OT: BB King RIP

X. Benedict

I got to see BB King a few times over the years. He never disappointed. 

Sad to see he has passed at the age of 89. Years ago I had a friend call me from the Kingston Mines where he went to see a John Lee Hooker show and BB King just showed up to share the stage. Cell phone technology was fairly new then, but for a few minutes I got to listen in on a dream come true. (though honestly, I couldn't really make a thing out, it was a pretty cool call). 

The King is dead. Long live the King. 

Edited by X. Benedict

Saw BB, Buddy and George Benson togethor at Buddy's Legends here in Chicago. Like watching three virtuosos at a backyard Bbq. Rest in peace.

Who's the best blues man left? Probably Buddy Guy, right? I'm paying the 60 bucks to see him next time he's in town; I missed out on BB but I won't make that mistake again.

Eric Clapton is pretty good. Edited by 3putt

Saw BB, Buddy and George Benson togethor at Buddy's Legends here in Chicago. Like watching three virtuosos at a backyard Bbq. Rest in peace.

Eric Clapton is pretty good.

Probably Buddy, Clapton, and Derek Trucks. Also, I cannot express how jealous I am of seeing that lineup.

Saw BB several times over the past 15 years, thinking each time would be the last one!

One of the all time greats, and we are lucky we had him so long.

Makes me think of the good old days when I saw and drunkenly danced to Muddy Waters and his band at the Belle Star in the south towns...

It was awesome!!

Eric Clapton is pretty good.

THAT'S CRAZY!!!!!!

I got to see BB once close to 20 years ago. He's like seeing Bill Cosby on stage....a hall of fame story teller.

Probably Buddy, Clapton, and Derek Trucks. Also, I cannot express how jealous I am of seeing that lineup.

The greatest thing about that show is they were all sitting on stage stools and would talk between songs about Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson and others and then would go "did you see the Wolf at Shirley's in 57? Smoke stack like ive never heard adn then they would rip into it.  Incredible evening.

Bonamassa is pretty darn good too and he's not even old yet.

+1.  Great show at the Vic here a couple of years ago.  Now he sells out much bigger venues.

Sonny Landreth is another top notch player.  A must see.

Figured I'd share my BB King story.

Back when I was about 14, I was part of a state wide invitational music program that sent a concert band and choir all around Europe over the summer. It was a fascinating time, ending in my being strip searched in Amsterdam and accused of possible terrorism... But that's another story.

One of our stops had us stay in Champery, Switzerland. We went to Zugspitze to see the Matterhorn, and then went to Geneva to play another concert/see some castles and such. Gorgeous lake. The bluest water I've ever seen. Well, we ended up in Montreux and the Montreux Jazz Festival was underway.

A couple of my friends and I ducked into a big tent for a moment to get out of the sun. There, at the back of the tent, sitting in a chair and tuning his guitar, was BB King. He laughed and said "hello ladies" with a big smile. I panicked, the other girls panicked, the security guards just kinda looked at us, we stammered some apologies and backed out of that tent pronto. 

I sadly didn't get to see him play that day- we were due on the bus to head out shortly after. It didn't really register until I was sitting on the bus that yes, that WAS BB King, and I'd made a complete arse of myself. But I'm glad I have the story. Remains a nice little gem of that trip for me. 

I'm deep in blues mode today. Howlin' Wolf, Lead Belly, Fred McDowell (there's a painting I did of him on my website if you're interested), Lightnin' Hopkins, Blind Willie Johnson, Son House....

If you like art and blues, I recommend getting R. Crumb's book Heroes of Blues, Jazz and Country. I'm a descendant of Jimmie Rodgers, the yodelin' singin' brakeman. Grew up with old country, fell in love with blues.

Heaven is having a great concert tonight. 

Figured I'd share my BB King story.

Back when I was about 14, I was part of a state wide invitational music program that sent a concert band and choir all around Europe over the summer. It was a fascinating time, ending in my being strip searched in Amsterdam and accused of possible terrorism... But that's another story.

One of our stops had us stay in Champery, Switzerland. We went to Zugspitze to see the Matterhorn, and then went to Geneva to play another concert/see some castles and such. Gorgeous lake. The bluest water I've ever seen. Well, we ended up in Montreux and the Montreux Jazz Festival was underway.

A couple of my friends and I ducked into a big tent for a moment to get out of the sun. There, at the back of the tent, sitting in a chair and tuning his guitar, was BB King. He laughed and said "hello ladies" with a big smile. I panicked, the other girls panicked, the security guards just kinda looked at us, we stammered some apologies and backed out of that tent pronto. 

I sadly didn't get to see him play that day- we were due on the bus to head out shortly after. It didn't really register until I was sitting on the bus that yes, that WAS BB King, and I'd made a complete arse of myself. But I'm glad I have the story. Remains a nice little gem of that trip for me. 

I'm deep in blues mode today. Howlin' Wolf, Lead Belly, Fred McDowell (there's a painting I did of him on my website if you're interested), Lightnin' Hopkins, Blind Willie Johnson, Son House....

If you like art and blues, I recommend getting R. Crumb's book Heroes of Blues, Jazz and Country. I'm a descendant of Jimmie Rodgers, the yodelin' singin' brakeman. Grew up with old country, fell in love with blues.

Heaven is having a great concert tonight. 

Thanks for these gems. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.