Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

Murray's a joke. He just a loud mouth d-bag who acts like he has accomplished so much more then he has already in this league.

your mad because the league is supposed to reward teams for losing, and even worse, intentionally removing all the talent from your team in order to make them bad so you can get the top pick, even though your front office has all the assets available for you to rebuild without having to go through this suffering.

Time to shut up and get to work acquiring talent and show your able to do more then just sell off assetts

I didn't see a different Murray at this presser.

I think this is just fans starting to form concrete opinions on his personality.

He didn't call a press conference to shoot his mouth off.

He's responding to questions he'd rather not have to answer.

Some apparently wish he were more like Ted Black or Russ Brandon. I like his frankness.

Edited by dudacek

Unless Eichel has been living on a deserted Island, he knows the entire hockey world thinks he's the second best in this draft.

And he also knows that 29 teams would be thrilled to have him.  Except Buffalo has the one GM that made last night about himself and his frustration, and not about the player we're going to land and the team's future.  If you're Jack Eichel, and you've been hyped for years, that would be a bizarre change of pace.

And he also knows that 29 teams would be thrilled to have him.  Except Buffalo has the one GM that made last night about himself and his frustration, and not about the player we're going to land and the team's future.  If you're Jack Eichel, and you've been hyped for years, that would be a bizarre change of pace.

Don't give us your real opinion Tim. Frame the narrative.

Don't give us your real opinion Tim. Frame the narrative.

Discretion is the better part of valor.  And Tim's real opinion isn't going to help us in any way.

Buffalo still has a chance to show they want Eichel by actually drafting him.

Will Murray still be upset by then?  Should we just let Kevin Devine go to the podium instead?

Discretion is the better part of valor.  And Tim's real opinion isn't going to help us in any way.

Will Murray still be upset by then?  Should we just let Kevin Devine go to the podium instead?

I expect Murray, once he picks a player, will be excited about that player. And until then, he will be mad that the NHL is so f*cking dumb that Edmonton is picking first again. 

I expect Murray, once he picks a player, will be excited about that player. And until then, he will be mad that the NHL is so f*cking dumb that Edmonton is picking first again. 

The NHL doesn't care what Tim Murray thinks.  And I really hope Tim Murray isn't dumb enough to think he was making a difference in future league policy with his comments last night.  If he is, we're in trouble.

The NHL doesn't care what Tim Murray thinks.  And I really hope Tim Murray isn't dumb enough to think he was making a difference in future league policy with his comments last night.  If he is, we're in trouble.

The NHL should care. If they think people are pissed now, how about next year when Edmonton finishes 24th and drafts 1st again because they shifted the odds? 

The NHL should care. If they think people are pissed now, how about next year when Edmonton finishes 24th and drafts 1st again because they shifted the odds? 

How many different ways can I say this? Here's another.  The GM of the last place team by design, complaining about the system because he isn't picking first,... means that the system is working.

GMTM, shut up and pick second. You knew the rules going in.

They should.  They should care that players are suffering brain injuries from cheap shots.  They should care that their point system makes no sense to casual fans.  They should care that scoring is way down in the league, and that interference is basically back to pre-2005 levels.

But they don't.  And Buffalo's GM spouting off last night won't make them.

Edmonton winning again sucks, but they've benefitted from a league that rewards sucking.  Had the new 2016 lottery rules been in place these last 10 years, Edmonton probably would have fewer 1st overall picks now.

And, actually, yes it was an ad hominem attack because he made a point about me and not the point I was making.  That's literally the definition of ad hominem.  And the whole "are you just going to complain now?" point doesn't make sense either since, unlike our GM, I'm thrilled we're getting Jack Eichel and didn't mind losing the lottery this year.  So if your argument is that I just complain about everything, maybe you need to try a little harder.

He didn't impugn your character or slam your mother, he asked about your behavior on the board.  That's not ad hominem.  But whatever, let's move on.

You've been complaining a lot lately.  Not that you care, but I've been trying to move on past the negativism of some posters here.  But again... time to move on.

How many different ways can I say this? Here's another.  The GM of the last place team by design, complaining about the system because he isn't picking first,... means that the system is working.

And the odds.  Last night's outcome shouldn't have taken anyone by surprise.

He didn't impugn your character or slam your mother, he asked about your behavior on the board.  That's not ad hominem.  But whatever, let's move on.

You've been complaining a lot lately.  Not that you care, but I've been trying to move on past the negativism of some posters here.  But again... time to move on.

I would say asking if I'm just complaining because I like to complain about everything actually *is* a comment on my character since it implies I'm not making my arguments in good faith.  It implies I'm just looking for attention by being a contrarian or a troll.  It's an attempt to discredit my argument because of who is making it, or why they're making it.

You can PM me and let me know what else I've been complaining about so much.

The system isn't working. Edmonton is back at it again. This isn't a difficult concept. There's no way in hell Edmonton should have gotten this much out of the draft lottery, and yet here we are. And now they've made it even easier for them to do it again by making it possible for less terrible teams to have a better shot. So all the have to do next season is improve marginally and they'll be right back in the running for #1 again. That's f*cked up. 

I'm calling it.  This was not said by General Manager Tim Murray

#Sabres gm Tim Murray. "I'm disappointed for our fans."

No one has any context to the quote and no one can find where Murray said this. The Reporter from the Toronto Sun is full of until I am proven otherwise. This quote is bogus.

That said, I don't give a what Murray says in April. I care what he says on June 26th. Wake me up then.

The system isn't working. Edmonton is back at it again. This isn't a difficult concept. There's no way in hell Edmonton should have gotten this much out of the draft lottery, and yet here we are. And now they've made it even easier for them to do it again by making it possible for less terrible teams to have a better shot. So all the have to do next season is improve marginally and they'll be right back in the running for #1 again. That's f*cked up. 

Look here is how you deter tanking.

Bottom 8 teams are in the lottery which is weighted so that last place gets 33% chance and then declines sharply from there. No team can pick #1 2 consecutive years.  You can only slide 1 spot. And that solves that. 

Because it doesnt' matter what he wanted. He got #2 and should have expressed his excitement that we're in a good position for the future, both for the sake of the player and the sake of the city and organization.

His comments last night were stupid and added zero value. Instead of today being all about Buffalo getting ready to welcome Jack Eichel, there's now a subplot about Murray's unhappiness. How stupid is that?

But we're going to and everyone knows that, including Eichel. So don't act like your wife just left you because you lost the lottery.

Of course he does. Every time he plays the Bills, he goes all the way down the Bills' roster and praises every player. It's all BS, but he knows not to say anything that will cause trouble leading up to the game.

He's the master of saying a bunch of nonsense and keeping his thoughts to himself. I'd prefer that in a coach/GM.

Have you see any Belichick pressers following a tough loss? He's a giant douche to the media. Look no further than his "on to Cleveland" charade following the KC game this past season.

I'm calling it.  This was not said by General Manager Tim Murray

#Sabres gm Tim Murray. "I'm disappointed for our fans."

No one has any context to the quote and no one can find where Murray said this. The Reporter from the Toronto Sun is full of ###### until I am proven otherwise. This quote is bogus.

That said, I don't give a ###### what Murray says in April. I care what he says on June 26th. Wake me up then.

Look here is how you deter tanking.

Bottom 8 teams are in the lottery which is weighted so that last place gets 33% chance and then declines sharply from there. No team can pick #1 2 consecutive years.  You can only slide 1 spot. And that solves that. 

Now we're talking. I'd go as far as having teams that have picked first in the last 3 years disqualified from being able to obtain the #1 pick again during a normal rebuild cycle. The best you can do the next three years after picking #1 is #2. Make each draft lotto dependent on previous results. 

Have you see any Belichick pressers following a tough loss? He's a giant douche to the media. Look no further than his "on to Cleveland" charade following the KC game this past season.

Being a douche to the media and giving the media quotes that they can distort are two completely different things.  

So you are just butt hurt (to use your word) over who won, not whether or not the system worked, right?

I wonder if all the teams that are still playing give a rat's fart about all of this nonsense.

And he also knows that 29 teams would be thrilled to have him. Except Buffalo has the one GM that made last night about himself and his frustration, and not about the player we're going to land and the team's future. If you're Jack Eichel, and you've been hyped for years, that would be a bizarre change of pace.

29 other GMs didn't vote against the lottery changes, finish last, and lose the lottery, so it's hard to say how all of them would have reacted. Secondly, nothing indicates Murray isn't thrilled to have Eichel...he'd just rather have McDavid, like 29 other GMs would. After all, he did call Eichel a franchise changing player in the lead up to the lottery.

Being a douche to the media and giving the media quotes that they can distort are two completely different things.

Sure, but the debate is about professionalism being related to team building.

So you are just butt hurt (to use your word) over who won, not whether or not the system worked, right?

I wonder if all the teams that are still playing give a rat's fart about all of this nonsense.

The system didn't work. No system that allows a team this many #1 picks is working. You can't just say it's working when it very obviously isn't. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.