GDT: Sabres at Blue Jackets 2/24/2015 7pm MSG

Brawndo

Tank, on 25 Feb 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

There's 21 games left and we're closer than ever and now we can't use the word tank? The resolve of the "Somedays I do Somedays I don't" tank crowd is impressive.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with it at this point.  The obviousness of it is obvious.  We have all come this far whether we wanted to or not.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with it at this point.  The obviousness of it is obvious.  We have all come this far whether we wanted to or not.

Yeah, I'm totally on board now too (actually since the new year), but hearing people piss and moan that we should get rid of Neuvirth because he is too good is just stupid and whiny.  Nobody said the tank was going to be easy.  Nut up and shut up.

I agree.  There is no reason why we can't win without McJesus and no reason why we will automatically win with him.  If the "unthinkable" happens and the Sabres win a few games down the stretch then we still have the draft lottery (McDavid) and worst-case scenario we end up with one of the better defense prospects in years (Hanifin).  And, guys like Strome and Marner might have gone ahead of Reinhart were they in last year's draft.  No matter what happens we will have back-to-back top-5 picks, a stocked system, and a ton of cash to spend.

My theory on winning differs from that of most on this forum.  I think scoring gets you to the playoffs, but defense and goaltending wins you the Cup.  So I personally don't hate the idea of Hanifin should the "unthinkable" happen.

Exactly... the answer to the multiple choice question that is "How to win a Stanley Cup?" is not necesssarily A, but "all of the above".

Can we not talk about the tank? It's annoying enough that it even exists.

I would love for this to happen.  I'm just tired of the insinuations that the anti-tankers are idiots simply because we hold a different view than the pro-tankers.  Neither of us are necessarily right, so we should stop trying to convince one another and just coexist for the remainder of the season.

I have no idea how to do the Russian translation everyone has grown fond of using lately, but coming from you I will take it as a compliment of sorts. :)

That is a direct translation of *biodork* in Russian.

The Russian language is very romantic to me and they use a different letter for everything.

It's not a matter of who is right between the pro and anti-tankers. It's a matter of bringing it up in every thread! Give it a rest, really. Everywhere I look it's about tanking. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to stop coming in here and stop following all BFLO media and sports on Twitter. I'm really enjoying hockey less and less and it has nothing to do with the Sabres' record. Unfortunate that some can't have the common courtesy to contain themselves. 

By "every thread" do you just mean game day threads and, ya know, tank threads. Game threads are the obvious place that people will talk about it after the game... And then the draft, carrion and trade speculation thread are obvious territory for it.

... and the Girgensons injury thread, and the Kane trade thread, and the trade speculation threads.... it's EVERYWHERE.

I'm just going to stop coming in here and stop following all BFLO media and sports on Twitter. I'm really enjoying hockey less and less and it has nothing to do with the Sabres' record. Unfortunate that some can't have the common courtesy to contain themselves. 

You wont be happy with that.

If

biodork, on 25 Feb 2015 - 1:22 PM, said:

... and the Girgensons injury thread, and the Kane trade thread, and the trade speculation threads.... it's EVERYWHERE.

The problem is that the Sabres are tanking.  If they were a top 5 team looking at a serious playoff run, then people would be talking about the playoff run in the Girgensons' thread because it affects the playoff run.

Whatever the team strategy is for the foreseeable future, whatever the long-term outlook for success (or failure), whatever has happened in the past, whatever the day-to-day dramas are, it's all tied together.  You can't, at this point, not only in this season, but in this period for the Sabres, you can't untangle what's happening and try and pretend one thing exists in a vacuum.

Edited by Zhvikov Sizzlemeistovich

If

The problem is that the Sabres are tanking. If they were a top 5 team looking at a serious playoff run, then people would be talking about the playoff run in the Girgensons' thread because it affects the playoff run.

Whatever the team strategy is for the foreseeable future, whatever the long-term outlook for success (or failure), whatever has happened in the past, whatever the day-to-day dramas are, it's all tied together. You can't, at this point, not only in this season, but in this period for the Sabres, you can't untangle what's happening and try and pretend one thing exists in a vacuum.

Well said.

If

The problem is that the Sabres are tanking.  If they were a top 5 team looking at a serious playoff run, then people would be talking about the playoff run in the Girgensons' thread because it affects the playoff run.

Whatever the team strategy is for the foreseeable future, whatever the long-term outlook for success (or failure), whatever has happened in the past, whatever the day-to-day dramas are, it's all tied together.  You can't, at this point, not only in this season, but in this period for the Sabres, you can't untangle what's happening and try and pretend one thing exists in a vacuum.

I know, and I'm somewhat resigned to that.  But Tank's post seems to suggest it's not everywhere, when it really is.  And you're probably right that it's unavoidable in a lot of cases (trade threads especially), but it's too much sometimes.

Case in point (from the Girgensons injury thread):

I'll play

sabres-tank1.jpg

Not necessary.

Maybe this should go in the Awesome thread, but Google translates "Pie" as "Pirog" (as in, the singular form of pirogi). I love me some pirogi (or pierogi).

Pierogi belongs in awesome thread.. no doubt..

Oh, yeah!!

The ... удивительным нить ... it is!!

biodork, on 25 Feb 2015 - 1:31 PM, said:biodork, on 25 Feb 2015 - 1:31 PM, said:

I know, and I'm somewhat resigned to that.  But Tank's post seems to suggest it's not everywhere, when it really is.  And you're probably right that it's unavoidable in a lot of cases (trade threads especially), but it's too much sometimes.

Case in point (from the Girgensons injury thread):

Not necessary.

Well, perhaps you might mean that it's old now? Not necessarily too much, but maybe too much over time.  The joke is tired.  It's wearing on us all, and I would say most tankers are tired of it, too.   You're always going to have your out-liers who are, mmm, lacking tact.   This would be true regardless. 

This is like a crappy season in reverse.  We are mourning for the Sabres while the season is still in play, and will be excited for them once the season is over with.  I think regardless of this season's outcome (read: our draft position) we will ALL be happy the season is over with.

Edited by Zhvikov Sizzlemeistovich

Well, perhaps you might mean that it's old now? Not necessarily too much, but maybe too much over time.  The joke is tired.  It's wearing on us all, and I would say most tankers are tired of it, too.   You're always going to have your out-liers who are, mmm, lacking tact.   This would be true regardless. 

This is like a crappy season in reverse.  We are mourning for the Sabres while the season is still in play, and will be excited for them once the season is over with.  I think regardless of this season's outcome (read: our draft position) we will ALL be happy the season is over with.

This is probably a fair characterization.

I'm talking like there is still some season left, and the relentless tank talk will be tenfold the last 21 games compared to the first 62. 

Why wouldn't it be?  It's the playoffs of tankdom.

Unfortunate that some can't have the common courtesy to contain themselves. 

Also, this notion, on an internet message board or in sports fandom, is ludicrous.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.