Norm Lacombe, 1983

PASabreFan

Funny thing, I recognize all those but if you put up a picture of last years draft class, I'm not sure I'd know anyone other then Sam.

Bowman, Barasso, Housley, Cyr, Lacombe, Tucker, Andreychuk, Creighton, Puppa .... successive years .... I remember thinking we'd have six cups in ten years.

Bowman, Barasso, Housley, Cyr, Lacombe, Tucker, Andreychuk, Creighton, Puppa .... successive years .... I remember thinking we'd have six cups in ten years.

I wanna cry now.  All the talk of 1st round draft pickapalooza leading up to the tank had me remembering this.  So much excitement about those drafts.  So little results......

I remember Labombe as number 32 (not 15) back in the mid 80's when I had season tickets.  They called him "anvil" because he was supposedly built like one.  I remember one game where Lacombe got hit and "was out on his feet".  As he tried to get back to the bench, the other team just kept bumping him to the ice.  He looked like a human pinball.  The fans and the Sabres were yelling for the ref to blow the whistle but he was oblivious.  With what we know about concussions now, it's not a funny situation.  But back then, most of the crowd had a pretty good chuckle.  Kind of like Gordo trying to cross traffic.

Yep.  Didnt mind Tucker so much but Cyr (with the exception of one Boston game) was a waste of roster spot.

If I remember correctly, he had a few games against the Bruins besides that hat trick game that I am sure you are referring to.

No doubt Cyr and Tucker were disappointmets as hockey players but the real damage they did was bringing the whole teeny bopper, hockey groupie scene to the Sabres games. Sorry for the sexism but there were some scary girls crammed into less then flattering Sabres jerseys all over the arena.

If I remember correctly, he had a few games against the Bruins besides that hat trick game that I am sure you are referring to.

No doubt Cyr and Tucker were disappointmets as hockey players but the real damage they did was bringing the whole teeny bopper, hockey groupie scene to the Sabres games. Sorry for the sexism but there were some scary girls crammed into less then flattering Sabres jerseys all over the arena.

I think every girl in my school had a crush on one if not both of them.

I was out of touch in 1983 (mostly getting drunk in college and the only hockey I watched was Oates and Puppa at RPI). Who, exactly are those guys?

Tom Barsssso

John Tucker

Norm Lacombe

Adam Creighton

TB, NL, AC were three first rounders followed by Tucker in the second a year after Houskey, Andrechyuk and Zcyr were all taken in the first the year before. Those 7 were supposed to win multiple Cups for Scotty and Buffalo

Yep.  Didnt mind Tucker so much but Cyr (with the exception of one Boston game) was a waste of roster spot.

Anyone who speed-bagged Borque was okay by me.

I think every girl in my school had a crush on one if not both of them.

Oh, man. Those were weird times. I know we've kicked it around here some in the past. Sean McKenna was part of that same cohort, although he was not as much an NHL regular (but he was good looking, apparently).

This is amazing to learn about. Sabres had a boy band phase? I'm intrigued.

Cyr, Tucker, and McKenna created many a puck bunny around these parts back in the 80s.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.