The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Murray to Ottawa?

I was just about to type that you don't pay a guy six million a year just to coach — or to coach, and have some jack booted thug from State College inform you your franchise goalie has been traded.

President of Hockey Operations and Head Coach Mike Babcock.

I was just about to type that you don't pay a guy six million a year just to coach — or to coach, and have some jack booted thug from State College inform you your franchise goalie has been traded.

Seriously. 

Has there even been such a pairing of positions? What'd GM TM be, then, as a practical matter? Chief scout and an assistant GM?

And if what you're saying is true, and we *don't* manage to grab the hot Babcock, then are the Sabres still cool with GM TM?

I heard Babcock would have already signed already if it wasn't for Battista. I also heard Battista is the reason Jack Eichel is going to spend the next three years at Boston University.

Seriously. 

Has there even been such a pairing of positions? What'd GM TM be, then, as a practical matter? Chief scout and an assistant GM?

And if what you're saying is true, and we *don't* manage to grab the hot Babcock, then are the Sabres still cool with GM TM?

I would think GMTM handles trades and functions as director of scouting. If Babs wants roster input it prob has more to do with calling guys up and retaining players as opposed to draft related things. 

One of the reported beefs Babcock had in DET was no say in who was called up and signing vets. 

I don't see how this automatically means GMTM is gone 

Seriously. 

Well....LaFontaine HIRED Murray, and he got shitcanned.

All these leaks pretty much put questions in everyones' heads. All we have heard for a year was murray loves Richardson. I know Babcock fielding offers wasn't a given, but you have to see the writing on the wall.

Murray would be Babcock's boss and making 25% the salary. His heart is in Ottawa. I still think Babcock's heart is in Detroit. Worst case...Babcock stays in Detroit, Murray knows Pegula would throw him under the bus like an AV Club prom date when a cheerleader is willing to give you a handy in the balcony.....and it is a whole bowl of wrong.

Does anyone here really think Doug Whaley is calling the shots in OP?

Well....LaFontaine HIRED Murray, and he got shitcanned.

All these leaks pretty much put questions in everyones' heads. All we have heard for a year was murray loves Richardson. I know Babcock fielding offers wasn't a given, but you have to see the writing on the wall.

Murray would be Babcock's boss and making 25% the salary. His heart is in Ottawa. I still think Babcock's heart is in Detroit. Worst case...Babcock stays in Detroit, Murray knows Pegula would throw him under the bus like an AV Club prom date when a cheerleader is willing to give you a handy in the balcony.....and it is a whole bowl of wrong.

GMTM is 100% on board with getting Babcock. He'd also be fine with being part of a team running the Sabres. He's already comfortable with Babcock.

This narrative that Tim Murray is a megalomaniac who must exert 100% control with an iron fist is just some nonsense invented by the same few suspects on this board.

You don't pay someone 6m to just coach a team that is probably two years minimum from the playoffs. Pegula has money to burn but he is not dumb. This is getting interesting.

If Babcock was staying in Detroit it would be over by now.

Two years? This team with Babcock could EASILY be battling for an 8 spot this year with one good trade and a tender of Neuvirth's ability

GMTM is 100% on board with getting Babcock. He'd also be fine with being part of a team running the Sabres. He's already comfortable with Babcock.

This narrative that Tim Murray is a megalomaniac who must exert 100% control with an iron fist is just some nonsense invented by the same few suspects on this board.

Ummm where is this coming from or even close to substantiated???

I think the visit to San Jose and Babcock's other due diligence was to see what offers he would receive. He will take (or he took) that to Detroit and presented his market worth. If Detroit is offering a 2-year contract at $3.25M per year, and they don't budge, I don't think he can walk away from that. I would be shocked unless Detroit antes up to $5M. Can you imagine the conversation between Babcock and Mrs. Babcock? Earn $6M in Buffalo or about half of that in Detroit. If Detroit doesn't budge from $3.25M, I like McKenzie's long shot that Babcock comes to Buffalo for $6M.

It's not just the annual salary -- it's the term.  If the Sabres are offering $6MM x 5 years for a total of $30MM, and the Wings are offering $3.25MM x 2 years for a total of $6.5MM -- there is really no decision to make.  He's taking the Sabres' offer.

This is just an opinion, but my spidey-sense is tingling badly on this Babcock deal. I don't like this apparent indecisiveness. How does a guy not know if he's leaving this far into the process?  Someone offers you $6M/yr. and you have to sleep on it?  What does this say about his commitment level to the Sabres if he accepts? He's acting like someone who can't decide who to marry. There are always regrets. 

Who says he doesn't know?  Just because we don't know doesn't mean he doesn't know.

@Sabres_Fans @JeremyWGR From today's blog: "Sabres’ overture is said to be wide–ranging with respect to money term and roster jurisdiction."

It is ON.

Apples and oranges.  Whaley is an inherited piece of what was, if not the worst organization in the NFL, clearly in the bottom 5.  GMTM was TP's guy, chosen after a thorough search (and yes, I know PLF ran the GM search, but I'm highly confident that TP was very much involved and was 100% on board with hiring him).

Two years? This team with Babcock could EASILY be battling for an 8 spot this year with one good trade and a tender of Neuvirth's ability

Neuvirth is the guy you choose for this assertion?  So once MB gets here we just need a journeyman goalie?

Really?

1. LaFontaine

2. Nolan

What does this mean?

Ummm where is this coming from or even close to substantiated???

Murray and Terry Pegula met with Mike Babcock. They have a relationship. He hired Babcock in Anaheim. It's not like Terry is going over GMTM's head.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/04/12/sabres-murray-searching-for-perfect-fit-after-firing-nolan-as-coach/

"In Tim Murray's perfect world, the Sabres' general manager would be good buddies with his coach. They would respect each other, chat often and agree on how personnel decisions should be made. Murray didn't have that with Ted Nolan, so the GM is looking for a new coach.

Buffalo fired Nolan on Sunday, one day after the Sabres finished their second straight last-place season. There is no timetable for hiring a replacement.

"We both said it's too bad it didn't work out," Murray said in First Niagara Center. "Is it chemistry? Maybe it's just chemistry. Maybe it's just two different personalities. You need chemistry on the ice, and you need chemistry off the ice.

"You have to find a perfect fit to be really successful, and maybe it just wasn't a perfect fit.""