left so little greenage that the tree was no longer viable.

I would prefer a professional mess with the trunk that's near the power lines.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.