The Reasons to Hate Tim Murray Thread

MBHockey13

I understand the lying about the 30th place. It's something he had to do. I don't like it but I totally understand it and there wasn't really anything else to say.

What I would truly like to know, however, is what his conversation were behind closed doors with Nolan about this precise issue. Did he lie to Nolan at all? Did he simply say, "Ted, you know the situation, you just play to win each night" and just leave it at that? Nolan almost had to confront him about Psyck. I assume that in other years, Murray would have sat down with the coach and argued with him over player decisions, but this year he simply wanted Nolan to fail (like most of us did, out of pragmatism not spite) so he didn't mind the bad choices.

But I still wonder what he actually told Nolan about getting rid of all the players. Maybe nothing. He did say before the season in public that he is going to try to get assets for everyone of our impending FA.

i will admit, my initial, knee-jerk reaction to nolan being fired was rage. blind, unadulterated fury.

then i had dinner, let my mind settle, and after a good roast and some potatoes, i came to the conclusion that it was simply inevitable. as has been mentioned on here and other boards umpteen millions of times, nolan isn't GMTM's yes-man; he's his own man, and i don't have a problem with that ... but Tim did, and in the end, it became too great a chasm to bridge. do i think ted could have gotten the job done? probably. hell, there were plenty of flashes of brilliance this season--sometimes only in-game, sometimes for stretches at a time. but make no mistake about it ... there were definite signs of congealing and this team starting to play like one unit. and teddy's the one who engineered that.

now that he's gone, i'm curious who they'll bring in. babcock? maybe. possibly, but not probably.

i'm more excited to see how lindback progresses. there were times over the last couple of games where he reminded me of ron hextall, between the aggressiveness after the play, the passing of the puck, coming way out of the net to play the puck ... i mean, obviously he's no hextall *yet*, but he has some good potential.

Not sure why someone would start a thread if they didn't agree with it's angle, regardless of what some chick says or whatever.

I personally really like Tim Murray.  I believe he does what's best for the franchise.  Like another poster said he is a straight shooter that doesn't BS the fans.

I believe he has a great hockey sense and knowledge, and he is one of the few GM's that really looks at the big picture instead of scraping by year after year in order to preserve his status.

I really believe he is building a winner for the long run, and that's exciting.

He obviously didn't get along with Nolan and that's unfortunate.  But as GM you have to be on the same page with your coach, and since he didn't hire Nolan he deserves the chance to atleast hire your own guy.

Some of the reasons the OP listed contradict each other, and it seems as if Murray was expected to just sit on his hands and do nothing.  Not sure what the purpose is to start a thread where you throw a bunch of s&*t at the wall and hope something hits home.

A GM is hired to make decisions.  As a fan if you respect the GM then you respect the decisions he makes.

So far i don't think Murray has done anything to lose confidence in his ability at GM, and I'm really excited to see who he brings in to lead this team into next season.

Not sure why someone would start a thread if they didn't agree with it's angle, regardless of what some chick says or whatever.

I personally really like Tim Murray.  I believe he does what's best for the franchise.  Like another poster said he is a straight shooter that doesn't BS the fans.

I believe he has a great hockey sense and knowledge, and he is one of the few GM's that really looks at the big picture instead of scraping by year after year in order to preserve his status.

I really believe he is building a winner for the long run, and that's exciting.

He obviously didn't get along with Nolan and that's unfortunate.  But as GM you have to be on the same page with your coach, and since he didn't hire Nolan he deserves the chance to atleast hire your own guy.

Some of the reasons the OP listed contradict each other, and it seems as if Murray was expected to just sit on his hands and do nothing.  Not sure what the purpose is to start a thread where you throw a bunch of s&*t at the wall and hope something hits home.

A GM is hired to make decisions.  As a fan if you respect the GM then you respect the decisions he makes.

So far i don't think Murray has done anything to lose confidence in his ability at GM, and I'm really excited to see who he brings in to lead this team into next season.

That's the point. I don't understand why people hate Tim Murray and claim to not want to be a Sabres fan until he's fired. And a lot of the arguments do contradict each other.

I agree with every point you made. :)

I don't know why it is so hard to think that Murray thought the team was going to to be better, then did his best to sell off pieces when it was clear that they weren't. Teams do that every year.

pulease... Not even passing the shart test.

Being straight forward can often be confused with icehole... A good GM knows how to be firm without being perceived as one... That being said the proof will come moving forward, but Murray has some growing up do himself... Again this is Buffalo, not Philly or NJ.

Edited by North Buffalo

Question: is there anyone professing hate for Murray who didn't want Nolan to stay on?

I agree Nolan had problems coaching developing players so letting him go is not a surprise, but it will interesting to see the alternative. Bringing in an unproven coach that is a Murray yes man should get Murray fired on the spot.

Edited by North Buffalo

That's the point. I don't understand why people hate Tim Murray and claim to not want to be a Sabres fan until he's fired. And a lot of the arguments do contradict each other.

I agree with every point you made. :)

I think that is the extreme, but I certainly am skeptical of Murray, and moves like this certainly don't endear him to me even if it was inevitable (as I liked Ted Nolan).  With that put aside, a rational opinion of Murray hinges on how you think we made out on the Kane trade, and how "pro Tank" you were.  If you liked that deal and were pro-Tank, it is natural why you don't understand the dislike for Murray.  If not, what has Murray done that has any value to date?  I personally don't care for the Kane trade, and was "Switzerland" with the whole tanking thing (I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a top pick, but I have serious misgivings about the toll it took on the "culture" both from a fan and team perspective.  I am downright starting to loathe a certain portion of the fanbase...but that is a whole different topic).  Adding the Nolan firing, is just another thing I am not crazy about.

I don't think its terribly fair to judge Murray thus far (although I thought the same about Nolan as well), but my skepticism/distrust will only grow if there isn't some appreciable growth on this team next year. 

I am aware my view is in the extreme minority, but its important to know the reasons why everyone isn't in on the Tim Murray love fest...even if you don't agree with those reasons.

I don't know why it is so hard to think that Murray thought the team was going to to be better, then did his best to sell off pieces when it was clear that they weren't. Teams do that every year.

The guy admitted he was obsessed (almost to the point of creepy) with McDavid.  That didn't JUST come on.  He's planned this the second he put in for the job.

Rage to Nolan's firing, I find that laughable.  The man has been fired for the same reason 2 other times including his previous stop in Buffalo.  For such a good person as he is, he doesn't seem to adapt or change his philosophy to work with a GM to stay on a certain plan of attack.  I will give him credit for sticking to his morals, but pride is also something that keeps you out of the coaching profession in the NHL.  "Lack of communication", again sums up all I need to hear.  He seems like a great guy and a straight forward work hard work ethic type, and I appreciate that...but I'm hardly shocked, if anything I saw this coming in December.  

43.  He's a Buffalo sports figure and no one worth anything voluntarily comes to Buffalo so therefore he must be flawed.

44. Tim Murray used Ted Nolan by giving a coach he didn't hire a three year contract and then firing him a year later after two last place finishes with historically bad Corsi numbers

45. Tim Murray only cared about draft position

46. Tim Murray inspired the use of the phrase "Zero F###s Given" which is starting to annoy some people

I'll add more as I come across other stupid reasons people are supposed to love Ted Nolan and hate Tim Murray.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.