2012: 5-6-1 11 Pts

2011: 7-5-0 14 Pts

*2010: 3-7-2 8 Pts

*2009: 9-2-1 19 Pts

2008: 8-2-2 18 Pts

2007: 5-6-1 11 Pts

*2006: 11-0-1 23 Pts

*2005: 7-5-0 14 Pts

The Core certainly teased us a bit here and there.

Hope this is not too far off topic

3 Pysyk — C

He's been fine in the number five slot, but has the skillset to do more. Hasn't been a difference-maker and doesn't seem to have really tried to be one.

4 Gorges — C+

He should be in over his head on the number one pair, but Gorges has actually been pretty effective. He's been positionally sound, rarely beaten to the outside and generally made things unpleasant for his opponent. He lets Risto move the puck and the giveaways and bad penalties that we saw during the tank have been kept to a minimum.

6 Weber — C-

We've seen this before. As usual, when Weber is forced to play higher than the 3rd pairing, his game suffers; his battle is good but his skillset betrays him. He played second pair for the early part of the season and that's why he now sits.

9 Kane — B

Kane hasn't used his linemates enough and failed to bury a handful of glorious chances. Otherwise, his play has been outstanding; he's a load on the forecheck, responsible in his own zone and he consistently creates chances. The ice tilts the right way when he's out there.

12 Gionta — F

His effort and positioning are solid, but I think it was WildCard who called it, Gionta has been where plays go to die. If he was on the fourth line, I'd give him a passing grade, but he's the captain and getting 18 minutes a game. Hope he's just shaking off his injury.

15 Eichel — C

He's scored the prettiest goals of the season and he usually does something every game that makes you go "wow!" But he hasn't quite figured out the NHL game yet, and his goose egg in the assist column is embarrassing. He's starting to push. As a result his game is regressing and he is making rookie decisions.

17 Legwand — B

Really can't ask for much more from a fourth-line centre. He's dependable defensively and does the little things well, but still has enough skill to make plays.

22 Larsson — C

He's been inconsistent, but when he keeps the arms and legs churning he's been effective in traffic. Solid defensively and good at pissing off opponents. He can read the game, but needs to move the puck faster if he wants to stick with the more talented guys.

23 Reinhart — C

So much better than last year, he's proving wrong those who said he was too slow and too weak. Still, he is outmuscled more than most and can get caught watching the game instead of playing it. He has surprised with his netfront presence and has made some of the season's prettiest passes.

25 Colaiacovo — C

Low expectations, but he certainly hasn't embarrassed himself. Seems OK in the role of spare part defenceman.

26 Moulson — B-

I think he has quietly been one of the better Sabres. He's battled hard, played positionally sound hockey and made some big plays when he's had to, and he's done it without being matched with any of the team's playmakers.

28 Girgensons —C

Probably the biggest disappointment of the early weeks, he's starting to find his game now. The hustle was always there, but he's recently started to look comfortable in the system. I will be surprised if he doesn't break out soon.

29 McCabe — C+

He's gone from the Amerks to the second pairing the old-fashioned way, by earning it. Unlike Pysyk, he is willing to make mistakes, and has tried to make a difference. Has made plays and both ends of the ice and in both the skill and physical games. Seems to have elevated the play of his new partner, Cody Franson.

31 Johnson — C-

Has battled hard and had a few good moments, but simply hasn't made enough saves. A capable backup should be able to sustain a team for a short while when the starter goes down and he didn't deliver.

35 Ullmark — Incomplete

One shakey start, followed by an OK start, followed by a good one. Too small a sample size, but at least he is trending the right way.

44 Deslauriers — B

He's supposed to be an 8-minute fourth-liner, but he's played more like a solid third-liner, and hasn't embarrassed himself on the top line. He's skating, hitting, helping drive possession and has even done a little finishing.

46 Franson — C+

He's pretty much exactly as advertised: painfully slow but very good at making quick, smart passes, good at the offensive blueline, not so good at ours. He's also added a few choice hits and has been generally effective in sheltered minutes.

55 Ristolainen — B-

He's being ridden like a number one defenceman and seems to be improving under the workload. He has had a few brainfarts, but big plays have been coming more frequently — smart breakout passes, big hits, carrying the puck on the attack. No defenceman on the team is stronger with the puck under pressure.

59 Schaller — Incomplete

Competed and played smart in limited appearances. Looks like he could be a capable fourth-liner.

63 Ennis — C

This may seem a little low, given all the time he's spent carrying the puck, but I had very high expectations. He's only had a few games where he's found that groove where his effort and skill have combined into results. He needs to be more purposeful and more than a 20/20/40 man.

82 Foligno — C+

He's played tough, created turnovers, made some nice passes and has been more engaged on a game-to-game basis. He's matured, and is making better decisions. I think he has been an effective bottom-six guy and a real key component to this new relentless identity the team is starting to establish.

88 McGinn — C+

He started slowly, but has been tough on the forecheck and willing to go to the net. Another guy who has helped create this new wolf pack mentality and has some offensive skill to add to his grit.

90 O'Reilly — A

He's been a legitimate first-line centre. He's scored goals, created plays, made the power play work, killed penalties, won faceoffs, matched up against the other team's best players and driven possession. I don't know if I have ever seen a more effective Sabre at taking the puck away from the opposition. More importantly he's really set the right tone and been the best leader we've seen here since Drury.

Grades are relative to role and expectations.

Have at 'er.

Edited by dudacek

Wow.  Great breakdown dudacek.

But a little Nurse Ratchet-y on the grades, innit? 

I might've been a bit more generous to Ocho Cinco, McCabe and Franson in particular -- but maybe I'm still feeling fat and happy after seeing the boys produce a 3rd-period comeback win last night live and in person.

Still, that is some Bogo-approved Peruvian flake.

The next 5 look tough:  Vancouver, San Jose, Florida and 2 vs Tampa.

Come through that stretch 3-2 and it will be awfully hard not to think about the playoffs.

Look at the end of the month.  5 straight against the Central will be tough.

Nicely done, dudacek. Like the others, I was a bit put-off upon my initial read of the grades, but after another read-through I believe I understand what you are trying to do.  The team is, after all, sitting somewhere in mid-20th place, so earning a B or higher SHOULD be difficult. 

I think the benchmarks are indeed O'Reilly and Gionta; and then where do the rest fit in-between?  I think you're pretty much there for most of them, although I can't fault Eichel for not having assists, or for being very young.  In his case, considering his circumstances and using your metric, I think I'd give him a C+ at least, but no higher than a B. 

I would probably give Kane a B- or C+, because he HAS had some really nice chances that he didn't finish and, being the older of he and Eichel, he should have compensated for Eichel's inexperience more by not being in Eichel's lane (even if Eichel was, in fact, the guy in the wrong lane).

Lastly, I think Foligno's improvement from last season is so notable, I would have given him a B-.  He is definitely becoming "the concept of Foligno" to me, at least.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.