ROR Impaired Driving Charges Dismissed

Brawndo

Do you happen to know if Canada differentiates between DUI and DWI? I was under the impression they did, and only being charged with DUI does not suggest a blow much higher than 08.

I've seen this asked a few times. I'm not sure but I know NYS it's DWI and DWAI. DUI is used in other states. I think every state but NY uses DUI.

Edited by inkman

http://www.dui.ca/ontario.phpdon't know if this helps explain anything or not ( was bored last night, called a Canadian officer that I had training with years ago and he suggested this sight). 

Can I go to Jail?

First offenders serve no jail time; however, a second impaired driving conviction will result in a 30 day jail sentence, and all subsequent offenses will merit a 120 day sentence.

For leaving the scene:

Officer has two choices (the way I took our conversation, it is the officer's choice at the scene - but I have to believe the Canadian "DA" would be the final decision). The first choice is "Failure to Remain" - this is a crimes code that is province specific (Ontario Crimes Code) and carries a fine from $400 to $2,000 - a 6 month prison sent. or both.

second option - "Failure to Stop" is a Canadian Crimes Code and is much worse penalty wise. (Usually) that charge is only brought when there is injury or death - not just minor property damage.

So the lowest (and most common) penalty for "failure to remain" - $400 fine, is LESS than underage drinking in PA is - $500 fine, loss of license. 

I truly believe this will be nothing more than ROR needing to carpool for a while. 

http://www.dui.ca/ontario.phpdon't know if this helps explain anything or not ( was bored last night, called a Canadian officer that I had training with years ago and he suggested this sight). 

Can I go to Jail?

First offenders serve no jail time; however, a second impaired driving conviction will result in a 30 day jail sentence, and all subsequent offenses will merit a 120 day sentence.

For leaving the scene:

Officer has two choices (the way I took our conversation, it is the officer's choice at the scene - but I have to believe the Canadian "DA" would be the final decision). The first choice is "Failure to Remain" - this is a crimes code that is province specific (Ontario Crimes Code) and carries a fine from $400 to $2,000 - a 6 month prison sent. or both.

second option - "Failure to Stop" is a Canadian Crimes Code and is much worse penalty wise. (Usually) that charge is only brought when there is injury or death - not just minor property damage.

So the lowest (and most common) penalty for "failure to remain" - $400 fine, is LESS than underage drinking in PA is - $500 fine, loss of license. 

I truly believe this will be nothing more than ROR needing to carpool for a while. 

Thank you for the legwork and information!!  

Haven't done that. I have accidentally drank my own spitter, and punched my rolled up window trying to ash a cigarette. Good times

I once left a worn out pair of cowboy boots in the middle of a road during a drunken walk with a buddy of mine because they were hurting my feet. Two years later I was at a friend's house and there were some people there I'd never met. We were telling drinking stories and my buddy told the one about my boots. One of the guy's eyes got very wide and he ran outside. When he came back in he was holding my boots.

It turns out he had left his apartment very early in the morning that night I left my boots in the road. He had picked them up and put them in his car's trunk and they'd stayed there since. Until that night I got them back.

I've forgotten more drunken inkman stories than probably most posters combined. Not exactly proud of any of it. My culmination was flipping my car twice. No injuries minus a fence, a tree and a Honda prelude.

Edited by inkman

A coworker and I ended up behind the bar backstage at Kenny Chesney at CMAC. My company makes Blue Chair Bay Rum so he treated us to the concert. Met him, got a photo, shook his hand. So we ended up making drinks for everyone during the opening acts because we didn't really care about them. I poured so much rum into one dudes drink, his knees buckled as he sipped it walking away. He came back and we cut his drink in half. Good times.

I've forgotten more drunken inkman stories than probably most posters combined. Not exactly proud of any of it. My culmination was flipping my car twice. No injuries minus a fence, a tree and a Honda prelude.

Between 1976 and 1993 I probably could have given a run for your money. Of course, I attribute most of that to first dating, then marrying, a crazy half Indian, half Italian girl. Fun times, more fun times and some really bad but kind of fun times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.