Casey Bailey, Matt O'connor. Any other college free agents?

tom webster

TOR close to getting Penn State UFA Casey Bailey. Bailey was looking for 2-yr entry level deal, 1st year gets burned now. Should get done.

Went for the Ruhwedel clause..

Any team signing Bailey had to agree to burn 1st yr of contract now, Bailey immediately going to NHL club and playing games this season.

Most assumed BUF, with owner Terry Pegula's connection to Penn State, would get Bailey, but TOR aggressively pursued.

he will play this year screw up the tank... if he does well we can make a play in two years.. right

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant after his contract expires next year.  It is a 2 year contract through 2015-2016.  But after that is he a RFA or UFA?  I believe he'll be 25 then?

He's a UFA today and will still be one in 2 years.  His age doesn't matter because of college free agent rules.

He's a UFA today and will still be one in 2 years. His age doesn't matter because of college free agent rules.

I thought a player either has to play 7 years or turn 27 before June 30th to be a UFA, or else they are a RFA. I thought college free agents were no exception. But Im not surprised if I'm wrong.

And what do you mean he is a UFA and still will be one. He just signed a contract and isn't a UFA.

This stuff sometimes goes over my head lol, thanks

Edit: everything in reading says he'll be an RFA after his 2 year ELC, not a UFA

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

I thought a player either has to play 7 years or turn 27 before June 30th to be a UFA, or else they are a RFA. I thought college free agents were no exception. But Im not surprised if I'm wrong.

And what do you mean he is a UFA and still will be one. He just signed a contract and isn't a UFA.

This stuff sometimes goes over my head lol, thanks

I believe that the exact section of the Group 6 section D.   They are draft related UFA's 

"Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b). (ii) Each Player referred to in subsection (d)(i) above shall, during the period of his Free Agency in accordance with Section 8.9(b), if applicable, be 30 ARTICLE 10 10.2-10.2 completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction subject to the provisions of Article 9 of this Agreement, if applicable, and without being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind."

So because 21yr olds are no longer draft eligible if they have not been drafted they are UFA's.  I said he will stay one because you implied that after his 2 year deal he would be an RFA, he won't he is a UFA from now on.  He can sign contracts with any team after his current deals expire.  So in a year (July 1, 2016) Bailey can sign with any team or he can resign with Toronto but Toronto on july 1 2016 doesn't have RFA protections for Bailey.  Bailey is a UFA in the same sense Josh Gorges is a UFA, they are not protected by anything once those contracts expire, they can just walk and sign anywhere.

I believe that the exact section of the Group 6 section D. They are draft related UFA's

"Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b). (ii) Each Player referred to in subsection (d)(i) above shall, during the period of his Free Agency in accordance with Section 8.9(b), if applicable, be 30 ARTICLE 10 10.2-10.2 completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction subject to the provisions of Article 9 of this Agreement, if applicable, and without being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind."

So because 21yr olds are no longer draft eligible if they have not been drafted they are UFA's. I said he will stay one because you implied that after his 2 year deal he would be an RFA, he won't he is a UFA from now on. He can sign contracts with any team after his current deals expire. So in a year (July 1, 2016) Bailey can sign with any team or he can resign with Toronto but Toronto on july 1 2016 doesn't have RFA protections for Bailey. Bailey is a UFA in the same sense Josh Gorges is a UFA, they are not protected by anything once those contracts expire, they can just walk and sign anywhere.

I think that section refers exclusively to what Bailey was as of yesterday. Once he signs his first ELC that section no longer applies to him (he wasn't future draft eligible and therefore was a true UFA free to sign anywhere which he did. But now he is on a ELC and the rules apply to him)

Yea, dekeyser signed a similar deal at the same age and was an RFA last season, and will still be an RFA at the end of this new deal. I think 7 years experience or 27 years old still applies to college UFAs who sign an ELC

Maybe, someone with more CBA knowledge might know. It wasn't the way I read it but I could easily be wrong.

Well, considering Dekeyser was and will be an RFA coming from the exact same situation, it's safe to say that you're off. Bailey will have to wait to get to his UFA status again.

College UFA Watch

1. Matthew O'Connor, G  - Boston Univ.

2. Case Bailey, RW, SIGNED

3. Kyle Baun, RW  - SIGNED

4. Troy Strecher, RD - Univ. of North Dakota 

5. Kenny Morrison, RD - SIGNED

6. Gavin Bayreuther, LD - FREE AGENT

7. Daniel Doremus, C - Univ. of Denver

8. Ahti Oksanen, LW - Boston Univ. 

9. Austin Czarnik, C - FREE AGENT

10. Hampus Gustafsson, C - FREE AGENT

11. Thomas Parisi, LD - Providence College 

12. Evan Rodrigues, RW - Boston Univ.

13. Nicholas Saracino, LW - Providence College

14. Tanner Kero, C - FREE AGENT

15. Andrew Gladiuk, RW - FREE AGENT

16. Drew Brevig, RD - FREE AGENT

Any of these others worth adding?  Outside of O'Connor?

I wouldn't mind targeting o'connor (legit goalie prospect), baun (legit bottom 6 prospect), stecher (only 20 so why not), bayreuther (only 20 so why not), oksanen (good size, versatile, good for rochester if nothing else), gustaffson (another super swede baby), and parisi (only 21 and solid defensively)

As far as talent, I think the main ones this year was bailey, o'connor, baun, morrison and stecher

McKenzie: Colgate's Kyle Baun, sought after UFA, likely to take tonite before deciding where to sign. CHI, DET, CGY, WPG, EDM amongst most interested.

BU goalie Matt O'Connor, who plays at 2 pm Fri vs Yale in NCAAs, is another UFA in demand. BUF, NYR, OTT and EDM amongst the frontrunners.

looks like a 2 year deal and he will play immediately and burn his first year

College UFA Watch

7. Daniel Doremus, C - FREE AGENT

9. Austin Czarnik, C - FREE AGENT

14. Tanner Kero, C - FREE AGENT

looks like a 2 year deal and he will play immediately and burn his first year

College UFA Watch

1. Matthew O'Connor, G - Boston Univ.

2. Case Bailey, RW, SIGNED

3. Kyle Baun, RW - SIGNED

4. Troy Strecher, RD - Univ. of North Dakota

5. Kenny Morrison, RD - SIGNED

6. Gavin Bayreuther, LD - FREE AGENT

7. Daniel Doremus, C - Univ. of Denver

8. Ahti Oksanen, LW - Boston Univ.

9. Austin Czarnik, C - Miami University (Ohio)

10. Hampus Gustafsson, C - FREE AGENT

11. Thomas Parisi, LD - Providence College

12. Evan Rodrigues, RW - Boston Univ.

13. Nicholas Saracino, LW - Providence College

14. Tanner Kero, C - Michigan Tech

15. Andrew Gladiuk, RW - FREE AGENT

16. Drew Brevig, RD - FREE AGENT

Will Baun burn a year, though? He'll play less than nine games.

Will Baun burn a year, though? He'll play less than nine games.

i dont get that either.  Same with bailey, why cant a team just play him less than 9 (i think tor signed him with 10 games left)

but (and general consensus agrees), 

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Baun's deal with CHI is two-year entry level. Will burn 1st year now by playing game(s) this season.

I'm wondering if Matt Garbowsky from RIT will garner any attention coming out.  He's a Hobey Baker finalist, top 5 scorer, and leader in faceoff wins.  Hope to see him do well.  

Tanner Kero is pretty good at the college level.  Could see him getting signed.  

He's played very well this season.  :D

College UFA Watch

7. Daniel Doremus, C - FREE AGENT

9. Austin Czarnik, C - SIGNED

14. Tanner Kero, C - SIGNED

Bruins signed Czarnik

Matt Garbowsky will play on an ATO with the Amerks for the rest of the season. Has already signed a one year deal with the Amerks for next season. 

Would be great if this kid proved he was NHL material. The Sabres can always use more centers.  :angel:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.