The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Didn't sound too happy that his talk about being the best player in the draft in interviews was leaked. 

Yeah - not the slickest move by GM TM, eh?

Loose lips, buddy. First you had to address the "disappointment" thing.

Oh, snap. Just watched it. Eichel ###### SAID he thought it would be kept confidential within the team, and clearly looked put-out that it was leaked.

Jesus. GM TM got a pass (from me) on the disappointment thing - but this is a ###### misstep with your future franchise player. Not a big deal maybe. But amateur hour is over, fella. Get it right.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Oh, snap. Just watched it. Eichel ###### SAID he thought it would be kept confidential within the team, and clearly looked put-out that it was leaked.

Jesus. GM TM got a pass (from me) on the disappointment thing - but this is a ###### misstep with your future franchise player. Not a big deal maybe. But amateur hour is over, fella. Get it right.

Do we even know it was Murray who leaked it? Pretty sure it was in the article from a Boston paper.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Jack Eichel will be fine.  Murray can buy him (under the table) a case of Bud Light.  Or maybe introduce him to Blue Light to blow his fro to the back of the FNC.

I don't mind the public call-out a little bit, actually.  Eichel says he wants to be the best.  GMTM wants him to prove it in the NHL, not the NCAA.  Fair deuce.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Paul H just speculated that it's POSSIBLE that Eichel said this to more teams than just the Sabres, so it isn't necessarily Buffalo messing w/ Eichel's head. Though, can't say how that sentiment by Eichel is a bad thing nor how it's a dis of McDavid. And because of that, not sure how upset Eichel should be about his sentiment becoming public. (Hopefully, it's just a case of a tired kid getting reeaaaally tired of being asked a q about a non-issue.)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/04/jack-eichel-play-critical-role-buffalo-rebuild/KhYlV9y6eZic2UWGTKk0VJ/story.html

Eichel told his questioners, in a respectful but confident manner, that he would be better than Connor McDavid, his Canadian foil.

Who the hell knows what team leaked it, but seeing as he was interviewed by ~10 of them, I think it would be irresponsible to just assume it was Murray. The way the quote is worded makes me think several teams disclosed what Eichel was saying.

Paul H just speculated that it's POSSIBLE that Eichel said this to more teams than just the Sabres, so it isn't necessarily Buffalo messing w/ Eichel's head. Though, can't say how that sentiment by Eichel is a bad thing nor how it's a dis of McDavid. And because of that, not sure how upset Eichel should be about his sentiment becoming public. (Hopefully, it's just a case of a tired kid getting reeaaaally tired of being asked a q about a non-issue.)

Looking at the interview, Eichel looked a bit scrambled, embarrassed when he heard it being put back to him. Not for nothing, there was McDavid with the more polished "not for me to say."

He (Eichel) pretty clearly intimated that he thought that sort of talk would be kept confidential within the team. The Sabres.

Who the hell knows what team leaked it, but seeing as he was interviewed by ~10 of them, I think it would be irresponsible to just assume it was Murray. The way the quote is worded makes me think several teams disclosed what Eichel was saying.

Possibly.

I dunno. He seemed irritated. The remark seemed directed to team. Maybe I'm making too much of it. I just don't like it.

Hearing/seeing him talk about Hannifin (sic) was fun. How his eyes lit up.

Okay. I need an intervention.

Possibly.

I dunno. He seemed irritated. The remark seemed directed to team. Maybe I'm making too much of it. I just don't like it.

Hearing/seeing him talk about Hannifin (sic) was fun. How his eyes lit up.

Okay. I need an intervention.

If it was the Sabres, I don't like it either...but I also don't particularly care. 

If it was the Sabres, I don't like it either...but I also don't particularly care. 

I think that's right, on both counts. Maybe more than anything, he seemed more annoyed that it was being made into an issue. But that's lift under the bright lights, kid.

Once again, McDavid's polishing with the Orr agency keeps him squeaky clean. And that's fine.

Eichel has had PR goofs and slips in the past year, and is having some more now. And that's also fine. I've said before: I like that he's less canned and more honest.

The WGR question specifically quoted the Boston article, which didn't quote sources but said interviewed by several teams respectfully telling questioners (plural). I think Eichel is miffed because he doesn't want to come across as cocky.

Yet another kid who won't be opening up to reporters.

Edited by dudacek

The WGR question specifically quoted the Boston article, which didn't quote sources but said interviewed by several teams respectfully telling questioners (plural). I think Eichel is miffed because he doesn't want to come across as cocky.

Yet another kid who won't be opening up to reporters.

Right. In responding to the question (that quoted the article), Murray confirmed that Eichel said as much when speaking with the Sabres. At a minimum, that took it from sourced rumour in an article to a confirmed fact. 

My sense is that Eichel's remark on "confidential within the team" was directed to the Sabres.

After listening to both Eichel interviews from today, my opinion is that any irritation he may have about his remark getting out barely registers. He himself said the remark is not a bad thing at all; it's a good thing. If he's miffed at anything, I think it's the incessant media that tends to make bigger deals out of things. He pointed to another example of that when he was asked about his earlier remarks about not wanting to play in a place he doesn't want to be next year. The media implied it was about being selected by a team he didn't want to play for, when it really was about where his heart might be at, either in the NHL or back in college. 

I agree with Hamilton's take and that is that both he and McDavid are simply weary from having had to answer the same kinds of questions over and over and over again. 

I also agree with Hamilton's impression that Eichel is more mature than McDavid when it comes to dealing with the media. Perhaps a better word to use would be savvy, instead. Eichel projects more of an air of confidence in his answers than McDavid at this stage. It's another thing I like about him, too. 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Any video online I see of the Sabres in a pre interview meeting has Mike Gilbert coaching them what to say.

Is anyone else working on things with them?

I believe it was the Oilers. Pretty sure I heard he interviewed with them first. And also, I agree with and don't particularly care. These kids, all of them will realize they arte dealing with a lot of snakes as they progress and that anything they say can and will be used against them. Hell, even Marshawn Lynch learned his lesson and attended the pressers just so he don't get fined.

I believe it was the Oilers. Pretty sure I heard he interviewed with them first. And also, I agree with and don't particularly care. These kids, all of them will realize they arte dealing with a lot of snakes as they progress and that anything they say can and will be used against them. Hell, even Marshawn Lynch learned his lesson and attended the pressers just so he don't get fined.

Oilers, eh?

Sorry for the freak-out, Mr. Murray. The prospect of Eichel (and Reinhart) is making me emotional.