So what if the Sabres get the first two picks in 2015....

dejeanneret

If Sabres get 1st overall pick they draft McDavid.

Murray then trades the following:

Mikhail Grigorenko

Marcus Foligno

Nikita Zadorov

Hudson Fasching

Islanders  1st round pick 2015

Sabres  1st in 2016 (Potential lottery pick if they don't make playoffs)

For

Jack Eichel

Sign Free Agents RW Michael Frolik, RW Chris Stewart, and D Justin Schultz

Possible Line combinations

Kane (23)-  McDavid (19) - Girgensen (21)

Ennis (25)-  Eichel (19)-  Frolik (27)

Moulson (31)- Reinhart (19)- Gionta (36)

Deslauriers (24)- Larsson (22)- Stewart (27)

Defense

Risto  (20)- Gorges (30)

Schultz (24)- Bogosian (24)

McCabe (21) - Pysyk (23)

Weber (27)

Too much for Eichel?  Not enough?  Too much youth?

I think our top two lines would be set for the next 5 years, and they would all grow together.

Plus farm hands such as Baptiste and Compher would eventually replace Gionta & Moulson.

I think with a little tinkering it could be pulled off.  But would we want to...

Edited by dejeanneret

Not even close to enough for Eichel.

The quantity seems right, the quality is off. At the very least 2 of Zemgus/Ennis/Risto must be part of the deal.

Point's moot anyways.  Neither the 1st or 2nd pick is going to be traded in the 2015 draft.

Not so fast on the last point.

Let's say Boston wins the Lottery they might trade the 1st for our 2nd if the Sabres add a little extra. 

Boston would get the hometown boy Eichel and maybe another great player and/or pick which makes up for the difference between Eichel and McDavid.

It's not that impossible. However one team ending up with 1st and 2nd this year is not likely whatsoever...

Edited by Peppy22

Mikhail Grigorenko

Marcus Foligno

Nikita Zadorov

Hudson Fasching

Islanders 1st round pick 2015

Sabres 1st in 2016 (Potential lottery pick if they don't make playoffs)

For

Jack Eichel

Kane (23)- McDavid (19) - Girgensen (21)

Ennis (25)- Eichel (19)- Frolik (27)

Defense

Risto (20)- Gorges (30)

McCabe (21) - Pysyk (23)

Weber (27)

Too much for Eichel? Not enough? Too much youth?

I think our top two lines would be set for the next 5 years, and they would all grow together.

Plus farm hands such as Baptiste and Compher would eventually replace Gionta & Moulson.

I think with a little tinkering it could be pulled off. But would we want to...

No thanks. I don't make that trade. If we get McDavid you keep what we have and go from there. I see no point in a 6 assets for 1 deal after you already have McDavid and Reinhart as your centers of the future. Plus eventually your going to have pay these guys HUGE contracts.

On the flip side I would do Grigorenko, Zadarov, and Isles 1st for O'Reilly. Then your picking up some veteran presence. Grigs is expendable, Zadarov worries me, and the late first is no big deal. The O'Reilly deal would be contingent on a contract in place something similar to 7 for 42-45 million.

Edited by sicknfla

Mikhail Grigorenko

Marcus Foligno

Nikita Zadorov

Hudson Fasching

For

Jack Eichel

Defense

Risto  (20)- Gorges (30)

McCabe (21) - Pysyk (23)

Weber (27)

I think with a little tinkering it could be pulled off.  But would we want to...

You'll likely have to replace Grigorenko, Foligno and Fasching with Reinhart, Pysyk and another highly rated prospect just to get Phoenix to even consider moving the pick..

If another team lands the 1st pick and Arizona drops to the 3rd pick? I can see Arizona willing to flip that pick for a package of assets.  

in the spirit of Sam Reinhart will be fine there's this.  In general I think folks here do tend to criminally underrate the score we made as a result of the 2014 tank. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/reinhart--ehlers-and-nylander-lead-scouts--take-on-top-10-nhl-drafted-prospects-031436409.html

in the spirit of Sam Reinhart will be fine there's this.  In general I think folks here do tend to criminally underrate the score we made as a result of the 2014 tank. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/reinhart--ehlers-and-nylander-lead-scouts--take-on-top-10-nhl-drafted-prospects-031436409.html

He's gonna be - uh - real good methinks. The top forward selected usually is.

Also, don't let NS see this, as they have Ehlers ranked #2 behind Reinhart. Seems all his shouting wasn't for nothing.

Boy that would be great and if it happened we might be set for the next 15 years. 

we are set for the next 15 year - Eichel and Reinhart.  TSN replayed the final game of the WJC last night - watched the last 10 minutes and Reinhart was fantastic.  Last two minutes of the game - not sure he left the ice, took every important draw and set up Duclair beautifully for an empty netter where the D made a big save.

we are set for the next 15 year - Eichel and Reinhart.  TSN replayed the final game of the WJC last night - watched the last 10 minutes and Reinhart was fantastic.  Last two minutes of the game - not sure he left the ice, took every important draw and set up Duclair beautifully for an empty netter where the D made a big save.

Yep. Barring another "Black Sunday" in free agency, the Sabres should be comfortably in the playoffs every year.

No thanks. I don't make that trade. If we get McDavid you keep what we have and go from there. I see no point in a 6 assets for 1 deal after you already have McDavid and Reinhart as your centers of the future. Plus eventually your going to have pay these guys HUGE contracts.

On the flip side I would do Grigorenko, Zadarov, and Isles 1st for O'Reilly. Then your picking up some veteran presence. Grigs is expendable, Zadarov worries me, and the late first is no big deal. The O'Reilly deal would be contingent on a contract in place something similar to 7 for 42-45 million.

Hurray! I agree with you on something :)

So for the flip side, are you assuming that we have Eichel? While that price doesn't seem like enough, O'Reilly only has one year left on his contract so maybe that's about right. I'm not sure it's "legal" to have an agreement with a player/agent ahead of time (although I'm sure it happens). The problem I worry about is, based on past history, ROR is going to want some exorbitant amount of money to re-sign, I'd guess $8M. he's good, but is he *that* good?

So for the flip side, are you assuming that we have Eichel? While that price doesn't seem like enough, O'Reilly only has one year left on his contract so maybe that's about right. I'm not sure it's "legal" to have an agreement with a player/agent ahead of time (although I'm sure it happens). The problem I worry about is, based on past history, ROR is going to want some exorbitant amount of money to re-sign, I'd guess $8M. he's good, but is he *that* good?

The player's current team can grant permission to speak to the agent before the trade is made. Would they do that? If it could help them get more in return, probably. I also think O'Reilly will sign in the $6.5-7 million range long term. Hell, of the Avs weren't on an internal budget structured around Duchene's contract, he'd probably already be locked up long term at $6.5MM.

Mikhail Grigorenko

Marcus Foligno

Nikita Zadorov

Hudson Fasching

For

Jack Eichel

Defense

Risto  (20)- Gorges (30)

McCabe (21) - Pysyk (23)

Weber (27)

What are you drinking?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.