OT: THE DOLLAR SHAVE CLUB

MILFHUNTER#518

I started using this service a couple months ago, partially because of my disgust for paying ridiculous amounts of $$$ for my Gillette razors, and partially because of my hate for the New England Patricheats (their stadium is sponsored by Gillette.) I am very pleased so far with the value I have received with this service. I have the mid lever service for $6 per month. I get a shipment of 4 4 blade razors per month, of good quality and a free handle when you first start off with the service. The handle is of excellent quality, metallic and has some weight to it. I am overall pleased.

However, I have seen other mail order razor deals out there, and want to know if any of you esteemed individuals have partaken in any of them. Also if you have taken the leap to the DSC, what is your feedback? 

Coming out of retirement from posting just for this... I am a member of DSC and think its absolutely well done.  I have been a member for two years or so and their product is good... really, i just love their marketing and the idea and it does feel a need for me and it's worth supporting.  

Their customer service is excellent (i wanted to cancel a shipment that was already in process and they were unable to do so in their scheduling, but made it so that i wasn't charged).  

The only issue i see with their service is just my own behaviors.  Sometimes i use a razor, sometimes i use a trimmer.  As a result, i have a few extra cartridges.  

I JUST left them. It's a great shave but the irritation was too much. Trying Harry's but so far it's not going well. Razors are too close so they are hard to clean out which means fine hairs scrubbing on your skin as you shave. Also got more cuts than I ever had shaving. If it doesn't improve I'm moving on to the safety razor for good.

(For the record: Harry's completely produces their entire product on their own where DSC buys mass razors from China and sells them on the cheap. Both have incredible marketing groups, though. Good for shaving to bring in some competition but the return of the safety razor will change a lot).

Edited by Tank

We should consider expanding the scope of this thread to "shaving."  I think a lot of you neckbeards would have some sage advice on this.  And I know it's winter, but it was just Valentine's Day, so the forum women probably also have tips.

Before going full beard myself more than a year ago, I used the Gillette $$$ razors.  I tried rotary electric for a while (~10 years ago), but that sucked because the shaves weren't close.  The upside with the $$$ razors is that my hair is fine enough to not wear them out that often.  Even with full beard, I still do some touch up work with a few leftover cartridges, but if I were to shave or start shaving more, I was thinking I'd a) try out one of these shave club deals, b) try a classic Merkur-style safety razor, or c) go full badass and take me life in my own hands with a straight razor.  I've got steady hands, but maybe not the patience for c).

Edited by IKnowPhysics

We should consider expanding the scope of this thread to "shaving."  I think a lot of you neckbeards would have some sage advice on this.  And I know it's winter, but it was just Valentine's Day, so the forum women probably also have tips.

Before going full beard myself more than a year ago, I used the Gillette $$$ razors.  I tried rotary electric for a while (~10 years ago), but that sucked because the shaves weren't close.  The upside with the $$$ razors is that my hair is fine enough to not wear them out that often.  Even with full beard, I still do some touch up work with a few leftover cartridges, but if I were to shave or start shaving more, I was thinking I'd a) try out one of these shave club deals, b) try a classic Merkur-style safety razor, or c) go full badass and take me life in my own hands with a straight razor.  I've got steady hands, but maybe not the patience for c).

Not a bad idea. I've been doing some research the last couple of weeks with double-edged safety razors. There is a huge selection online, but tough to find around town so it's difficult to compare. I'd be open to some recommendations. I need the whole setup, brush, soap/cream, blades, razor.......... would be willing to spend $100-120 for a modest setup to test rather I like it or not. 

Haven't used a gilette in years. I steal my wife's disposable lady razor to shave my balls in the shower, but other than that I use a straight razor or beard trimmer if I am going that route. I read up on straight razors and got proficient a few years ago but it is more of a hobby than a way to save money. I've been wanting to try a safety razor but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I will say I used to like the single blade bic metals for a cheap, comfortable shave that will work in an airline carry on, but I think they stopped making them.

Lol and just saw an ad for DSC for the first time in forever. What are the chances?

Probably cookie tracking in some fashion. It wouldn't surprise me if the ad companies put together "bio visits SS" and "some people on SS are talking about razors", even if you hadn't looked at the thread yet.

I bought a Harry's handle (bright orange) and 4 blades awhile back. It's a nice razor, I like it. Seems like there was a bit of a drop-off of sharpness after using a cartridge for a week, but it still shaves well enough for me so I go for a month or two with each cartridge. It helps that I have a full beard and I'm only shaping and man-scaping ;). I usually shave in the shower, so cleaning the blades out is easy and I haven't noticed Tank's issue cleaning.

For cream, I've been using Kiss My Face (lime or something), it's OK and nice that it's natural, but it doesn't lubricate as well as any of the blue-goo or Aveno Oatmeal stuff I used previously.

Edited by MattPie

Been using DSC for a couple years now. I get the high end blades that I think are $9 a month. I am only a 2-3 shaves a week guy, so I have the blades delivered every other month. Even at that rate I still have extras. I think their customer service is really good too. I like that you can push off the delivery of the blades for an extra month if you still have a good supply on hand. I think the quality is decent enough that it makes it very hard to justify the $30 store bought blades ever again. 

Edited by Rico7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.