Sabres only need 1 regulation loss in last 3 games to clinch last place now...

matter2003

By far the best article I have read on the topic all season.

Are you serious? It's garbage. Criticizing fans who cheered for the Coyotes in the frickin' arena does not imply that fans who want the Sabres to lose should be criticized. The article was one giant strawman, and a poorly written one at that.

Love the caption under the photo of those fans. "These fans aren't wrong." Why are these schmucks always looking backwards into the crowd, needling? Trolls. Nothing more.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Are you serious? It's garbage. Criticizing fans who cheered for the Coyotes in the frickin' arena does not imply that fans who want the Sabres to lose should be criticized. The article was one giant strawman, and a poorly written one at that.

Love the caption under the photo of those fans. "These fans aren't wrong." Why are these schmucks always looking backwards into the crowd, needling? Trolls. Nothing more.

That photo is great. You can see all the Sabres fans happy the Coyotes scored, but also the anti-tankers, like the dude in the top row. Then there's a kid wearing a Edmonton Oilers jersey... i dont know what thats all about. lol

If you believe in karma and the "Hockey Gods" you have to wonder if all this wishing for Sabres losses that has been going on will have an impact. What is that saying, be careful what you wish for. What if the "Hockey Gods" grant the wishes of some and the Sabres lose out and get 30th pick. The "season" isn't over, what if the "Gods" while granting this wish consider the "lottery" part of the season and the "Gods" cause the Sabres to lose out on the lottery and the Sabres have to settle for 29th and a team like the Leafs or Philadelphia wins McDavid? "Gods" are cruel and are often pranksters, just look at platypuses and Republicans. The desires of some may be the downfall of us all.

In won't be cruel gods if we don't win the lottery, it will be the 4:1 odds (at best) against it.  As others have stated, Eichel is the main prize; McDavid is the possible bonus.  My excitement for clinching 30th would be far more than my excitement for winning the lottery if we do (likewise, if we finish 29th, the excitement for either Buffalo or Arizona winning the lottery would be far more than for knowing which one won it.)  Both would be great, but the gap from #3 to #2 is much more than the gap from #2 to #1.

Edited by carpandean

In won't be cruel gods if we don't win the lottery, it will be the 4:1 odds (at best) against it.  As others have stated, Eichel is the main prize; McDavid is the possible bonus.  My excitement for clinching 30th would be far more than my excitement for winning the lottery if we do (likewise, if we finish 29th, the excitement for either Buffalo or Arizona winning the lottery would be far more than for knowing which one won it.)  Both would be great, but the gap from #3 to #2 is much more than the gap from #2 to #1.

It's amazing to me that we're entering the final week of the season and still, people need to keep on explaining this.

Just look at the past 15 Stanley Cup champions. Twelve of them had at least one top-three pick of their own on the roster playing a significant role, or a player acquired because they had a top-three pick.

I'm not a stat genius, but what portion of NHL teams have a top-three pick on their roster?

All I know is if the Sabres clinch 30th BEFORE the Pittsburgh game, then the atmosphere in the building should be great for "fan appreciation night".  You'll finally get to see Sabre fans cheering the team, maybe in a way we haven't seen in a couple of years.  Not only will everyone want them to win, but its going to truly feel like the End of this whole process, and, in a way, the beginning of the new chapter EVERYONE has been looking for. That is what that Pittsburgh game might feel like.

Even better if the Penguins need the win to clinch a playoff spot.  They may be fighting for their playoff lives; how awesome would it be for the Sabres to knock them out of the playoffs?  THAT would truly signify the end of tanking and the fans would go wild.  Ol' Mike Weber might even like the fans again.

If you're not ecstatic about Eichel, you don't watch minor hockey or you can't evaluate talent or you can't read the pages and pages of scouting reports. So which is it Andrew Amerk. Can't watch, read or analyze (hope you're not blind)? 

Like many have said, the whole goal of the tank was to ensure Eichel. I've trained myself to like his franchise story even more. A boon for USA hockey after what has been a decade of strong national momentum, right here on display in Buffalo. Match this with all the work that Terry has done with the Harbor Center and the organization has done in attracting U-18 events here and this fantasy tale could very well end with a new Hockeytown USA.  

You have trained yourself to like this franchise story?   :doh:

I am proud Butterball Turkey of the Glorious Butterball Franchise!  

I have also trained self to like franchise story.  Seig Heil!  Gobble, gobble.  :cry:

Yup.

What about the Yotes?  Obviously the Eulers do.  I guess my point is they use the 12/15 stat in the article to demonstrate the importance of top-3 picks, but if, say 26/30 of all NHL teams have a top-3 pick, that stat is meaningless.

What about the Yotes?  Obviously the Eulers do.  I guess my point is they use the 12/15 stat in the article to demonstrate the importance of top-3 picks, but if, say 26/30 of all NHL teams have a top-3 pick, that stat is meaningless.

My quick count is 15 teams have at least one top 3 pick on their roster (from 2005-present) right now.  Was a quick scan. I could be off.  I'm not sure how meaningful the stat really is.

As of right now, Buffalo has two, Bogosian and Reinhart.  Well, Reinhart when he actually makes the squad.

Looking at McEichel teams-

Buffalo- yes

Coyotes- no

Toronto - yes (JVR and Kessel)

Edmonton- yes

Carolina- yes (jordan and eric staal)

columbus - no

colorado - yes

philly - no

Edited by Moulson26

My quick count is 15 teams have at least one top 3 pick on their roster (from 2005-present) right now.  Was a quick scan. I could be off.  I'm not sure how meaningful the stat really is.

As of right now, Buffalo has two, Bogosian and Reinhart.  Well, Reinhart when he actually makes the squad.

Evander Kane was 4th overall, FWIW.

I'm not sure how meaningful the stat is either.  A first overall pick is almost always a great player.  Picks 2+ depend a lot on the draft year.  Ristolainen was 8th overall in a loaded draft.

I'm not a stat genius, but what portion of NHL teams have a top-three pick on their roster?

There's quite a few

We'll have Bogo, plus Reinhart and this year's pick. Kane was picked fourth.

Florida has Ekblad, Barkov, Gudbranson and Huberdeau.

TB has Stamkos, Drouin and Hedman

Habs have Galchenyuk

Bruins have no one.

Red Wings have no one

Leafs have JVR 

Ottawa Turris, Ryan, Legwand and Phillips

Oilers have Hall, RNH, Yakupov and Draisaitl

Calgary nobody (Bennet was fourth)

Kings have Doughty and Gaborik

Sharks have Thornton and Marleau

Canucks have the Sedins

Ducks have no one

Phoenix no one

Dallas has Seguin, Spezza and Lehtonen

Blues Bouwmeester and Jokinen (Pietrangelo was fourth)

Hawks Kane and Toews

Nashville has no one (Jones was fourth)

Jets have no one

Minnesota no one
Avs have MacKinnon, Duchene, Johnson, Stuart and Landeskog

Canes the Staal brothers

Caps Ovechkin (Backstrom fourth)

Pit has Fleury, Malkin and Crosby

Isles have Tavares (Reinhart was fourth)

NJ nobody (Larsson fourth)

Rangers have Nash

Flyers have Lecavalier

Columbus has Murray and Jack Johnson (Johansen 4th)

Edited by dudacek

All I know is if the Sabres clinch 30th BEFORE the Pittsburgh game, then the atmosphere in the building should be great for "fan appreciation night".  You'll finally get to see Sabre fans cheering the team, maybe in a way we haven't seen in a couple of years.  Not only will everyone want them to win, but its going to truly feel like the End of this whole process, and, in a way, the beginning of the new chapter EVERYONE has been looking for. That is what that Pittsburgh game might feel like.

Agree 100% with this.  The sooner we get this over with the sooner we can go back to cheering for the good guys

Ok, I was just a little kid at the time, but if the Sabres end up with Eichel and Reinhart playing for them next year, it is going to feel a lot like the early days of the Sabres drafting Turgeon and then shortly after the news of Mogilny defecting from Russia.

It may not turn out the same way, but the FEELING i'll get (the feeling of optimism and excitement) seems like it is going to be similar.

Well we meet that qualification when Rheinhart starts playing

We have it right now with Bogo.

So, 22 out of 30 teams have at least one top 3 pick.  Yeah, its no wonder so many SC winners have a top 3 player on the roster.  that stat is meaningless.

That's why I'm an EN GIN EAR.  I notice stuff like that.

What about the Yotes? Obviously the Eulers do. I guess my point is they use the 12/15 stat in the article to demonstrate the importance of top-3 picks, but if, say 26/30 of all NHL teams have a top-3 pick, that stat is meaningless.

Coyote fans don't even know what's going on...they in no way shape or form deserve either of those players

We have it right now with Bogo.

That's why I'm an EN GIN EAR. I notice stuff like that.

Lol I forgot about Bogo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.