Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

Also, the character testimony in the article is largely from co-workers, and far from worthless.

I don't mean to say that they're worthless, just that they have very limited worth.  There is a distinction there.

Why's that? If she went back to hook up and then changed her mind, too bad? (I thinking you didn't mean it that way, but it could be easily be read that way)

You lost me on this one.

Why?  Many here assume that motivation for being at the scene is somehow relevant.  Suppose it was as innocent as an invitation to see a unique painting, or the availability of goumet food, or a special bottle of wine.  The overtones being implied on both sides are highly specious and will come out only if charges are filed and the case submitted to a finder of fact.  I think the visceral reaction is to the assumption that due to the hour, and the status of the accused, that sex was on everyone's mind prior to arriving at the scene.  If we start the discussion that there was a valid reason to be at the scene other than either party's expectation of intimacy, it is much fairer to the each side.  

I agree.  I don't want to blame her or sound harsh but it is like when someone dies unexpectedly, all their family and friends say they were the greatest person.  It isn't an objective observation.  She could be a good person or she could not. 

I wish some more facts would emerge but at the same time this entire case is just tragic.

A young man was recently shot and killed at a local car dealership one night last week.  He had vandalized several cars and driven his own vehicle through the showroom window and into other cars.  While the PD said the cop used poor judgement leading up to shooting the suspect and the death was avoidable, the fact remains that he did serious damage to several cars.

The relevance here is that his friends and family are holding ongoing memorial meetings every night.  Every one of them will tell what a good guy he was.  But there was, doing terrible damage to cars (this was recorded on security cameras).

So my point is, her friends and family will naturally support her and say what a sweet girl she is.  They have no reason (that they know of) not to.  But they also have no knowledge of what she does behind closed doors.  So she may present very pure and innocent to family and friends and be very promiscuous.  You just don't know.

(And now maybe I should duck while accusations of victim blaming are lobbed in my direction.)

Another star athlete wrongfully accused of rape.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/08/12/student-wrongfully-expelled-for-rape-tri

If you're going to try to make a point make it. This just has the look of you trying to bang the "Kane is innocent drum" because we all already know full well that there are false accusations.

And you might want a better example. The alleged victim in the case you just posted very well may have been raped. He wasn't found "not guilty." They just chose his story over her's and went away from the "yes means yes" trend.

If you're going to try to make a point make it. This just has the look of you trying to bang the "Kane is innocent drum" because we all already know full well that there are false accusations.

And you might want a better example. The alleged victim in the case you just posted very well may have been raped. He wasn't found "not guilty." They just chose his story over her's and went away from the "yes means yes" trend.

I usually disagree with you in this thread, but I agree with you here.

It appears he found her hammered and then took her to his bedroom when she was too drunk to say no. 

I hear a lot about "rape endemics" and this and that, but the only kind of rape that I've heard about people I know or through victims are when the girl is passed out and the guys take advantage. THIS, I believe, is very prevalent in 2015 all over the country. 

In these cases we have girls who don't remember, girls who sort of remember, girls who aren't sure if they consented or not, girls who kind of consented, and girls who definitely did not consent. And that's just intercourse. There are thousands more that are getting felt up while passed out and have no memories of it.

Is there a reason you continue to hound me? I've been completely reasonable all throughout this thread, I haven't attacked anybody, I haven't posted any derogatory posts, I haven't gone off topic. Yet you continue to follow me around complaining about everything I post. You've gotten into a bad habit of trying to control what people say on here just because you don't like the content. This is an adult conversation with a great group of civilized people. I'm not sure why you think you're more important than everbody else to where you think you're in charge of steering the direction of a topic, but you're not. Get off your high horse, you aren't as important as you think you are. Part of the reason it was being discussed earlier that some may try to think there is an ulterior motive in the Kane case was because rape allegations are much more common than convictions. There was also discussion about 'guilty until proven innocent' on college campuses, there was also talk over knee-jerk reactions and this is a related case regarding 'affirmative consent'.

This is much more related to the topic than the cost effectiveness of changing the cover of a video game. I've been patient with you for quite some time now, but your pompous atitude is starting to wear thin.

Is there a reason you continue to hound me? I've been completely reasonable all throughout this thread, I haven't attacked anybody, I haven't posted any derogatory posts, I haven't gone off topic. Yet you continue to follow me around complaining about everything I post. You've gotten into a bad habit of trying to control what people say on here just because you don't like the content. This is an adult conversation with a great group of civilized people. I'm not sure why you think you're more important than everbody else to where you think you're in charge of steering the direction of a topic, but you're not. Get off your high horse, you aren't as important as you think you are. Part of the reason it was being discussed earlier that some may try to think there is an ulterior motive in the Kane case was because rape allegations are much more common than convictions. There was also discussion about 'guilty until proven innocent' on college campuses, there was also talk over knee-jerk reactions and this is a related case regarding 'affirmative consent'.

This is much more related to the topic than the cost effectiveness of changing the cover of a video game. I've been patient with you for quite some time now, but your pompous atitude is starting to wear thin.

It was a pretty bad example of an athlete found wrongfully accused, which is not at all what that article describes.

Edited by Eleven

This, you go out together and you come home together.  

This definitely was not the motto in college.  

As for the Reason article being discussed.. my interpretation was that he was not tried.  The school expelled him because they adopted guilty until proven innocent.  The point is that the school was found to be acting wrongfully in that case forcing the alleged attacker to prove he was innocent which as they pointed out would be damn near impossible.

The word "another" is what is going to catch the most fire from your post.  Whether or not you actually were implying something there, it sure does look like you were.

That's usually a term used in conjunction with plurality. Not much I can do about that.

All you'd have to do is clarify that your intended meaning was not "another, in addition to this Kane accusation."

Or.................... people could just stop assuming. If there is confusion, perhaps ask for clarification? Seems we've been down this road already.

Or.................... people could just stop assuming. If there is confusion, perhaps ask for clarification? Seems we've been down this road already.

I read most of the feedback as requesting clarification. I agree with you, they just need to be more clear with their request. Words are hard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.