So what if the Sabres get the first two picks in 2015....

dejeanneret

Kane & Toews?

Malkin & Crosby?

Chicago is going to be hurting soon when their contracts kick in, and they've been getting rid of all their prospects for years.

Nothing really needs to be said about Pittsburgh, relatively speaking they are a total failure. 

Chicago is going to be hurting soon when their contracts kick in, and they've been getting rid of all their prospects for years.

Nothing really needs to be said about Pittsburgh, relatively speaking they are a total failure.

Chicago has down a great job of managing their cap so far although the Canadien dollar could do them in this time.

Pittsburgh's problems are more about their failure to fill the rest of the roster and some costly injuries. Crosby and Malkin are not the problem.

Edited by tom webster

Chicago has down a great job of managing their cap so far although the Canadien dollar could do them in this time.

Pittsburgh's problems are more about their failure to fill the rest of the roster and some costly injuries. Crosby and Malkin are not the problem.

I agree, Chicago has done a good job so far. (Although they have no prospects left). But the contracts haven't kicked in yet. Wait until the need to fill the rest of the team out when Kane/Toews are making $37mil/yr each. 

Pittsburgh hasn't been able to fill out their roster because they haven't had the cap space. I don't know the specifics but their top 5 players take up well over half of the cap. 

I just don't see a definite advantage in having two elite players on the roster. But, that's just my opinion.  ;)

I agree, Chicago has done a good job so far. (Although they have no prospects left). But the contracts haven't kicked in yet. Wait until the need to fill the rest of the team out when Kane/Toews are making $37mil/yr each.

Pittsburgh hasn't been able to fill out their roster because they haven't had the cap space. I don't know the specifics but their top 5 players take up well over half of the cap.

I just don't see a definite advantage in having two elite players on the roster. But, that's just my opinion. ;)

Chicago has two Cups and will still be a top contender for years to come. And by the way, they still have a couple of top prospects although losing Kevin Hayes for nothing hurt. Pittsburgh has just butchered their roster and it has had little to do with its top two guys. Poor choices in goal, on defense and on the bottom 6 or more telling and it's not like they won't contend for a few more years either.

Chicago drafted and stashed a lot of players in the NCAA. Rockford is loaded and they just nabbed one of the best college fa. To quote Lgr Chicago will be fine. They win a cup this year they will purge the roster and make room for farmhands. This is exactly what I hope GMTM is building.

No thanks. I don't make that trade. If we get McDavid you keep what we have and go from there. I see no point in a 6 assets for 1 deal after you already have McDavid and Reinhart as your centers of the future. Plus eventually your going to have pay these guys HUGE contracts.

On the flip side I would do Grigorenko, Zadarov, and Isles 1st for O'Reilly. Then your picking up some veteran presence. Grigs is expendable, Zadarov worries me, and the late first is no big deal. The O'Reilly deal would be contingent on a contract in place something similar to 7 for 42-45 million.

I have been softening up to this trade, but I would rather package Larsson than Grigorenko. I know Roy is in Colorado and than connection exists, but I think the assets of Larsson, Zadarov and the 1st could fetch O'Reilly. For that little stretch when Larsson played well, I think Grigorenko looked much better during this year-end stint when he looked promising. I think there is a ton more upside to Grigorenko than Larsson. Don't want to give him up. I think he is going to factor in nicely.

I have been softening up to this trade, but I would rather package Larsson than Grigorenko. I know Roy is in Colorado and than connection exists, but I think the assets of Larsson, Zadarov and the 1st could fetch O'Reilly. For that little stretch when Larsson played well, I think Grigorenko looked much better during this year-end stint when he looked promising. I think there is a ton more upside to Grigorenko than Larsson. Don't want to give him up. I think he is going to factor in nicely.

Grigorenko does have a ton more upside and if you actually look at the 2012 draft and the players selected near Grigorenko, you have Zemgus and by my count only 2-3 other players selected after Grigorenko who are making an impact in the NHL.  I would like to see Grigorenko as a Sabre at least until the trade deadline before passing judgement. He probably has one of the best shots on the team at this point. 

in the spirit of Sam Reinhart will be fine there's this.  In general I think folks here do tend to criminally underrate the score we made as a result of the 2014 tank. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/reinhart--ehlers-and-nylander-lead-scouts--take-on-top-10-nhl-drafted-prospects-031436409.html

I don't like thinking of any of these as a single year tank.  The whole thing should be viewed as a whole.This whole thing has netted us McEichel, Reinhart, Kane, and I'll also include Ristolainen/Zadorov too.  This thing has been in motion for a few years now, so there are more names you can add to that list as well, between the 2012 draft and any other prospects added/drafted after we started selling off assets.  No one knows if it will work out, but there sure as hell is a lot more excitement around here than we've had in a long time.

Keep in mind Eichel is a right handed shot.

So moving him to RW is an option:

Possible Line combinations

Kane (23)-  McDavid (19) - Eichel (19)

Ennis (25)-  Reinhart (19) -  Frolik (27)

Moulson (31) - Girgensen (21) - Gionta (36)

Deslauriers (24)- Larsson (22)- Stewart (27)

Imagine putting Kane, McDavid, and Eichel on the same line.

There would be smoke coming out of the ears of Sabres fans across the land. 

Keep in mind Eichel is a right handed shot.

So moving him to RW is an option:

Possible Line combinations

Kane (23)-  McDavid (19) - Eichel (19)

Ennis (25)-  Reinhart (19) -  Frolik (27)

Moulson (31) - Girgensen (21) - Gionta (36)

Deslauriers (24)- Larsson (22)- Stewart (27)

Imagine putting Kane, McDavid, and Eichel on the same line.

There would be smoke coming out of the ears of Sabres fans across the land. 

You are aware that there is no possible way now for us to draft first and second?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.