Roster review: #17 David Legwand

dudacek

David Legwand  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think David Legwand fits in next year?

• He will surprise by being a useful third-liner
    • A solid 4th-liner and role player
    • He will be spotted in and out of the lineup, if he makes the team

Continuing the roster review with one of the summer's quieter acquisitions

post-2708-0-67028200-1438177494_thumb.jpg

#17 David Legwand C (one year left left at $3 million per, age 34)

Ottawa 80/9/18/27/1/32

Something that may be an eye-opener for those who have him pegged as nothing more than a salary dump: David Legwand would have finished fifth in scoring on the Sabres last year. Two years ago, his 51 points would have had him in first. He might be 34 and nearing the end, but he is still a former 2nd-overall pick who has played more than 1,000 NHL games.

He played 14 years with Nashville Predators, most of them as a solid 2nd-liner. He peaked at 27 goals and 63 points in 2007, but maintained about a 50-point full-season pace since then before falling off statistically last year.

Focusing on recent years, Legwand has shown he can take faceoffs, play a solid two-way game and contribute on special teams. Ottawa fans say he has lost a step and dropped down the lineup as the season progressed. He’s also said to be good in the room. Tim Murray indicated Ottawa insisted Legwand be part of the Lehner deal, but he has to have his fingers crossed he can be a positive influence on another pair of centres drafted 2nd overall.

Links to the rest of the series:

Edited by dudacek

Whatever role he plays he will be an upgrade to who he replaces. I would rather have a career NHL'er who lost a step in my bottom 6 than a career AHL'er who doesn't belong in the league. We have seen enough of that the last few years.

I was trying to put together my thoughts on Legwand but you nailed it. 

Whatever role he plays he will be an upgrade to who he replaces. I would rather have a career NHL'er who lost a step in my bottom 6 than a career AHL'er who doesn't belong in the league. We have seen enough of that the last few years.

Very well put.

I guess this is what depth looks like.

The guy had 27 points last year, so he's not dead. I don't think he should get an opportunity over Larsson on the 3rd line, but he should be able to contribute as a 4th liner and be another good veteran voice to have around the kids.

Agreed. His addition doesn't hurt and allows the team to have 2 vet centers all year (minus ths handful of games both Legwand and Cody Mac are both broken; also assumes ROR doesn't face any suspension).

FAR better C situation than what they were in prior to the draft day trades. Girgs / Larsson being THE vet to supplant Cody did not instill warm fuzzies. ;) (2 years ftom now, it would. This year, not so much.)

Looking at his player usage, he's consistently been tasked with playing defensive minutes.  He's responsible.  His quality of teammates dropped substantially from NSH to DET to OTT, resulting in an expected drop in point production, but his quality of competition also dropped, which is a little alarming.  He'll still play well defensively, but without good line mates, he could struggle to contribute depth scoring.  He tops out at 45 points, but on this squad, it's difficult to see him posting more than 35 points as a bottom-six defensive forward.

I think he will do well as a stop-gap to start the season (if he makes the team) and be phased out as the year goes on.  He could be a solid veteran in the locker room and help the young kids! (which they are)

Sorry about the line through everything!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

After 15 years with Nashville, (top year 2006-7: 27G, 36A, 44 PIM) he got traded to the Wings for the playoff stretch. He left Nashville holding records as the leader in all offensive career categories. That offseason, he got traded to the Sens, to help with leadership (ahem). Again, he was there for one year (9G, 18A, 32PIM) and got traded to the Sabres. If he remains healthy, I can see 15-20G/A for 40 pts. 

Edited by 716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.