The Ryan O'Reilly super thread 2015!!!

LGR4GM

As in Zadorov or Zemgus/ 2016 1st/ and Baptiste type painful?

As in (Risto or Zemgus) plus (Zadorov or Pysyk) plus (Griggy or McCabe).

FWIW, I don't think GMTM will give up next year's #1 because he knows there's a real chance that it's a top-5 pick.

FWIW, I don't think GMTM will give up next year's #1 because he knows there's a real chance that it's a top-5 pick.

That package would give me an aneurysm. RoR is not worth anywhere near that to me. 

That package would give me an aneurysm. RoR is not worth anywhere near that to me. 

I fully expect an outbreak of aneurysms if the Sabres get ROR.  But having seen the way GMTM plays ball, would anyone be surprised if the price were that high?

I fully expect an outbreak of aneurysms if the Sabres get ROR.  But having seen the way GMTM plays ball, would anyone be surprised if the price were that high?

I don't like it more for the contract than the actual player. We lose a lot of our young cheap RFA contract for a big market-rate signing

If that is the price for Hamilton, what does that say about the price for O'Reilly?

Given the RFA vs UFA situations, wouldn't you think Hamilton would cost more?

I know Boston has no room for O'Reilly, but isn't Hamilton exactly what the Avs would want for him?

Doesn't Calgary already have a strong blue line?

Didn't they already sign O'Reilly once?

Well, I think at the end of the day ROR won't be traded until the acquiror knows it has an extension in place, so I think that mitigates the UFA/RFA distinction.  And a really good center is probably more valuable than a really good defenseman.  But that is a very interesting observation on Calgary and ROR.

No way we pick top 5 next year IMO.  and even if we did what are we going to do with that pick.. We would be better off with RoR as the team will be hitting its stride and established players would be more useful

I know Boston has no room for O'Reilly, but isn't Hamilton exactly what the Avs would want for him?

Doesn't Calgary already have a strong blue line?

Didn't they already sign O'Reilly once?

Allegedly they want a left shot to play with Erik Johnson, but Hamilton would have to be intriguing. The real question is whether they'd be willing to pony up to his salary demands, and I have my doubts on that front.

No way we pick top 5 next year IMO.  and even if we did what are we going to do with that pick.. We would be better off with RoR as the team will be hitting its stride and established players would be more useful

I don't think the Sabres will pick that high next year either, but it's certainly possible, and 6-10 is reasonably likely.  Either way, I don't think GMTM will trade next year's #1.  (Of course, WTH do I know?)

I don't think the Sabres will pick that high next year either, but it's certainly possible, and 6-10 is reasonably likely.  Either way, I don't think GMTM will trade next year's #1.  (Of course, WTH do I know?)

I think we will  be a surprise team and we will squeak in the playoffs.  And I do think next years 1st is completely on the table for the right player.

If RoR can be had then next years 1st is most definitely in play IMO, better next years 1st then another prime piece that is already in our system and ready to contribute this year

Edited by ddaryl

I think we will  be a surprise team and we will squeak in the playoffs.  And I do think next years 1st is completely on the table for the right player

OK -- let's keep track of this one (trading the draft pick, not making the playoffs, which I expect we'll be tracking anyway).  Bragging rights at stake here.

OK -- let's keep track of this one (trading the draft pick, not making the playoffs, which I expect we'll be tracking anyway).  Bragging rights at stake here.

Right on.. I'm just an optimist and I like what the Sabres have on paper with Kane and Bogosian and now Lehner added. Add a 2 way player like RoR to this mix and what is not to like. Thats a team ready to make a significant step up IMO

Edited by ddaryl

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but does anyone else think the Lehner trade might have been a result of the O'Reilly price being too high?

I don't. I doubt pick 21 was going to make or break that trade.

We have enough moveable chips of similar value: Pysyk, next year's first, Grigorenko, and 31 are a few.

I don't. I doubt pick 21 was going to make or break that trade.

We have enough moveable chips of similar value: Pysyk, next year's first, Grigorenko, and 31 are a few.

I misspoke. I mean that Colorado wanted so much more besides 21, that Murray thought it wouldn't get done and decided to pull the trigger on Lehner