Casey Bailey, Matt O'connor. Any other college free agents?

tom webster

One of the factors that could benefit the Sabres in signing some of these college FA's is the ability to guarantee NHL ice time for the remainder of the season. IIRC, this was a factor in being able to sign Ruhweedel (sp?) last year over some of his other suitors. Now obviously that didn't turn him into a NHL player, but winning the bidding war at least gives us first look.

One of the factors that could benefit the Sabres in signing some of these college FA's is the ability to guarantee NHL ice time for the remainder of the season. IIRC, this was a factor in being able to sign Ruhweedel (sp?) last year over some of his other suitors. Now obviously that didn't turn him into a NHL player, but winning the bidding war at least gives us first look.

Absolutely, I watched some of Bailey's stuff, he has a nice shot.  I'm all about signing him and O'Connor should we have the opportunity.  

I love Bailey and O'Connor, desperately want both of them...I have seen Bailey play in-person quite a few times this year, the kid is a beast and plays a tough game and has a beautiful shot too.

However, I just realized...BU is probably going far in the tournament, their last game could be on April 11th, same day as the Sabres' last game...so O'Connor wouldn't get any playing time.

As for Bailey, I am sure we have the inside track on him, given he sees Pegula's name every day he goes to the rink, and wouldn't be playing D1 hockey at PSU if not for Terry Pegula. As for O'Connor, I am sure knows Murray's track record at finding good, big goalies, ones from the NCAA route too...he has to see an opportunity here, especially with his teammate and best friend possibly being drafted by Buffalo.

I would consider landing these two a huge win for Murray...almost like having a couple extra 2nd round picks.

The other two I was interested in are Matt Garbowsky, a big-time scorer from RIT...and Cole Bardreau from Cornell, who already signed with the Flyers. (Saw them both each a couple times too.)

(Here is my big wish, GMTM!)

https://twitter.com/BUFFAL0SOLDI3R/status/577151320869715968

McKenzie: College UFA Casey Bailey of Penn State expected to sign today with an NHL team. TOR is a top contender to get the goal-scoring forward.

The plot thickens...

LaVoie: Penn St F Casey Bailey was considered a lock for Buffalo, but word is that may not occur with Toronto, among others, making a play.

TOR close to getting Penn State UFA Casey Bailey. Bailey was looking for 2-yr entry level deal, 1st year gets burned now. Should get done.

Went for the Ruhwedel clause..

Any team signing Bailey had to agree to burn 1st yr of contract now, Bailey immediately going to NHL club and playing games this season.

Most assumed BUF, with owner Terry Pegula's connection to Penn State, would get Bailey, but TOR aggressively pursued.

Edited by Tank

maybe he didnt want to be in a system where he would be competing for roster spots with all of our prospects who are going to be turning pro this next 1-2 years.  Toronto has some good prospects, but they are further away than ours.  A team is only going to carry so many young players, so grigs/larsson/baptiste/fasching/reinhart/schaller could actually hurt us attracting college UFAs.  Just my theory, not sure if it makes sense haha

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

maybe he didnt want to be in a system where he would be competing for roster spots with all of our prospects who are going to be turning pro this next 1-2 years.  Toronto has some good prospects, but they are further away than ours.  A team is only going to carry so many young players, so grigs/larsson/baptiste/fasching/reinhart/schaller could actually hurt us attracting college UFAs.  Just my theory, not sure if it makes sense haha

I think you're right.

If they decided he wasn't good enough, I am alright with that but right now it seems like a continuation of Buffalo getting the second tier guys and missing out on the top tier. Buffalo signs Chad R and Tim Schaller, Detroit gets Dekeyser, etc. etc.

In this case I honestly believe that Bailey simply thought he'd get a better opportunity long term in Toronto with their barren farm system.

Well it looks like he wanted buffalo, but sabres weren't willing to let him play this year

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/men_hockey/article_b0445f78-d01d-11e4-b6d4-6b8224629afa.html

I think it's a safe assumption Murray didn't think too highly of him in that case.  Let's hope he doesn't become...good

“It’s beyond words,” Glen Bailey, Casey’s dad said in a phone interview. “I’m so happy. It’s crazy.”

Bailey will become the first Lion to play in the NHL in school history, and playing immediately was something important to him. Glen said Casey had lengthy discussions with the Buffalo Sabres, who are owned by Terry Pegula — Penn State alumnus and benefactor of the Division I program.

But the Sabres wanted Bailey to wait to play until next season, Glen said.

“Until today, I thought he was going to Buffalo,” Glen said.

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.