Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

I'm usually an "everything is calculated" guy — that is, Murray knew what he was saying and why. I doubt Murray is that calculated. There's just no filter between mouth and brain.

But, if he wanted to be calculating, it could have gone one of two ways. 1. Start beating the drum last night that Eichel will be as good as McDavid and we're just as happy to get him as we would have been with McDavid. Fire up the competition between the two even more. 2. Say what he said. We got the consolation prize. We didn't get the best player. Poke the Bahstan Bay-uh before he even gets he-ah. Get the juices flowing in the kid.

I doubt it was some kind of advanced psychological ploy. Murray just being Timmy Downer.

I'm usually an "everything is calculated" guy — that is, Murray knew what he was saying and why. I doubt Murray is that calculated. There's just no filter between mouth and brain.

But, if he wanted to be calculating, it could have gone one of two ways. 1. Start beating the drum last night that Eichel will be as good as McDavid and we're just as happy to get him as we would have been with McDavid. Fire up the competition between the two even more. 2. Say what he said. We got the consolation prize. We didn't get the best player. Poke the Bahstan Bay-uh before he even gets he-ah. Get the juices flowing in the kid.

I doubt it was some kind of advanced psychological ploy. Murray just being Timmy Downer.

As far as he's concerned we haven't even picked anyone yet. He just wanted first overall out of principle. It's the idea of having a choice vs being beholden to Edmonton and whoever they pick.

He doesn't like being second place to a team that just keeps falling a** first into number 1 picks. I'd be disappointed too.

As far as he's concerned we haven't even picked anyone yet. He just wanted first overall out of principle. It's the idea of having a choice vs being beholden to Edmonton and whoever they pick.

He doesn't like being second place to a team that just keeps falling a** first into number 1 picks. I'd be disappointed too.

He was disappointed last year too, so it's not like this is a McDavid thing. He just thinks the process sucks.

He was disappointed last year too, so it's not like this is a McDavid thing. He just thinks the process sucks.

See, I thought his beef with the PROcess is that he had to drive to Toronto on a Saturday night and deal with the media.

Yep, time to start making the playoffs so GMTM doesn't have to take part in the process anymore.

This is where I'm at. STFU and build a playoff team. Seriously, it's time for this organization to shut up and put up.

No. He said you always want the best player, not the second-best, in any situation. He wasn't speaking theoretically. He wanted McDavid!

"I feel for our fans" was a cruddy thing to say.

See, I thought his beef with the PROcess is that he had to drive to Toronto on a Saturday night and deal with the media.

This is where I'm at. STFU and build a playoff team. Seriously, it's time for this organization to shut up and put up.

No. He said you always want the best player, not the second-best, in any situation. He wasn't speaking theoretically. He wanted McDavid!

"I feel for our fans" was a cruddy thing to say.

He wanted the first overall pick. I don't think there's any disputing that. Typically you get the best player with that pick.

Eichel understands.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/18/eichel-understands-murrays-disappointment-but-extreme-competitor-has-a-lot-to-offer/

---

Sabres' Tim Murray says that he feels like a Canadian world junior team hopeful who gets called at 6 am and told he's cut

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/589584998631608320

Commenter nails it: how does Eichel feel hearing that from his future GM?

Yeah, GMTM hates the media spotlight. Never lacking for a good quote. For the moment, my opinion of the guy is souring.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Eichel understands.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/18/eichel-understands-murrays-disappointment-but-extreme-competitor-has-a-lot-to-offer/

Sabres' Tim Murray says that he feels like a Canadian world junior team hopeful who gets called at 6 am and told he's cut

Yeah, GMTM hates the media spotlight. Never lacking for a good quote. For the moment, my opinion of the guy is souring.

We love you Jack, don't worry.

I don't care what he says if he brings a Cup to Buffalo.

It's a message forum and not a debate.  And...... that was hardly what I would call an ad hominem attack.  SiZzlEmeIsTEr merely asked if you're going to piss and moan from now on. I'm kind of curious too, because if you are I'll just put you on Ignore and be done with it until there's actual hockey games to talk about again.

If he wins a Cup here, I won't care what he says either.  But since he's been a GM for just over a year and hasn't actually accomplished anything yet, he should probably go ahead and not say stupid things.

And, actually, yes it was an ad hominem attack because he made a point about me and not the point I was making.  That's literally the definition of ad hominem.  And the whole "are you just going to complain now?" point doesn't make sense either since, unlike our GM, I'm thrilled we're getting Jack Eichel and didn't mind losing the lottery this year.  So if your argument is that I just complain about everything, maybe you need to try a little harder.

Eichel understands.

---

Sabres' Murray hopeful team can make playoffs next season as rebuild continues... "will put our best effort toward that"

0 retweets6 favorites
 Retweet
 Favorite6

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/second-coming-sabres-fall-to-no-2-in-draft-eichel-on-teams-radar-20150418

“I feel for our fans,” Murray said. “I mean, we went through a tough year, and I think that they were extremely excited about Connor, certainly because he plays in Erie.”

Murray reaffirmed his belief that the lottery system is not fair for rebuilding teams, saying the worst team should get the No. 1 pick. The league does not agree, because of clear concerns of teams tanking for draft picks. In fact, the rules are tightening for bottom-feeders with the top three choices selected via lottery starting next year.

“It’s not the disappointment in the player. It’s just the process for me,” Murray said. “... It would be fine with me if they phoned me and told me you didn’t win. But this is what they do. Thankfully it’s a short drive from Buffalo. I’d hate like hell to be flying across the country to take part in it. It’s part of what our league does and it’s created a lot of buzz. So I don’t want to be a buzz-kill on this.”

We love you Jack, don't worry.

He has no idea what's in store for him. I don't know what compares in Buffalo sports history. OJ's arrival? Even I'm not old enough to remember that. Perreault? Turgeon? I don't remember any Turgeon Fever per se. Excitement, yes. Modern era, what with social media and all that, this is going to be cray cray. Hell, I was at the first appearance of Grigorenko at the arena, and that was a little wild. Jack is going to hear it and feel it for sure.

Here's the clip of Murray making the (insane) WJC roster comparison and the "I feel for the fans..." quote that is Buccigross was probably misquoting on Twitter last night.  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/murray-compares-draft-lottery-to-not-making-team-canada/

I didn't catch the WJC last night but that's also in the running for dumbest thing he's ever said.  Adding Eichel shouldn't be compared to how devastated a teenager would feel if he found out he wasn't going to play for his country in an international tournament.  I sort of understand why he went there though, because his whole demeanor in interviewers last night was high school kid whose girlfriend just dumped him.

"I feel for the fans..." was moronic as well.  The fans celebrated the night we clinched 30th because it meant Jack Eichel.  He's either completely out of touch with the fans or just using them as an excuse for his own moping.  And either way, just keep it to yourself.  This is the best player you're ever going to draft!

I'm having a tough time convincing people it's ok Sabres didn't win lottery. One reason for that. Murray's comments. Thanks for that.

It's almost like people listen when the GM speaks.  But hopefully Murray feels better after using last night to run his mouth.  His feelings are really the most important thing in this situation.

I really don't understand why anyone is taking this as a slight against Eichel.

Because "we'll make the best of it" isn't the same as "we're excited about who we're going to draft and about this team's future."

Or the bizarre WJC comment.  Or "I feel for the fans..." (the fans already buying Eichel t-shirts, BTW).

Am I to believe Murray was being disingenuous in his effusive praise of Eichel in that presser? As usual, the media are framing a narrative out of context. I'm not surprised some have chosen to agree.

Being disappointed in not landing McDavid does not mean being unhappy about getting Eichel. Not even close.

GO SABRES!!!

Because "we'll make the best of it" isn't the same as "we're excited about who we're going to draft and about this team's future."

Or the bizarre WJC comment. Or "I feel for the fans..." (the fans already buying Eichel t-shirts, BTW).

He wanted the number one pick. He feels finishing in last place and suffering to get there should come with that compensation. It has nothing to do with the players. It's a shot at the league for the irony of their bogus anti-tanking rules accompanied by making the lottery selection some big publicized ordeal.

Am I to believe Murray was being disingenuous in his effusive praise of Eichel in that presser? As usual, the media are framing a narrative out of context. I'm not surprised some have chosen to agree.

Being disappointed in not landing McDavid does not mean being unhappy about getting Eichel. Not even close.

GO SABRES!!!

Yes, this is just the media tricking people.   :rolleyes:  It's certainly not like you can just watch the presser video and see a wildly disappointed man giving bizarre answers to questions and making horrible WJC analogies.

Or the bizarre WJC comment.  Or "I feel for the fans..." (the fans already buying Eichel t-shirts, BTW).

Where did he say this? I've only seen people saying that he said this.

He wanted the number one pick. He feels finishing in last place and suffering to get there should come with that compensation. It has nothing to do with the players. It's a shot at the league for the irony of their bogus anti-tanking rules accompanied by making the lottery selection some big publicized ordeal.

Oh, he was mad at the league?  Who. The ####.  Cares?

He's supposed to be an adult and a professional.  Last night wasn't the right time or place for his airing of grievances.  It was the night Jack Eichel found out he's 99% going to be headed to Buffalo.  And our GM looked like a guy going through a messy divorce.  Is it too much to ask that he acts excited that we're going to draft a generational prospect -- even if only for that prospect's sake?  Or the sake of the fans?

He's representing the team and the city.  Literally nothing he said helped, but he did manage to say a few incredibly thoughtless things.  Instead of saying the right things, he decided his feelings were the most important thing about last night.  It was stupid and unprofessional.

Where did he say this? I've only seen people saying that he said this.

It's in the Sportsnet video link I posted at 10:21am above.  It honestly might be the most damning thing he said last night.  The analogy fails on every level and there's no way you can put a positive spin on it for Eichel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.