Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

5060_B.jpg

Evidence "bag" - paper, sealed with evidence tape (person collecting signs) chain of evidence is kept ON BAG. Bag would need to be KEPT (or at least should be kept) as record, even if items placed in new container. (plastic is usually used for "dry" items, paper for wet, so that mold, and changes to evidence does not occur - we are told blood, etc... never goes in plastic. A "rape kit " is.... 

Great idea for keeping co-workers away from your lunch in the office fridge. 

Or there was no tampering and the bag story is fake.  Or the bag story is true but the bag is fake.  Or the bag story is real, the bag is real, and it was the tamperer him/herself who left it between doors.  Or ...

This thing has more twists than an M. Night Shalalm-whateverthe###### movie.

Jesus, if that bag is real several people on the police department should get fired. 

Does anyone know who takes custody of kit in Erie county? For instance, If I take a complainant to the hospital (or meet one there), the nurse (specifically certified to obtain the evidence) completes the kit, signs it and gives it to me. Our SOP states I must give it to PSP (Penn. State Police) to go to their crime lab (there would now be three names on the box). If it ever comes back to court, the original box (and marked by who opened it, would now be part of the "evidence". If something that contained evidence was ever discarded, then yes, someone would have screwed up.

Think of it this way - you should be able to lay the evidence and its containers out and create a time line of who had it and who opened it, from collection to trial. (Our department requires that every signature is followed by date/time and initialed by the receiver and giver. So the victim's initials would be with the nurses signature. The nurse with the first officer's, and so on...

An empty bag with nothing but a name on it would be real easy to "forge" . I have a couple dozen of each bag in my patrol bag now. Getting someone elses signature and initials on it, not so easy.

We keep the entire box. (I can't speak for NY). The way it was taught at our academy was simple - once evidence is collected EVERYTHING in the container (there are tubes for needles, envelopes for items, etc...) and the CONTAINER ITSELF is now evidence.

Awesome, really appreciate the insight into the process. I'm seeing a cop buddy of mine Friday, so I'll see how comparable the NY process is (you wouldn't think it'd be radically different, but stranger things have happened).

Jesus, if that bag is real several people on the police department should get fired. 

If, somehow, that bag truly had evidence in it at anytime, I would be concerned. But a bag with just the victim's name on it, could be explained away in many ways. (Working midnights, it is common to begin filling out the bag, getting the date wrong, incident numbers can be wrong, misspelled names, those bags become "garbage bags" usually). I just can't see how it would end up at the mother's door. And, if you need to trash a bag, you should scribble out all info on it. Just like shredding any duplicate documents etc... that might contain names, ssn, etc...

Oh, I have been meaning to ask, which department is actually handling the case? Hamburg, Buffalo, NY State police, or an Erie County investigation? I can't imagine Hamburg having its own lab. Would they use State Police or does Buffalo have a lab? Does Hamburg have its own detective unit/ sex crime investigators, or do they use county detectives? The more departments involved the more problems that can arise.

And yet, you did.

Tell me, what do I have to gain by implying she didn't go to the hospital? What would my motive be? Is there some sort of conspiracy I'm not aware of that involves her skipping out on the hospital?

Would it make you two happy if I went back and edited my post to not include 'if'? You two seem to be awfully obsessed over a conditional statement................ bordering on obsessive. 

Obessive, that word you keep using, I don't think it means what you think it means.

You're right. It's more like ridiculous, absurd................. lunacy?

You've spent a good part of two pages trying to convince me to think what you want me to think, all because I used the word 'if'. I'll go with 'obsessive'. 

Tell me, what do I have to gain by implying she didn't go to the hospital? What would my motive be? Is there some sort of conspiracy I'm not aware of that involves her skipping out on the hospital?

Would it make you two happy if I went back and edited my post to not include 'if'? You two seem to be awfully obsessed over a conditional statement................ bordering on obsessive. 

LGR, feel free to jump in.

No one cares about your motives. And no ones obsessed with you. You seriously have to be off to think people call your posts out consistently because they are obsessed. People do it because you come off as a nutjub in this thread.

You literally pop in every few days in the rape thread of all threads to imply or say something ridiculous. That's why people call you out so much, not because anyone's obsessed.

Why don't you act like an adult, recognize your in a sensitive topic, and choose your words more carefully

This is great:

The accusers lawyer is not surprised all evidence is accounted for with Erie County Central Police Services....(cont'd)

...His issue is "what happened from the time the evidence was collected, until it got to ECCPS."

More Eoannou "what evidence went into this bag,what came out of it, what was done with it and was it done prior to CPS receiving it."

Where are Holmes and Watson when you need them?

What on earth.

I don't care to speculate about what you might "gain" (such that you can by posting on a message board) by implying what you did. I'm even less interested in guessing at a motive. (Although if I had to guess, I'd say the root cause is some poor writing and subsequent stubbornness.)

I'm simply saying that you did imply it. And then you refused to admit it. And I've insisted you do so, as have others.

Edited by That Aud Smell

So the implication is that if the evidence was tampered with, it was done so prior to the lab tests.

If the nurses initials can be authenticated, it would indicate that this is the bag turned over to Hamburg police. I would assume that the next step would be authenticating the nurses initials on the bag eccps currently has in their possession.

If the nurse's initials on the bag left at the mothers house cannot be authenticated either way, it would leave open the potential that this bag is a forgery.

Meanwhile we await the NYSP or FBI investigation.

This is straight out of a TV script.

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

What on earth.

I don't care to speculate about what you might "gain" (such that you can by posting on a message board) by implying what you did. I'm even less interested in guessing at a motive. (Although if I had to guess, I'd say the root cause is some poor writing and subsequent stubbornness.)

I'm simply saying that you did imply it. And then you refused to admit it. And I've insisted you do so, as have others.

Seems kinda pointless to accuse me of something (even though I've specifically stated otherwise several times) when you don't even have a reason why I would do such a thing. Why does it matter if she went to the hospital? 

Stop making pointless accusations if you can't even find a reason why I'd do it. 

Erie County Central Police Services, who released this bombshell this afternoon:

Evidence in Kane case ‘remains in its original packaging,’ says Erie County Central Police Services

Thanks - does this mean that Erie County is now primary as well? Here, it would be PSP lab, Lehigh County detectives primary. Borough secondary. (In Allentown city limits, they would be primary and county detectives would not be involved (Allentown population is 120,000 or so, borough is about 3,000)

I think we're morphing from SVU into True Detective. Anyone see an animal mask in Cambria's office?

And when the techs find trace evidence of maple syrup that only comes from a very rare maple tree, one of which is on Kane's property and has a tap, we're into Bones or CSI: Miami territory.

Dude, it really did read like you were questioning whether she went to the hospital. Accept that you didn't express yourself well. The only other explanation is that you're holding the somewhat naive view that once the rape kit was in possession of the "the authorities", nothing strange could possibly happen to it. Evidence disappears or is tampered with from time to time, and it wouldn't be impossible that some idiot either connected to the Kane camp or trying to protect a "hero" hockey player messed with it.

So the implication is that if the evidence was tampered with, it was done so prior to the lab tests.

If the nurses initials can be authenticated, it would indicate that this is the bag turned over to Hamburg police. I would assume that the next step would be authenticating the nurses initials on the bag eccps currently has in their possession.

If the nurse's initials on the bag left at the mothers house cannot be authenticated either way, it would leave open the potential that this bag is a forgery.

Meanwhile we await the NYSP or FBI investigation.

This is straight out of a TV script.

Maybe Sabresince70 can weigh in on this. Would/could the nurse's finger prints be on this bag? That would be one hell of an authentication if she actually handles that bag at any point without gloves on.

I don't need a reason when I have your own words to prove my claim. Look upthread. I bolded the language to which I was referring.

If you can't take my word for it, that's your problem. I really couldn't care less. 

And when the techs find trace evidence of maple syrup that only comes from a very rare maple tree, one of which is on Kane's property and has a tap, we're into Bones or CSI: Miami territory.

Dude, it really did read like you were questioning whether she went to the hospital. Accept that you didn't express yourself well. The only other explanation is that you're holding the somewhat naive view that once the rape kit was in possession of the "the authorities", nothing strange could possibly happen to it. Evidence disappears or is tampered with from time to time, and it wouldn't be impossible that some idiot either connected to the Kane camp or trying to protect a "hero" hockey player messed with it.

Evidence is tampered with, what does that have to do with it showing up at her mother's door? 

Thanks - does this mean that Erie County is now primary as well? Here, it would be PSP lab, Lehigh County detectives primary. Borough secondary. (In Allentown city limits, they would be primary and county detectives would not be involved (Allentown population is 120,000 or so, borough is about 3,000)

Yes, I believe Erie County is now primary, since it's an Erie County grand jury it was supposed to go before.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.