Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Great pic and oldschool pumps too ..... nice.

Been shooting a 1948 Ithaca M37 for a couple years now..... Refinished a trap stock so it fits me very well .... but only target loads..... with hunting loads, those M37 Featherlights kill on one end and wound on the other...

Where you at Ducky? Rates? Season?

Edited by hsif

Ya, I do.

Location, with who, how many and what kind of birds (ducks, geese), how many the dog retrieved, am or pm, wind direction and strength, date, etc...

The retriever I have now is at 585 and I lost his first year of retrieves.....about 44. All water retrieves, none on land are counted, not even the grouse.

Like I say, anyone from the site comes out, 20% off. World-class walleye fishing and grouse hunting while waterfowl season is on too.

Hey Ducky -

Do you get wood ducks in your neck of the woods?  If so what do you do with the flank feathers when you clean them?  While I don't hunt, I'm into fly fishing and could use the barred flank feathers when tying Catskill Style Dry Flies (as well as other patterns).  Didn't know if we could work something out as long as there's no legal issues with shipping feathers between countries.

There is probably a law banning waterfowl trade. I will look it up because we harvest Wood Ducks. I shot 1 and buddy shot the other on Halloween one year. 85 % or more of the marsh frozen and 2 female woodies check out the dekes. That was a top 10 hunt for my lifetime. Mallards landing in dekes before we pushed the boat into the sparse reeds. Flocks of 2 to 400 landing in our dekes with crops full of barley.

I don't own a semi-autoloader and don't think i would. I've seen too many go down in the marsh. I own two Model 37s and an 870 Wingmaster. Also, I bought a Model 12 Winchester last year that I have yet to fire. I have to bore the barrel to accept steel shot. I am a machinist so I bore them to whatever I think is right. This is usually about 0.003" smaller than a modified choke. The Ithica has 4 inches cut off the standard 30 inch barrel and modified to accept screw in chokes. I keep it in the boat for a backup or if geese are coming and I have time to put in bigger loads like BB's.

I live less than 15 minutes north of Winnipeg. We typically hunt in the Netley and Delta Marshes but if you look at a map of Manitoba, you will see all the water between Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg. This is heaven for duck hunters and sportsmen in general.

A typical 5 day hunt ($500.00 USD per person per day) is $2500.00 USD. This is based on 2 hunters per guide. A day would start with you being picked up at your room/cabin/motel around 4:15 am by your guide. You are transported to hunting area and guide has all gear. After limits ( we usually stay until filled) you are transported to room and lunch would follow. I suggest this meal being the biggest of the 3 because the last of the day could be late and you are getting up early in the mornings.  You then have the option of fishing, field hunting for geese, grouse hunting or kicking back and resting up for the next day's hunt. 8 ducks a day, 8 Canada geese a day, 6 each of spruce and ruffed and sharptail (some areas 4 a day) grouse a day. 20 Snow geese a day but we don't usually hunt them a lot as they fly more to the west part of the province and are VERY fickle and hard to pattern. Brekky wold be toast and coffee or cereal or something light which will be in your room and prepared by the client. Mid-day meals and last meal of the day are prepared by us. No alcohol supplied by outfitter.

We have awesome field hunting for geese here as well as the Oak Hammock Wildlife Management area is one of the biggest staging areas for geese in all of North America. We hunt barley and wheat fields over decoys and we usually hunt out of layout blinds.

Bird processing is extra. Clients are responsible for their proper licenses, shotshells, raingear, camo clothing, etc... All fishing gear (not including licenses) are supplied. HUGE walleye in the river at this ti me of year and there is always MONSTER catfish int he river. Manitoba does not go by weight in measuring fish but length. 28 inches is a master angler Walleye and 34 is the minimum length for Channel Catfish. Fall is not prime time for cats but you can still get them with frogs. Numerous walleye are taken in the fall and local's ears don't really perk up until we hear of a 15+ pounder or 32+ incher.

All-time record for Manitoba walleye....we fish the Red River.

https://anglers.travelmanitoba.com/master_angler_search.asp?fish_id=2600&lake_id=&angler_fname=&angler_lname=&angler_id=&caught_method=&fmon=&fday=&fyear=&tmon=&tday=&tyear=&organize=species&sortby=size&report=advanced&advanced=1&d=search#results

I think this will show you all master angler walleye caught on the Red River.  Fall is the best time of year, not counting ice fishing.

https://anglers.travelmanitoba.com/master_angler_search.asp?fish_id=2600&lake_id=Red+River&angler_fname=&angler_lname=&angler_id=&caught_method=&fmon=01&fday=01&fyear=1991&tmon=12&tday=31&tyear=2012&organize=species&sortby=size&report=advanced&advanced=1&d=search#results

If you are more interested in numbers and eater size fish, June is the time of year where we catch 80+ a boat per day and big smallmouth bass are in that region ( an hour away), too. This is 3 hours north of Winnipeg in the Canadian shield region of the province. We boated 128 smallmouth with many over 17 inches and 84 walleye on a 2 1/2 day trip this past June. 1 1/2 days of bass fishing and then we moved an hour closer to home and hammered the walleye.

this year's guide   http://www.winnipegtrapandskeet.com/docs/2015huntingguide.pdf

I hope this answers most questions. If you have more, don't hesitate to ask.

forgot

seasons for waterfowl run from September 24 to November 30.

Hey Ducky -

Do you get wood ducks in your neck of the woods?  If so what do you do with the flank feathers when you clean them?  While I don't hunt, I'm into fly fishing and could use the barred flank feathers when tying Catskill Style Dry Flies (as well as other patterns).  Didn't know if we could work something out as long as there's no legal issues with shipping feathers between countries.

I can't seem to get through to the guy that I have to ask....Chad Hornbaker at 1-701-825-5999....prompts won't let me continue....I hate those things.

Picked up a real nice smallmouth in the lower Niagara River in front of Art Park. Not much activity on the water. Must be the holiday weekend has the fishermen occupied. Fishing was slow. Not much hitting.

I wanted to get out this morning but it just wasn't happening. Might try to get out tomorrow or Monday morning with Josie in tow. Going to get some small bobbers to try to let us get a little further out into the Genny and try the depths there with a little more control.

I wanted to get out this morning but it just wasn't happening. Might try to get out tomorrow or Monday morning with Josie in tow. Going to get some small bobbers to try to let us get a little further out into the Genny and try the depths there with a little more control.

If you can get your arse up early you're welcome to join me next Saturday. I leave around 5:30. I usually put in 2-3 hrs and head home.

Almost forgot. This was the smallie I caught on Raquette Lake. Just a great day of fishing (either those lakes are coming back strong or we're starting to figuring them out, probably both).

post-1429-0-39857300-1441509031_thumb.jpg

It was a decent enough fish, but you can see I'm trying to show my nephews how to make it look bigger by holding it closer to the camera. The only downside is that it make you look like a fiddler crab.

Almost forgot. This was the smallie I caught on Raquette Lake. Just a great day of fishing (either those lakes are coming back strong or we're starting to figuring them out, probably both).

RL SM.jpg

It was a decent enough fish, but you can see I'm trying to show my nephews how to make it look bigger by holding it closer to the camera. The only downside is that it make you look like a fiddler crab.

Nice catch Swamp!!

• 2 weeks later...

As excited as I am for you, I am even more excited for the dog. He has been waiting for this, man. Isn't it great how pumped they get?

Didn't get out but got out this afternoon. He was pumped when he saw my hunting buddy pull into the driveway. I was teasing him with my hand on the doorknob and he was sitting there whining. We did some scouting farther up Lake Winnipeg today than we usually go to at a promising looking little area provided you had the right wind.

Then we came back 15 miles south and launched the boat again and got into "gadwall alley" with low water and losing water as well. We weren't set up until 530 and came ho me with 1 BW Teal and 1 GW teal and 8 mallards. Dog got them all but one. Unloaded and started pulling the boat out with my buddy still in the boat and 6 BIG Canadas landed with our dekes (20 yards away). Oh well. Great to get out and pull the trigger. Ruffed grouse tomorrow. I love this time of year!

Edited by Ducky

The pup turned 7 this year. You can't tell but he is FULL of burrs.

The better half spent over an hour getting them out.

This was my hunting partner's spot (Erika in the pic) and it produced despite the warm climes. Had we not waited until legal shooting time, we would have been out of there early. Probably going back to that spot on Saturday morning so he will be full of burrs again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.